Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Has your Challenger been called a Charger" thread has me waxing philosophically about our current model, submodel names and potential future model names.

What I don't like.

1. Well, there's whole Challenger/Charger thing. Also, "Challenger" name is nearing 10-years on this model. Getting a little long in tooth. And what are we "Challenging" anyway? Sounds a little confrontational. Or like we're "Someone or something that Challenges"....but do we ever conquer?At least everyone knows what a "Mustang" is, and WTF is a Camaro...anyway? Different problem for a different car.

2. Scat-Pack. While steeped in MOPAR lore, the name itself conjures up several alternate connotations. Depending on what circles you run in, Scat is either a form of Jazz singing, a pile of animal excrement, or a slang name for heroin. Let's "dump" the Scat. And let's certainly not "pack" it.

3. T/A Again, legendary MOPAR history here, but to non MOPAR folks, it too much like T&A. People actually giggle when they see T&A on a car.

4. R/T Just some more letters that regualar folks don't get.

5. SXT Looks like "Sexty", and that sounds like "sexting", and that's just wrong, especially while driving.

6. SRT Looks like "Sort". What are we sorting out? The identity of our pretentious letters?

7. GT. Is it "Goat" or "Grand-Touring". Nothing says "Really cool AWD Muscle car " like "Grand Touring"........not. Grand is something your grandma would say when you did something she liked. "Well isn't that grand". Not on the muscle-car, please.

Back in the day, MOPAR had cool names for it's cars. Charger, Roadrunner, Barracuda, Superbee, Dart, Duster, Demon, Fury, Daytona, Superbird. (And some not so cool one, like Belvedere, Coronet, Satellite, Imperial, Cordoba and.....Challenger). Also, they had cool names for the motors besides HEMI, there was Commando, Super-Commando and Magnum, not obscure abbreviations for sub-models like we do now (If we forget about the GTX). No reason we can't think like that again.

My thoughts. Asuming they keep with the retro styling........

1. The new car should be the Dodge Barracuda (for those with 4 and/or 6 cylinders) and Dodge Cuda for those with HEMIs. There's your MOPAR history link.

2. Base 4-banger or V6 would be Barracuda, and if they have both, you have a Barracuda and a Barracuda V6, and if either of those have a Turbo, just add "Turbo".....Barracuda Turbo. Barracuda V6 Turbo. They may not offer both a 4 and 6, but you get the idea. Could still have "Redline" packages or "AWD" packages without any other designations. I guess you could stick and AWD badge on, but really, why? Does anybody besides the driver care where the power's going?

3. Cudas would be just be identified by the Liters or Cu.In (I prefer Cu. In.). Cuda 345, Cuda 392, Cuda 426....Whatever. Or if you wanna get different, call them the Cuda I, Cuda II, and the Cuda III. And the Hellcat Cuda would be just that, the "Hellcat Cuda", or maybe get the Hellcat name off of the 300C (I mean Charger) and the only Hellcat will be this one.

4. Option packages could still be "Plus", "Classic", "Track", "Road", "Luxury" "Shaker"....whatever you want, but not part of the model name, like the current R/T, T/A, SRT, and Scat-Pack. Same with the "E-Torque" that some folks are lusting over. Make it a package, but not a model designation.

R/T guys, get a Cuda I or add a Plus, or Classic package, T/A guys, you get a Cuda I or II, with the Track package. Scat-packers, you get a Cuda II or Cuda III with Shaker package. SRT guys, you get a Cuda II or Cuda II with a Road or Luxury package. All the entry level folks get the Barracuda or Barracuda V6, and the tuner crowd adds the Turbo.

Simple, Historical name, no pretentious abbreviations (except for the Roman numerals....throw a bone to the Italian owners), no Scat, no T&A and we're not "Challenging" anyone.

Now if they opt for a down-sized euro-sized sport car, they call it the Gulia, Gallardo, or Linguini Alfredo for all I care. I'll just buy a RWD RAM Sport with the biggest HEMI I can get in it and go truckin' instead.

Now I'm gonna go over to a Charger forum, explain to them that their car is a slander on the Charger name an they're really just driving a Chrysler 300, and their new car 4-door sedan based on whatever platform we get, should be called the "Monaco".

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know. Seems like "Challenger" was good enough to use on a Space Shuttle. If you're not "Challenging" what are you doing?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Heheh, wow, makes me wonder how valuable my '70 Dodge 'Cuda really is as well as my '63 Cadillac Corvette and '67 Buick Camaro. Better up the insurance. :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Why do regular folks need to "get" our cars? Most Americans couldn't care less about cars other than to get their fat ass back and forth to McDonald's, Walmart, the doctor, and government services.

The American people have made it loud and clear that they would rather be chomping on a cheeseburger, putting on make up, texting, talking on the phone, taking selfies, updating their social media and doing everything else other than drive while they're operating a vehicle. Who cares if they think our badges are sexually suggestive or can't make sense of them? I don't understand why men watch other men throw a ball around and slap each other on the ass, or why women need enough clothes and shoes in their closet to clothe an entire army, or know who the hell Bruno Mars is, but it doesn't concern me and I don't give a shit.

To stay on topic I think members on here need to have usernames that make sense. What is a dawg? Is that saying you spell bad or what the hell? Explain it to us regular folks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Someone has entirely too much time on his hands. :lol: Your'e way overthinking it imo.....

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I do agree on the Scat Pack though.

I swear to god if I hear another person make a shit joke about my car I am going to ignore them and continue going about my day like I usually do.

"R/T 392" works just fine.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
FCA owns all the old names and trademarks and will use whatever they think will press the right buttons with the public and sell, that's all they are worried about and I'm sure Cuda and/or Barracuda will return at some point.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Camaro is Spanish for "little friend" or French for "Companion" a little google search.....

T/A is Trans Am for the Trans Am series racing which is why they came with small blocks and not nose heavy big blocks/hemis

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dodge Coronet (full size) in the late 50's made a model of Coronet only in silver and named it the Coronet Silver Challenger. Then the Coronet was gone until 1965 and redone as a mid sized car with the "B" body or chassis as were the Belvedere, Charger, Satellite, and Road Runner.

The Super Bee (as in B body) came from the 68 Coronet and used 68-71 for Chargers and Road Runners as well then was gone until used again for 2006 Chargers. The 1970 Coronet Split Grill design was inspired by Bee Wings.

The Satellite was first used as a trim package for the Belvedere in 65, Then the Belvedere died and it was Satellite/Road Runner. The Fury started out as a mid size and turned into land yacht.

Some of these late 60's early 70's models did not sell well in their day, but as a teenager in the late 70's became easy to come by and much more desirable compared to any new cars of the late 70's. One Exception I guess was the 76 Trans Am. Other than that, late 70's cars sucked.

Don't forget the Dart, and Dart Swinger.

The Challenger name then came back as a direct competitor to "Challenge" the Camaro and Mustang. Don't forget the Coyote Duster and variant of it the original Demon. They had to pay to use the Coyote and Roadrunner names and emblems and used the cartoon characters in commercials as well.

Dodge/Plymouth did a lot of things that saved money. I had a 71 Plymouth Satellite and My sister had a 71 Dodge Charger. Many of the parts inter-changable. Door latches, window cranks etc were all the same, engine options same, chassis same with different body styles and more choices. Then the Feds changed emission requirements and gas prices were going up and after 1974, all these cars were history..........yea they made the Volare/Roadrunner and Aspen R/T in the late 70's but they were a joke. Everything after the 65-74 glory years was a sad attempt to keep the names going and an injustice to what these cars once were.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
At least those names were real words...what the hell is a Yaris?

A Guy

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Everything after the 65-74 glory years was a sad attempt to keep the names going and an injustice to what these cars once were.
Everything after '71 was a sad attempt.. No more Hemis...

Also you forgot Plymouth GTX, "The Banker's hot rod" that later became a graphics package on the Road Runner.

You also forgot the 1978 Dodge "Kit Car".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts