Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I think I've just about reached the end of my desired mods. I'm considering doing one or more of the following, but have doubts or questions about them. I know some of these have been covered elsewhere, but I wanted to get all of my thoughts together as well as everyone's opinions. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other mods to consider, please feel free to suggest. Everything I've done is listed below my questions.

1) Gear ratio swap to 3.06 or 3.67. There is some great information on the message board about these, but opinions seem to be mixed on what ratio is best. I'm not worried about gas mileage, just looking to improve acceleration for normal (semi-aggressive) daily driving. I don't drag race and have no plans to. If I did either of these, would it affect the accuracy of the speedometer? Would I have to go to the dealer to have them change something in the computer? If it matters, I'm running the stock Rallye 18" tires.

2) Bigger Throttle Body. Seems expensive for what I gather is a 5-10 HP increase. If I do this, will I notice any acceleration improvement or any other benefits?

3) Interior mods. No idea what to do, I just know that I've done very few interior mods. I suppose I could change out the shift handle, but I actually kind of like the stock one. I did the pedal kit, but nothing else. I've seen some nice pictures on the forum of some of the dash dress up kits but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

4) Side light black out kits. Not sure if these are "street legal" or not, and also not sure how it'd look on a black car.

My current mods: Magnaflow exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, Mopar wheel locks, custom nose badge, custom grill badge, Mopar CAI, Billet Technologies door sills, cigarette lighter delete and underhood dress up kit, Mopar hood struts, Drake Muscle Cars strut covers, tinted windows, painted calipers, ceramic brake pads, Mopar pedal kit, custom made fiberglass subwoofer enclosure including LED lit Challenger panel...I think that's it.

Thanks in advance for all advice and responses!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I don't see the value in go fast mods on a V6 but that's just my personal opinion
I prefer appearance mods but I'm not into gimmicky looking flash.
I dunno...maybe new wheels? sequential signals? HALO's? functional hood scoops?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I didn't see a Predator tune in the list of mods - if you're looking for a little more "kick", that would probably do it for you - I think DS makes tunes for the SE?

I'd skip the TB - no bang for the buck on a V6 (unless you supercharge).

Interior - check out some of the really nice custom floor mats offered by Lloyd's (RPI carries them - got a set myself; interior & trunk - VERY nice). You can choose the embroidery and edge colors. Really enhances the interior IMO.

Someone more knowledgeable than I on the gear ratio swap pros/cons will need to offer advice on that one.

I noticed you've done some engine bay dress up - I'm in the process of finishing mine up now. Got all the typical BT stuff, just installed a 3gcustomz ABS cover (painted it BB Pearl Coat myself) - that puppy does wonders for getting a really "clean" look under the hood. I'm doing a Moroso aluminum coolant tank next (kind of pricey, but in addition to aluminum dissapating heat more efficiently than plastic, I think it will look good with my engine bay color scheme). My Catch Can came with stainless braided hoses, so I got a matching air breather one to connect to the CAI. The black plastic stock loom on all the other wires and tubing looked a little awkward next to the stainless, so I got some chrome wire loom and replaced all the stock black stuff. I liked the effect immensely. Nice thing is you can get the loom in all kinds of colors and a few different metallic finishes. Inexpensive and easy to do mod. My final engine "bling" project is the 3gcustomz half covers for the 6.1. Going to paint and dress those up myself too. Should be starting that in a couple of weeks or so - been planning it for months. I noticed on the 3gcustomz website they make an engine cover for the SE that can be customized (painted, graphics, etc). Anyway, depending on how into your engine bay you are, some options still there. There are some pics on the forum of some nicely customized SE engine bays.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know most here think glueing things to there car is a modification but it's really just decorating. An actual modification enhances the way the car works. Sometimes it also improves the way it looks, like better handling tires and wheels that will accept those tires.

IMO, Since you've already done done an exhaust, the 2 biggest "feel it in the seat of your pants" items, that are actually modifications, would be a programer and gears. The programer will allow you to also reset the gear ratio in the computer.

Some like bling and the shine of chrome. I'm not faulting, just saying.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - I've official reached the point that I've done so many mods that I don't remember them all. I also have the sequential taillights and functional hood scoops.

I didn't think about the Halos, that maybe next on the list...

I've read a lot of posts about the tuner, most seem to think that's a waste for the V6. Thoughts? Anybody use it, and if so how were the results?

Along the same lines, I thought that any change of the gear required the dealer to make computer changes - maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that there were some posts that something like the Predator couldn't do it?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
To address anything concerning power, before you go with the Throttle body or any other "power" mod, get the Predator, It's expensive, with most costs over $300 (I'm sure you can find it for less), BUT! It's pretty reputable for giving all of the challengers a seat-of-the-pants increase. I would refute the claims you have read.... I suppose it depends on which forum and what the mood of the poseter was a tthe time, LOL! It's also THE base of all mods, especially of you are going to change rear gear ratios, Remember, the 09's are limited in terms of Predator capability compared to the 10's. The 5-spd auto in the 10's are a big advantage.

I've heard the same debates on the 3.64's being too much for the SE. *shrugs*. My rational thinking says to go with the 3.06's, my irrational "I want to take off faster" self says go with the 3.64's. Since you don't drag race, It is possible the 3.64's will be best for daily driving increase in take-off oomph. Tough decision.

On at least the 2010 the Predator will take care of gear and wheel diameter changes. Hence it's kind of considered a must if you start wanting to accelerate faster. Remember, ANY power mod, by most, is considered a waste on the V6, so you might want to rethink the throttle body of you consider that avenue of thinking.

At the same time, there are people on this site that have chopped a full second off the "base" 0-60, and over a second off it's "official" quarter mile times. Define "a waste", I say.

Interior goodies..... I'm not that fond of the silver center console and dash trim, I'd personally look at the black pieces you can get, though they are not cheep at around $130 a piece. Shifter knob, well you have a few options, I'm in the same boat, kinda like the the conservative stock one.

Rear gear ratio swaps. I'd love to do this myself. Depending on the wheel/tire combo you go with, I think would dictate the ratio you go with. Since you plan on staying the stock wheels,

·
Registered
323 Posts
if you want a bit more power go for it. some people say modding a v6 is a waste. they say that modding a 4 cylinder is a waiste and i have friends who's little 4 cylinders run 10 second quarters. so do what makes you happy and don't worry to much about what other people say.

if you have added a nice sub enclosure, have you upgraded the mids and highs and amped them as well. thats where 90% of the music is coming from and the quality is definatly lacking in stock form.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could always go with a custom shift knob. I see you have some billet door sills, so a billet shift knob would match those (there are a couple different styles and you could have whatever you want etched on it). Or you could get the Mopar T-bar, which would match your Mopar pedal kit. Food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.