Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tire size that will fill the wheel gaps horizontally. You can lower a car to fix the wheel gap vertically but I'm assuming you need bigger tires to fill in the sideways gap. For 20" wheels only (heritage wheels), what's a good looking tire size to fill in the gap? Pics welcomed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Try a 275-55-20 there about 3" bigger in diameter. That will really throw off your speedometer though.
not a big deal use your predator or trinity to readjust your tire dimensions no problem :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't there a limitation on the width of the tire for a 8" wide wheel, which I think the Heritage wheels are? I've read on here that 255 is the widest that is possible. If so, I could still fill in the gap by choosing a tire with a bigger sidewall ratio such as 255/50/20 or 255/55/20...right?

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you go to TireRack.com and click on tires by size you can put the size tire in and it will come up with what they sell in that size. Go into the specs portion and it will tell you just about everything you want to know about size, rim width, etc.

Isn't there a limitation on the width of the tire for a 8" wide wheel, which I think the Heritage wheels are? I've read on here that 255 is the widest that is possible. If so, I could still fill in the gap by choosing a tire with a bigger sidewall ratio such as 255/50/20 or 255/55/20...right?

·
Registered
909 Posts
When we chose the size for the rear tires (265/50R20), we took numerous measurements. We came to the conclusion that this size is close to the largest size (height and width) that would fit. There were taller tires but we didn't want to drop the speed rating that much. It appeared that the taller tire turned out to be truck tires. Plus we also wanted the same brand tire as the front - GY RSA.

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
You can go as wide as a P245 width tire on an 8" rim. A P245 tire would need at least an 8.5" rim.

If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder, which reduces tire life and could result in failure.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

First, you need to understand what the numbers mean. In your example above, 255 represents the section width. This is a measurement in millimeters from the widest part of the outer sidewall to the widest part of the inner sidewall (less any lettering, etc.). Please see the below diagram as an example:

50 represents the tire’s aspect ratio. This is a measurement of the section height (rim of the wheel; bead of the tire) to the tread as a percentage of the section width. In other words, “50” would signify that the sidewall height is 50% of the section width.

Having said that, when you increase the aspect ratio (like from 50 to 55 in your example) but don’t change the section width (say 255), the 55 series tire will be skinnier than the 50. There is more sidewall on the “55” so the measurement of the section width (again, widest point from outer to inner sidewall) will include less tread width than the “50”. ….make sense? You need to take all of these #'s into account when comparing sizes.

On a side note, also remember that when you change the height of the overall rolling diameter, you are effectively changing the gearing as well (speedometer/odometer issues aside). The bigger the difference (+ or -), the bigger the change (you may never notice). ....some folks will actually do this specifically for this reason in some applications.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, you need to understand what the numbers mean. In your example above, 255 represents the section width. This is a measurement in millimeters from the widest part of the outer sidewall to the widest part of the inner sidewall (less any lettering, etc.). Please see the below diagram as an example:

50 represents the tire’s aspect ratio. This is a measurement of the section height (rim of the wheel; bead of the tire) to the tread as a percentage of the section width. In other words, “50” would signify that the sidewall height is 50% of the section width.

Having said that, when you increase the aspect ratio (like from 50 to 55 in your example) but don’t change the section width (say 255), the 55 series tire will be skinnier than the 50. There is more sidewall on the “55” so the measurement of the section width (again, widest point from outer to inner sidewall) will include less tread width than the “50”. ….make sense? You need to take all of these #'s into account when comparing sizes.

On a side note, also remember that when you change the height of the overall rolling diameter, you are effectively changing the gearing as well (speedometer/odometer issues aside). The bigger the difference (+ or -), the bigger the change (you may never notice). ....some folks will actually do this specifically for this reason in some applications.
I don't understand the aspect ratio how you say it. If I have a 255/55/20 tire, the sidewall is 55% of the width(255), so why would the width of a 255/50/20 be bigger? Wouldn't the width(255) be the same but the sidewall would be smaller(50% of 255)? So only the overall diameter of the tire is bigger with a 255/55/20 but the width would be the same as a 255/50/20. You are probably right since I'm a beginner in car knowledge but I don't understand how what you said is true.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I don't understand the aspect ratio how you say it. If I have a 255/55/20 tire, the sidewall is 55% of the width(255), so why would the width of a 255/50/20 be bigger? Wouldn't the width(255) be the same but the sidewall would be smaller(50% of 255)? So only the overall diameter of the tire is bigger with a 255/55/20 but the width would be the same as a 255/50/20.
The aspect ratio is essentially the section height on the diagram. Remember, the section width (255) is from the rim of the wheel on one side all the way around the tire to the other. That doesn't change in our example.

Now, if you increase the sidewall height (aka aspect ratio, profile, series), you use up some of that section width measurement. In other words, as the sidewall height increases, the tread width decreases if the section width remains the same. As a result, a 255/55 tire would be taller than a 255/50 tire but the tread width would be narrower.

....or think of it this way. With a 255/55, you're using up 55% of the total section width for sidewall height (inner and outer) while the rest (45%) is basically tread width. With a 255/50, it would be 50/50 of the 255 mm.

I hope that helps although I may not be doing a good job of explaining it (I think I'm even beginning to confuse myself).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you want to compare tire sizes the best source of information is the manufacturer's specs. They provide all the pertinent dimensions of tire mounted on a wheel, including the width of the wheel on which the dimension were taken.

For instance, the 255/45ZR20 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on our car measure 29.1" high with a 10" section width and 8.7" tread width when mounted on an 8.5" wide wheel.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You can go as wide as a P245 width tire on an 8" rim. A P245 tire would need at least an 8.5" rim.

If the rim is too narrow, the flex point moves toward the shoulder area, creating heat buildup in the shoulder, which reduces tire life and could result in failure.
not saying your wrong, but there are a bunch of guys that are running 275s and some even wider on the stock 8" wide chrome clads without any problems after many miles. i know what you are saying though with manufacturer specs and all, but it is possible to go a bit wider within reason.

·
Registered
492 Posts
255/50/20

So as long as their not a light truck or suv tire would size 255/50/20 fit for the 20in chrome clads? I am keeping stock goodyear rsa on front and only want rsa on back....... I have a predator to adjust the speedo but will it give the car a angled look lower in front, higher sitting back? Or is that tire size not enough to make a noticible difference ??

Specific tire info
Goodyear rsa
P255/50R-20 104V CHV

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hmmmm I thought 255 is 255 regardless of the aspect ratio. The larger the aspect ratio, the taller the tire holding everything else constant.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So as long as their not a light truck or suv tire would size 255/50/20 fit for the 20in chrome clads? I am keeping stock goodyear rsa on front and only want rsa on back....... I have a predator to adjust the speedo but will it give the car a angled look lower in front, higher sitting back? Or is that tire size not enough to make a noticible difference ??

Specific tire info
Goodyear rsa
P255/50R-20 104V CHV
Yes, that tire will fit the 8" Chrome Clad wheels.

Yes, that tire will be be slightly taller than the stock tire, giving you a slight rake that will be noticeable. If after installing the rear tires you still want more rake, install SRT front springs to drop the front.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Flustered

I asked around on here and I got the 255 50 20 for the rear.... They don't fit how can guys have 265 50 20 and fit. When I say fit I mean on the stock rear end. The Inside of the tire hits The body seam. What am I doing wrong is their a spacer needed? I ordered 255/4520 and will put the. On tomorrow if anyone can t help.......

·
Registered
492 Posts
help

can anyone answer this for me? I really like this size tire but if I dont get any help before tomorrow at 11 im gonna go the stock size tire....which i dont want.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm trying to understand which part of the tire isn't clearing. Is it the tread, or is it the side of the tire that's rubbing?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts