Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2012 SXT Plus and I'll hopefully be soon swapping in a 2011 SRT8 engine that's paired with the Tremec manual trans, only the engine and trans. So I need some help on what I need to grab in terms of differential, axles, or anything else that has to do with the drivetrain. I've already found an SRT8 manual driveshaft so I'm good there.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
there's a lot of components just for the engine - harnesses, ECM and trying to get communication between TIPM - ECM - WIN modules (everything is driven by VIN encoding in the modules).

then you'll need the hydraulic system for the clutch as well as the clutch pedal assembly as well. The M6 uses a different rear cross member vs what the A5 had as well.

The P/S on a '12 SXT was electro - hydraulic...the 392 setup used a conventional P/S pump - not sure if a different steering rack was utilized as well.

then you still have the soft spring rates, front and rear sway bars (and smaller brakes) of the SXT, vs. the heavier 392 engine and the higher power it puts out.

far more complex that doing an engine swap in an 80s / 90s car. Some have tried it and it takes people extremely knowledgeable about how all these systems work to have a running vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
I'm sure Chllngrswpr can ad some advice

A Guy

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks @A Guy. Ya been busy lately and havent had time to visit here. @firebreak_sxt it takes some $hit to make the swap. Are you going to do the work yourself? Are you comfortable doing swaps? Ready for the car to be down while doing it?
Youd need mounts, crossmember, diff, axles, pedal assembly, wiring harness for engine, exhaust manifolds, down pipes. Biggest issue is going to be steering. Easy enough to convert it from electric to a pump, but then youve got lights on the dash constantly. Abs lights also from the electric steering. To get the lights out youd need a dash harness that came from v8. Your best bet and cheapest/easiest is to buy a donor car. This gives you all the parts necessary. Lots of little things that will bite you in the a$$ and keep the car down. Like the fuel line. Youd need to upgrade the fuel pump also. V6 isnt going to carry the volume needed to keep the v8 happy. If your paying labor then its going to cost a small fortune. Might not be worth it. I almost forgot, when you change the ecu out it takes programing to swap out the vin # written into the ecu. Dodge dealer probably wouldnt do it because its swapped engine and they dont want the responsibility when lights are on in the dash. They want no issues that could come back and bite them in the long run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's a lot of components just for the engine - harnesses, ECM and trying to get communication between TIPM - ECM - WIN modules (everything is driven by VIN encoding in the modules).

then you'll need the hydraulic system for the clutch as well as the clutch pedal assembly as well. The M6 uses a different rear cross member vs what the A5 had as well.

The P/S on a '12 SXT was electro - hydraulic...the 392 setup used a conventional P/S pump - not sure if a different steering rack was utilized as well.

then you still have the soft spring rates, front and rear sway bars (and smaller brakes) of the SXT, vs. the heavier 392 engine and the higher power it puts out.

far more complex that doing an engine swap in an 80s / 90s car. Some have tried it and it takes people extremely knowledgeable about how all these systems work to have a running vehicle.
I probably should've specified its a turn-key crate, so it has everything to run the engine in terms of harnesses and modules.

It comes with the clutch pedal but I don't know about the hydraulic system.

I've read that the ratio between the SRT8 steering rack and SXT was different, I've already searched around for one to swap in. Will the SXT electro-hydraulic setup throw off the SRT8 computer?

I currently have Eibach Pro springs and shocks, so I think that'd handle the extra power. Also with my car being the SS/T Model, it came with the beefier R/T brakes, I know that's not really a considerable change. I'm already looking at getting BMR sway-bars so that'll fix that issue.

I've realized that it won't be easy, but I know a neighbor who can help with these things.

Thanks for help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked into simply adding a RIPP supercharger to your V6?
I originally did, but it honestly just wouldn't have the same effect for me than doing something like this. Probably not the best mentality but hey, they say "send it" for a reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks @A Guy. Ya been busy lately and havent had time to visit here. @firebreak_sxt it takes some $hit to make the swap. Are you going to do the work yourself? Are you comfortable doing swaps? Ready for the car to be down while doing it?
Youd need mounts, crossmember, diff, axles, pedal assembly, wiring harness for engine, exhaust manifolds, down pipes. Biggest issue is going to be steering. Easy enough to convert it from electric to a pump, but then youve got lights on the dash constantly. Abs lights also from the electric steering. To get the lights out youd need a dash harness that came from v8. Your best bet and cheapest/easiest is to buy a donor car. This gives you all the parts necessary. Lots of little things that will bite you in the a$$ and keep the car down. Like the fuel line. Youd need to upgrade the fuel pump also. V6 isnt going to carry the volume needed to keep the v8 happy. If your paying labor then its going to cost a small fortune. Might not be worth it. I almost forgot, when you change the ecu out it takes programing to swap out the vin # written into the ecu. Dodge dealer probably wouldnt do it because its swapped engine and they dont want the responsibility when lights are on in the dash. They want no issues that could come back and bite them in the long run.
I have a local neighbor who's a car geek, he knows his way around these things. I have other options for transportation while it's down, unfortunately, it'd be a Hyundai Sonata :/
Based on what seems missing from the Cleveland Power & Performance Crate, I'm gonna need mounts, cross-member, diff, and axles based on the first list. The turn-key crate does come with its dash, so I'd imagine the dash harness would come with it. The crate does come with the full fuel system, so that's a bonus. I thought I read somewhere I could get someone else other than dodge to fix the VIN, I don't remember what it was however.

I can talk to Cleveland Power & Performance before I grab it to get their input in it, they seem to do this type of stuff a lot.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is another option however that I could get a complete 5.7L swap-kit from VRV Racing, which includes quite literally everything from an R/T. It'd be easier but I don't know how satisfied I would be with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you have the right scanner you can swap the vin#'s for the ecu. Ive done them multiple times. Just takes the right scanner to do it. Good shop should be able to swap the vin. If your having a reputable shop do the swap then shouldnt be any issues. The full swap all depends on you and your wallet. You need to sit down and do a cost assessment and see if its actually feesable or if your going to be way over and a different car might be cheaper with v8 already. Here on the site no one knows your finances and if your current car is paid for or your making payments. It might be cheaper to sell the current ride and buy a v8 car already. Or buy something cheap that needs lots of work. Thats what i did. Im at about 8k for my car at this point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To any future participants - this thread's irrelevant for what I'm doing now, so I don't need any more information here. Unless you want to spread it among yourselves!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts