Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the release of the Hellcat and various other challenger models (11 I believe), and the introduction of a 392 RT. What's the 6.1 worth. I know the SRT 6.1 will probably have suspension/ brakes upgraded but what else? Everything else seems so aesthetic . at which point an enthusiast looking for raw power will choose the RT 392 and do minor mods to make it ride like previous 6.1.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Keep in mind, the 392 R/Ts will probably have pretty high price tags on them...I'd plan on a ~40k R/T classic(5.7) price range.

·
Registered
212 Posts
With the release of the Hellcat and various other challenger models (11 I believe), and the introduction of a 392 RT. What's the 6.1 worth. I know the SRT 6.1 will probably have suspension/ brakes upgraded but what else? Everything else seems so aesthetic . at which point an enthusiast looking for raw power will choose the RT 392 and do minor mods to make it ride like previous 6.1.
if you were buying used, why not look for a 11-14 SRT?
best of both worlds, SRT handling and 6.4 performance

Keep in mind, the 392 R/Ts will probably have pretty high price tags on them...I'd plan on a ~40k R/T classic(5.7) price range.
Still thinking you will be able to get a "Base" R/T 392 (without the Scat Pack Appearance group/leather group, exc.) for 31-33K once the rebates kick in (remember these are likely to have factory incentives/rebates unlike the SRT cars) and the demand wanes from the intro period...I mean there are dealers out there willing to do 1% under invoice (plus all fact incentives) on high demand cars.

Or even better if this is a transition into the 6.4 being THE R/T motor in another year or two after phasing out the 5.7

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would go as far as to say that any unknowing Challenger shopper will buy an RT 392 if they are even remotely considering an SRT 6.1. The RT 392 already comes with the suspension of the 2011 SRT and the Brembos of all previous year SRT's. Plus, the interior is far superior on the RT 392 and it can be had with an 8-speed automatic.

I would say that just about the only people that will shop for a 6.1 over a new 392 are those that know the 6.1 is more easily modded and is capable of withstanding more boost than the 392 without being significantly upgraded. Or those that find a ridiculously good deal on a 6.1 that they just couldn't find on a new 392.

It's still a Challenger and it's still an SRT, so it will sell for more than just about any 2009-2011/12 RT 5.7 pending miles and condition.

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,336 Posts
if you were buying used, why not look for a 11-14 SRT?
best of both worlds, SRT handling and 6.4 performance

Still thinking you will be able to get a "Base" R/T 392 (without the Scat Pack Appearance group/leather group, exc.) for 31-33K once the rebates kick in (remember these are likely to have factory incentives/rebates unlike the SRT cars) and the demand wanes from the intro period...I mean there are dealers out there willing to do 1% under invoice (plus all fact incentives) on high demand cars.

Or even better if this is a transition into the 6.4 being THE R/T motor in another year or two after phasing out the 5.7

I hope that you are correct on pricing, but don't hold your breath. IMO, I don't see it, and I'm thinking the lowest you'll see a 392 R/T is $41k.

Rebates................can't count on what Chrysler will do with these. May or may not be in time for the color that you really want.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 6.1 can handle a super charger stage 2 with 6# boost with no internal up grades . A buddy of mine did his for 10K.
That is looking good with the price the Hell Cat will have. Lots of choices out there...to consider :confused:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I hope that you are correct on pricing, but don't hold your breath. IMO, I don't see it, and I'm thinking the lowest you'll see a 392 R/T is $41k.

Rebates................can't count on what Chrysler will do with these. May or may not be in time for the color that you really want.
I agree, a run of the mill RT runs $32-35K, why on earth would they give away 392's for that amount? And as far as rebates, they are to move cars that arn't selling as quick as they want them to. The 392RT's are going to be hot sellers; I just don't see any rebates for them, just as there were no rebates for last years SRT's. I agree low to mid 40's, w/o many options, upper 40's to low 50's optioned out, is what the SP RT's are gonna go for. JohnnyB01, you've posted before about how they "could"sell at that price ($30's). Sure they could, but they are in the business to make money, not to make you happy. Most will buy the 392 SP RT at $40k at will be happy for what they paid and got. You're living in a pipe dream to think those cars won't command a premium. Better start saving your pennies if you want one.

