Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching colours, options and sizes etc. I've found a combo I liked but I want owners advice / experience.
I drove a Go mango 2017 RT Shaker Scat pack with a 6 sp. man. Loved the car its a beast. Not a fan of the new car price bite and I can easily live with one a yr old or a demo to avoid
getting the initial big price.
Interested in your input on a few points. Keep in mind this is not going to be a daily driver as I work on construction sites. I have a Ranger for that now.

- 5.7 vs 6.4, Pretty sure I want the 6.4
- Auto vs Stick ( in the videos the auto wins the race), Scared to get stuck in Toronto downtown stop n go with a 6 speed, lol.
- Is the Shaker intake worth it. People tell me its the fastest R/T by having it.
- Scat pack..... worth it? What does it do?
- Super track pack. What does it do ( what is it ?) There is a button on the dash to do something.
- Is there a launch mode ( i.e. line locks) possible with a 6 sp. man. ?
- Is the big Harman Kardon sound system worth buying compared to the Alpine 9 sp?
- What are the " must have " options ?
- Mods you'd suggest ?

I'd like to learn and be wise before buying because of your advice.
any tips would be great .
Thanks
:smile:

·
Super Moderator
13,553 Posts
To get the best performance bang for your buck, I would buy a low-mileage R/T Scat Pack, with the 8-speed automatic. Before the Scat Packs, you had to buy the more expensive SRT model to get the biggest engine, Brembo brakes, etc. The Scat Pack is, basically, a budget SRT.

The shaker hood looks cool, but it doesn't add anything to performance. However, if you can find a Shaker Scat Pack, for a good price, grab it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to Challenger Talk. I'm a newbie myself awaiting the delivery of a new 2019. I've done a bunch of reading on here and other Challenger sites trying to gather as much info as possible.

Aside from a SRT 6.4 or 6.4 T/A the Scat Pack is the only other way to get the 6.4 so your question 1 & 4 are kind of married together unless you go T/A 6.4 or SRT. I ordered a 2019 Scat, there is no longer a 6.4 SRT for model year 2019.

I'm not a fan of the Shaker but's thats just personal taste and show know disrespect to those who are "Shakin". I don't think any real seat of the pants gains are noticed by the shaker either.

I ordered my 2019 Scat with only 2 options, the Wide Body option and the Harmon Kardon System. I'm not sure if the HK is better or worse than the Alpine upgrade and I've read both on the forums. I'll post my opinion once I have the car.

I went 6-speed because it's not a daily driver and I wanted to shift myself. I know the 8-speed is a sweet transmission, and the auto is actually faster, but this is my muscle car and I wanted some additional driver input. If I drove in heavy traffic regularly I might have reconsidered.

Can't help with the other stuff until I have my car in my hands.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I wouldn't do anything different. Ordered my '16 A8 SP with two options.

WRT wheels and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Totally happy for almost 3 years now.

Didn't want or need anything else.

EDIT: If I was ordering today, I would have to consider the WB option, and that would be it. Still would stay with the A8 though.

Best of luck on your quest.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,092 Posts
There will be no next time. I got what I wanted to begin with, and I get to mod it until there ain't no more mods to be had; something that will never happen. To put it in perspective, just look at the guys retro-modding their garage finds. Once the right ride is in the driveway the fun begins...

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Picked up a 2015 A8 Sublime Green Scat Pack 3 years ago that was a demo car on a lot near me. Zero regrets. Saved a ton over ordering a new one, came pretty much fully loaded, and since then I've done some basic mods to make it pretty quick at the dragstrip. It's been a great car, can't really say anything bad about it honestly.

I think the whole A8 vs M6 thing is really just personal preference. I've had both transmissions, they are both great in their own way. The M6 is more fun to drive in my opinion, but the A8 is definitely faster, as in .3-.5 faster at the dragstrip, which is huge in drag racing. Best thing to do would be to drive one of each, and then envision what type of driving would you be doing most of the time and how would that trans fit that duty?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Having had a 5.7 6spd, 6.1 6spd, 6.4 6spd SRT And currently a 6.4 auto SRT. The auto is worth it if you drag race otherwise the 6spd manual is a great transmission. If you live in a big city and this is your commuter car you have to decide about the transmission. I don’t think the stereo upgrade is worth it. I don’t know if it is the acoustic’s of the car but I don’t think either have great sound (as opposed to the alpine system in in my 2012 Ram which sounds great). The shaker is a great visual mod but adds no power. The 5.7 has more then enough power to easily get you north of 150mph if ungoverned. The 6.4 is noticeably faster WOT then the 5.7 and of course comes with a mileage penalty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive had a 15 HC A8 and now have an 18 T/A M6

The HC no matter what year is Bananas and would be my choice hands down
If you will be racing at al, get the A8, especially if its a HC. Its faster and far more durable. It never failed to pick the right gear no matter what the situation. Loved that trans

If you wont race and/or dont care about 1/4 mile times the M6 is a lot of fun but a Barton shifter is almost a must. The stocker is fine but once you try a barton you WONT every want to shift without one.

The M6 392 doesnt have the MDS which Ive heard sounds odd when it shuts down cylinders depending on your exhaust. True or not I dont know

IMO the TA intake may be better than the shaker but its probably marginal at best. But SHAKER looks better

Had the HK in the HC, now have Alpine in the TA. I find the Alpine is all I need. The HK (for me) never came close to living up to the price tag or the 900 watts, 18 speaker blah blah.

I thought the Alpine overacheives for the $$$ and if you need more you can add a $450 sub/amp to the Alpine yourself pretty easily which makes it even better but then you are almost in HK territory price wise.

Blind spot warning and all that is a must IMO.

Dynamics pkg with the hellcat brakes etc will stop a carrier, but are $$$ to replace.

I think the alcantera > laguna leather and with the new cars its significantly cheaper because of the Fd up way Dodge structures the packages on the 19. you essentially pay $1700 TWICE to get the Laguna. IMO it aint worth that.

Must Mods. Replace the mid mufflers. Vibrant 1794s on a HC, Dynomax 24250s on a 392. The improvement (at least on my TA and cars with the HC 2.75" exhaust) far exceeds the $140 I spent total on the mod and sounds better than any aftermarket system for $1000+ you can buy IMO.

Barton shifter for the M6 Have heard people like the Hurst too

10.5 or 11" rims on the rear with correct offset with 305 or 315 tires. Put what you have to the ground before you start adding power.

Know that if you tune it or otherwise mess with the ECU, it will throw a hidden code and your powertrain warranty will go out the window.

IMO the package with the auto wipers/headlights is a waste of money unless you like that stuff.

They upgraded 8.4" Uconnect or whatever is worth it but IMO NAV is a waste of $$$ especially with Apple car play etc.

Putting waze or google maps on the nav screen is just flat out better than any factory nav system.

The SRT 3 mode adj suspension is worth it if what you are looking at has it or you are ordering and can get it. I found my HC in street mode was comfy all day long no matter what the roa, In sport mode the car felt better and more responsive on backroads. Could be the tires. but My TA with the non adj suspension is good, but a little too much rebound for daily driving. It can get bouncy on some roads and its not as good in turns. The diff is likely very small but still, I think the adj suspension was more flexible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Previously owned an '18 GT and now own a '19 Scat Pack w/ Shaker. I test drove the 5.7 and there was no comparison to the 6.4 IMO. If you have any doubt, go with the bigger motor so as not to have buyer's remorse.

- Auto vs Stick: Auto, especially if you are worried about traffic. It is faster and makes life easier.
- Is the Shaker intake worth it. People tell me its the fastest R/T by having it.: Those people are wrong, it is purely for looks. I absolutely love it, but I didn't choose it for any increase in HP.
- Scat pack..... worth it? What does it do?: Scat Pack is simply a Trim level designator. It is basically the base model that has the 392 engine. For 2019, you either choose the Scat or Hellcat, there isn't an in between model now.
- Super track pack. What does it do ( what is it ?) There is a button on the dash to do something.: I don't even know if this is an option for Scats, but it changes the suspension and gear ratio I believe.
- Is there a launch mode ( i.e. line locks) possible with a 6 sp. man.?: It is possible, but I'm not sure how it works. I also don't believe that the Scat Pack has that prior to the 2019s.
- Is the big Harman Kardon sound system worth buying compared to the Alpine 9 sp?: Depends how much you value sound. I love the HK system, I've had it on both now. But I'd have settled for the Alpine system if I could've found what I wanted with the options I desired.
- What are the " must have " options?: Driver Convenience, Automatic Trans, Alphine 9 speaker system. If this is a DD for winter, you want either the cold weather group or the Plus Package.
- Mods you'd suggest?: Eh, most wouldn't be worth the money or worth losing the warranty IMO. After warranty I'd consider getting a professional tune.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hi, I've owned a 2010 R/T 5.7L 6 speed, now a 2016 R/T SP 6.4L 6 speed.

- 5.7 vs 6.4: Both great in their own way. I found the 5.7L to be an awesome daily use engine. The 5.7 and 6.4 feel very similar in day to day use, but the 6.4 is just that much faster when you put your foot in it.

- Auto vs Stick: Stick for me. I work at a Dodge dealer, I drive 8 speed automatics all day and get kinda bored of them. I want my own drive home to be something more to look forward to. That said, your requirements and preference might be different. I will say that you definitely won't hate the automatic if you go that route. It's smart and reliable. It's personal preference.

- Is the Shaker intake worth it: In my opinion, no. It looks cool but I don't think it's worth the cost.

- Scat pack..... worth it? What does it do? Gets you the 6.4L engine, standard Brembos, Bilstein shocks, slightly lower springs, other things. Dodge website will say.

- Super track pack. What does it do ( what is it ?) There is a button on the dash to do something: The button gets you into the drive modes and launch control menus.
Super Track pack is also an option on 5.7L R/Ts that get you the same suspension as the Scat Pack.

- Is there a launch mode ( i.e. line locks) possible with a 6 sp. man. ? Launch control is standard on all Scat Pack models, manual or automatic. Line lock can be achieved by tazer (aftermarket)

- Is the big Harman Kardon sound system worth buying compared to the Alpine 9 sp? I'd say no. It takes up space in the trunk, and the Alpine sounds pretty good.

- What are the " must have " options ? Not a lot. They are equipped very well to begin with. Price goes up quickly with add-on options and a lot of them aren't essential. Again, personal preference. Maybe you want heated leather. Just my experience: avoid blind spot monitoring if you can. The sensors are over $1700 Canadian EACH to replace, they are right behind the rear wheels where they'll get all sorts of dirt, salt, corrosion, etc. and they like to fail just after your warranty runs out. It's a shame more customers aren't warned about that before buying.

- Mods you'd suggest ? None needed, it's great as is.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've been researching colours, options and sizes etc. I've found a combo I liked but I want owners advice / experience.
I drove a Go mango 2017 RT Shaker Scat pack with a 6 sp. man. Loved the car its a beast. Not a fan of the new car price bite and I can easily live with one a yr old or a demo to avoid
getting the initial big price.
Interested in your input on a few points. Keep in mind this is not going to be a daily driver as I work on construction sites. I have a Ranger for that now.

- 5.7 vs 6.4, Pretty sure I want the 6.4
- Auto vs Stick ( in the videos the auto wins the race), Scared to get stuck in Toronto downtown stop n go with a 6 speed, lol.
- Is the Shaker intake worth it. People tell me its the fastest R/T by having it.
- Scat pack..... worth it? What does it do?
- Super track pack. What does it do ( what is it ?) There is a button on the dash to do something.
- Is there a launch mode ( i.e. line locks) possible with a 6 sp. man. ?
- Is the big Harman Kardon sound system worth buying compared to the Alpine 9 sp?
- What are the " must have " options ?
- Mods you'd suggest ?

I'd like to learn and be wise before buying because of your advice.
any tips would be great .
Thanks
:smile:
Get the 6.4, you will regret getting anything else.
Auto. It's the quickest way to go. If you are daily driving the car, you will regret getting the stick.
The shaker is nice, but not worth it, IMHO.
STP is fun, lots of gadgets but not all that important.
Don't know if line lock comes on a manual.
The HK is NOT WORTH IT, IMHO. Only real disappointment on the car. Listen to it and the Alpine, and decide. I wish I had passed on it and taken the car without it.
IMHO, again, the must haves are the Leather with heated seats and wheel, remote start, and the 6.4 and A8. Everything else is just how much you want to pay to have a sun roof (An option that I wouldn't take if it was FREE, just something to leak/get stuck) or the adaptive cruise, etc.
Must mods are a catch can, water holding floormats if you drive the car in winter/rain.

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just go drive a 6.4L! There will be no need to drive a 5.7 afterwards!!

Get a 2018 RT Scat Pack 6.4, dynamics package is great due to the better look of the wheels and the nicer, wider tire option.

Dealers are trying to get rid of the 2018s now for the 2019s that are coming in. Pretty good discounts. Where are you located?

I would imagine someone selling a slightly used one with low miles would be trying to get all of their money back so you probably could get a new 18 for less. This is what I found when looking. Why would I pay the same for a used car when I could get a new one for the same price, or less in some instances. Plus, you don't know if the used ones were beat on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just go drive a 6.4L! There will be no need to drive a 5.7 afterwards!!
domano 68,

I’m 69 and retired. For me, the availability of a lifetime extended waranty from Mopar makes the 5.7 very attractive. The lifetime warranty is not available on the 6.4.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need
:>)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I bought used, but found a car that was built exactly as I would have ordered it. I have no interest in more power than the 345 hemi delivers and the 6sp is a must for me. The Super Track Pack is also a must. As for the stereo, I love the HK, but I'm not sure if it's all that important or worth the money. I don't listen to my music loud as the sound I want to hear comes from under the hood and out the exhaust. :)

You really need to drive a few versions and figure out what you really want. I've never been beat on the street with my 345 simply because I refuse to be goaded into a race. Every time I get behind the wheel a calming feeling comes over me as I meld with the best car I've had since my first one. That was a '55 Chevy that I spent the year before being old enough to drive building and is the only car I wish I could replace.

What ever you get, just drive it and enjoy it. Ignore what most of us say, we're all prejudiced toward what we're driving...

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Well, you know when you are about done and the Dealer asks, "What can I do to get you to buy the car right now"? People usually say, "Throw in some mud flaps" or some other extra that that the dealership gets for next to nothing (stripes, etc), I am going to pull out the Mopar Performance catalog and try to get a set of headers or a race cam installed. Worth a shot I suppose. Had I known of the Scat Pack Packages at the time of purchase, maybe tried to get Stage I thrown in, or at least the strut tower braces.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,092 Posts
domano 68,

I’m 69 and retired. For me, the availability of a lifetime extended waranty from Mopar makes the 5.7 very attractive. The lifetime warranty is not available on the 6.4.

You get what you need
Actually you can if your willing to put in the work for it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
domano 68,

You get what you need
Actually you can if your willing to put in the work for it...
Gila Hemi,

What I “want” is a 6.4 Challenger with a lifetime extended warranty. That’s currently not available. What I “need” is a V8 Challenger that is equal to or better than the ‘70 Roadrunner (383/A3/3.9 suregip) of my youth at putting a smile on my face while doing a few grand tours around the USA visiting family and friends. A 5.7/A8/3.09 Challenger meets that “need.” For me, knowing that the 5.7 can be covered for my remaining driving lifetime against unexpected repair costs makes up for losing a few tenths when I merge onto an Interstate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts