Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the discusion of late about the '11 tuning situation, what would you pay for a factory tune?

If Chrysler offered various "tunes" for different engine/mod combo's, what would be a fair price?

Would you prefer a "canned" tune that you installed, or a factory flash? Or, would you prefer a "hand held tuner" that had the base tune with adjustments.

Just putting this out there to see what folks would be willing to pay, or see what everyone thinks a fair cost would be for something like this.

If the new "SRT Brand" is possibly thinking of marketing something like this for the "enthusiasts", I'm sure that they are also thinking "market pricing" too??

Interested to hear everyone's perspective on this, and what you think would be a good price point.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
apparently 30+ grand.. lol.. I see what you are saying but dont know where this post will take you..

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it should be free with the complete signing away of your warranty. At least your first one. I could understand them charging for more tunes after that if you should desire them.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
Since I have a 2010 that is tunable it's going to cost them a future sale if they don't allow tuning, I'll just keep what I have and not buy another.

However if they came out with a hand held tuner that worked like the current Diablo for a similar price, I would entertain purchasing a 2011 or newer version 392.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
apparently 30+ grand.. lol.. I see what you are saying but dont know where this post will take you..
I think that I'm seeing the "direction" rather quickly from some. With the craziness of the "Can't tune an '11" thread, I thought that folks may have some good input on this.

I don't know what the general or average cost of a custom tune is, but thought that I would throw this thread out for some input "if" Chrysler was to offer this type of aftermarket option.

I guess folks like to "pee and moan" about not being able to tune an '11, but don't want to say what format they would like to see a tune offered, or a pricepoint that they would pay for this.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger SRT8
524 Posts
The Mopar Performance computer in my 93 Dakota worked well with headers, catback, bigger TB, and gave noticeable increase in power. The staged kits for the SRT-4 worked very well. So SRT could give us something for those kinds of upgrades. I would be willing to pay about the same as other aftermarket tuners, but not way more, provided it gave proven, noticable gains, and would allow headers and big TB to be used without leaning out or a way to adjust for it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
since it could shorten the life of the engine why would they ever offer such a thing??

$300 is what id give to have some performance options in the tune...the engine has the best tune it can have and still have a long life....they wouldnt leave 20 more HP if it didnt do something negative...it would have been stupid and they arent that stupid

i feel dodge would charge $1,000....id pay $300

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would not pay a dime for a factory tune. The reason I say this is because there would be no way of knowing what you are getting and that it would remain there. Say if you brought your car in for warranty work, who's to say they don't plug in a different tune when you get it back? I had my first oil change done at the dealer for my SRT. I asked them before I even gave them the key if they had the right type of oil. When I got the car back the paper work stated that Havoline conventional oil had been used. They refused to fix it. The short version of this post is this: Unless it's a warranty item-that I can't fix myself- I will refuse to let the dealer touch it period!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I would pay ZERO for a factory canned tune. Canned tunes do not always work. One car might like it while another identical type car will hate it. My custom CMR tune with my Charger I had made over 400rwhp and over 400rwtq. While another SRT8 Charger with the same mods only made 370rwhp and 360rwtq with MY TUNE. It just depends on the car. If im going to pay for a tune its gonna be a custom tune for my car. And as of now, I dont see any factory dyno tuning in any dealership. LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
It would be like the new boss mustang with the "red" key that activates another version of programming. IDK if it voids any warranties or has negative consequences for the longevity of the engine but it does free up some HP. That said-Id pay what a custom tuner would charge if the factory had the ability/right person to modify that tune for additional mods. In fact it should be cheaper because the person/tuner will have the correct software/hardware and the training so the labor portion of it should be cheaper then someone going off a blank slate.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
I guess folks like to "pee and moan" about not being able to tune an '11, but don't want to say what format they would like to see a tune offered, or a pricepoint that they would pay for this.
Thought I answered this but to make it a little more clear:

I want a hand held tuner just like Diablo currently makes ( or one that is better with more options) for a similar price ( about $300 to $400 price range). Custom tunes with said device would run as they do now, from $100 to $300.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For me, $0. There's obviously some kind of "tune" there already, since the car starts, runs (very well) and does everything I want it to.

I guess that classifies me as a non-enthusiast, but so be it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Something in the $300-400 price range, handheld, OBDII plug-in, and with full control over everything the pcm does (maybe with some warnings about adjusting certain features). I'd want idle control, A/F control, Timing advance, Knock sensors, gear sensors, crankshaft sensors, and preferably TCM control too so I could adjust shift schedules and transmission behavior.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Something in the $300-400 price range, handheld, OBDII plug-in, and with full control over everything the pcm does (maybe with some warnings about adjusting certain features). I'd want idle control, A/F control, Timing advance, Knock sensors, gear sensors, crankshaft sensors, and preferably TCM control too so I could adjust shift schedules and transmission behavior.
^^^I agree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.