In regards to the 6.1, I agree it will go for more resale than a regular RT, but not much. Dodge pretty much screwed the pooch on the 6.1, w/ the 392. Heck, when they were brand new, the argument was: "why buy a SRT when an RT has almost as much power for $5-8K less?" And, yes, I am aware the SRT package is more than the engine alone.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I am talking out the door price, not MSRP just to be clear...right now (end of the model year, so prices have dipped and there are pretty good rebates) you should be able to get a base R/T (MSRP 31.5K) for 25-26K...thinking the MSRP will be around $35k for a base 392

ehh...I'm lucky as that there isnt a color that I have to have, there are several I like

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree, a run of the mill RT runs $32-35K, why on earth would they give away 392's for that amount? And as far as rebates, they are to move cars that arn't selling as quick as they want them to. The 392RT's are going to be hot sellers; I just don't see any rebates for them, just as there were no rebates for last years SRT's. I agree low to mid 40's, w/o many options, upper 40's to low 50's optioned out, is what the SP RT's are gonna go for. JohnnyB01, you've posted before about how they "could"sell at that price ($30's). Sure they could, but they are in the business to make money, not to make you happy. Most will buy the 392 SP RT at $40k at will be happy for what they paid and got. You're living in a pipe dream to think those cars won't command a premium. Better start saving your pennies if you want one.
ehh...maybe you're right, it all depends on their marketing strategy...they could sell the hellcat for 80k plus too, but the pretty substantiated rumor is low 60s which just happens to be competitive with the competition price wise, and blows them out of the water performance wise...why wouldnt they go the same route with the Scat Pack?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
No matter what they do to an R/T many folks have R/T's, so they will upgrade to a SRT 392 just because it's a step up. I have 2 R/T's and am planning on a 2015 392, move up not across the ladder. A 392 R/T sounds great BTW.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm still of the belief that the pricing will look something like this:

23k-30k sxt
29k-39k 5.7 rt
37k-47k 392 rt thru the scat packs.
50-55k srt
60k+ hellcat.

32k for a 392 is very optimistic in the first 3 years (maybe ever) in my opinion.

·
Registered
610 Posts
so to answer your question once the new challengers come to sale.. your 6.1 is probably not going to be worth much.. it will be a huge drop in price.. which if you want to trade in ..hurry up.. if not then it shouldnt matter.. in my case... im waiting to get a 6.1 6 speed as a beater :) and ill keep my RT classic as a stock car...(since is auto and i love the looks)

·
Registered
610 Posts
The used car value never goes up unless is a limited production vehicle or rare.. which the 6.1 is not unless you have a numbered 2008 edition

·
Registered
627 Posts
As long as your happy with your car witch most ppl here are who cares what its worth (this coming from. A guy with a 6.1) lol

Reactions: Locko

·
Registered
610 Posts
As long as your happy with your car witch most ppl here are who cares what its worth (this coming from. A guy with a 6.1) lol
Exactly.. thats why im keeping my slow rt and buying a used 6.1 for beater and customizing

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The used car value never goes up unless is a limited production vehicle or rare.. which the 6.1 is not unless you have a numbered 2008 edition
The 2008 editions will be worth squat. People are confusing the market with the 70's cars. There..the earlier cars had the hemi's and more power. The power dropped year after year until they killed the cars.

Today...the 2008's were the slowest and gaining every year.

There is zero interest with first year runs of the Challenger/Camaro (forget the stangs) in the muscle car arena.
30 years for now, collectors will be hunting 392's and Hellcats, not 6.1's.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The 2008 editions will be worth squat. People are confusing the market with the 70's cars. There..the earlier cars had the hemis and more power. The power dropped year after year until they killed the cars.

Today...the 2008's were the slowest and gaining every year.

There is zero interest with first year runs of the Challenger/Camaro (forget the stangs) in the muscle car arena.
30 years for now, collectors will be hunting 392's and Hellcats, not 6.1's.
And most of us will be laying in a pine box...so I don't stress about "30 years from now"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts