Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my dream car. 2019 SPWB model demo car with 5700 mi on it when i bought it in Dec.
In Feb car wont start in Charlotte at 8k mi. Dodge will tow car to nearest dealer. I am on my own to get my self and family home and then back to Charlotte to pick up car when it gets fixed. We were able to push start to get home with tow driver. Dodge left me and daughter to our own to get home. Teeth had broken off of flywheel ring gear. Dodge replaced flywheel.
June, car shuts off while driving down interstate leaves me and family on side of road. 10k mi. Dodge does nothing to get us off highway or home. Car towed to orangeburg dealer and fixed. It was a bad coil and intake runner valve.
I picked car up this evening. 1/8 mile timer, 1/4 mi timer, 0-60 timer, 0-100 timer have all been activated and avg mileage went from 19.5 to 13.5. These timers were all unused prior. I had reset them.

This is my dream car but that is 3 strikes. What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
I'd keep it as long as it's under warranty but not a second longer. Sounds like a lemon.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,275 Posts
Finally got my dream car. 2019 SPWB model demo car with 5700 mi on it when i bought it in Dec.
In Feb car wont start in Charlotte at 8k mi. Dodge will tow car to nearest dealer. I am on my own to get my self and family home and then back to Charlotte to pick up car when it gets fixed. We were able to push start to get home with tow driver. Dodge left me and daughter to our own to get home. Teeth had broken off of flywheel ring gear. Dodge replaced flywheel.
June, car shuts off while driving down interstate leaves me and family on side of road. 10k mi. Dodge does nothing to get us off highway or home. Car towed to orangeburg dealer and fixed. It was a bad coil and intake runner valve.
I picked car up this evening. 1/8 mile timer, 1/4 mi timer, 0-60 timer, 0-100 timer have all been activated and avg mileage went from 19.5 to 13.5. These timers were all unused prior. I had reset them.

Did you purchase a Chrysler Extended Warranty that covers towing, rental car, etc for a breakdown?

I don't believe that the standard warranty covers these items if your car has a failure.

Many selling dealers offer a rental car to their customer if the car is at their shop.

A breakdown on the road, probably not.

If this is important to you, you probably should buy one.

Where a car breaks down is always unfortunate, and getting the "drama" of who was with you and where it happened only stirs up your own nerves up.

Sounds to me like an extended warranty will help calm your nerves, but a breakdown is a breakdown.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,443 Posts

Teeth breaking off of flywheel ring gear is quite rare. These are only driven by the starter motor pinion gear and are not that highly stressed. I'd have to attribute the failure to a bad flywheel casting.

For the 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and 0-60mph timer, and 0-100mph timer did these have reasonable values? I'm thinking maybe if the battery was disconnected to work on the car these ended up with garbage values.

The fuel mileage likewise could have been reset.

I will add I had a 2006 GTO. Was a nice car. Chevy dealer tech took the car out for a test ride on his lunch hour when I had it in for a 6-speed transmission fluid service. Went to pick up the car and could smell the hot clutch. Fuel level way down. Trip/data logger showed a couple of miles "trip". The speed, acceleration, and RPMs graph lines were crazy. Tech did a number of burnouts and reached speeds to over 90mph and all on city streets.

Long story short dealer was of no help. Lied like crazy. Finally I managed to get the cost of the transmission fluid service refunded.

At another dealer, the Pontiac dealer where I bought the car, had it in for some warranty work. Driver side door handle was fading. Trip/data logger showed the car had been probably used to do donuts in the back lot of the dealer.

This time I went straight to the dealer manager about this. He was interested and I was putting the data together but the dealership closed down. This was in early 2009 and GM was losing/closing brands: Pontiac; and dealerships. The Chevy dealership I mentioned above went out of business. It was a horrible dealership.

Shortly after the Pontiac dealer closed down I decided to get rid of the car. Had not quite 50K miles on it and it still looked brand new and ran good and I would have preferred to keep it. But not with all the abuse it was receiving.

Traded it in on a new 2008 Cayman S.

Since I traded in the GTO I have bought $245K worth of cars. Not one dime went to GM.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
@Punisher29073

Since you bought the car used, you won’t have any buy back or lemon law rights.

With that being said......I recall a RAM HD pickup owner having repeated issues and he did have success with a buy back from RAM on his used truck purchase. There’s a chance you might be able to do likewise. If you want extra information, PM me and I’ll try to find you the link.

Again....you technically aren’t eligible for buy back or lemon law, but RAM stepped up for that one guy.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
I won't keep a car that keeps stranding me, I'd trade that one off, but that's me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is titled and warranted as new. My 0 mile was 5700.

The warranty does cover towing to the closest dealer to breakdown.

Its challenging to rent a car on the interstate in the middle of nowhere.

I

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
June, car shuts off while driving down interstate leaves me and family on side of road. 10k mi.

Need more info, since you don't mention if any changes to the car have been made from the 5700 miles to the 10,000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts