Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What's the best looking tire size?

28K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  RoostKing 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a tire size that will fill the wheel gaps horizontally. You can lower a car to fix the wheel gap vertically but I'm assuming you need bigger tires to fill in the sideways gap. For 20" wheels only (heritage wheels), what's a good looking tire size to fill in the gap? Pics welcomed. Thanks.

#6 ·
Isn't there a limitation on the width of the tire for a 8" wide wheel, which I think the Heritage wheels are? I've read on here that 255 is the widest that is possible. If so, I could still fill in the gap by choosing a tire with a bigger sidewall ratio such as 255/50/20 or 255/55/20...right?

#8 ·
When we chose the size for the rear tires (265/50R20), we took numerous measurements. We came to the conclusion that this size is close to the largest size (height and width) that would fit. There were taller tires but we didn't want to drop the speed rating that much. It appeared that the taller tire turned out to be truck tires. Plus we also wanted the same brand tire as the front - GY RSA.

#13 ·
If you want to compare tire sizes the best source of information is the manufacturer's specs. They provide all the pertinent dimensions of tire mounted on a wheel, including the width of the wheel on which the dimension were taken.

For instance, the 255/45ZR20 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on our car measure 29.1" high with a 10" section width and 8.7" tread width when mounted on an 8.5" wide wheel.

#15 ·
255/50/20

So as long as their not a light truck or suv tire would size 255/50/20 fit for the 20in chrome clads? I am keeping stock goodyear rsa on front and only want rsa on back....... I have a predator to adjust the speedo but will it give the car a angled look lower in front, higher sitting back? Or is that tire size not enough to make a noticible difference ??

Specific tire info
Goodyear rsa
P255/50R-20 104V CHV

#17 ·
So as long as their not a light truck or suv tire would size 255/50/20 fit for the 20in chrome clads? I am keeping stock goodyear rsa on front and only want rsa on back....... I have a predator to adjust the speedo but will it give the car a angled look lower in front, higher sitting back? Or is that tire size not enough to make a noticible difference ??

Specific tire info
Goodyear rsa
P255/50R-20 104V CHV
Yes, that tire will fit the 8" Chrome Clad wheels.

Yes, that tire will be be slightly taller than the stock tire, giving you a slight rake that will be noticeable. If after installing the rear tires you still want more rake, install SRT front springs to drop the front.

#18 ·
Flustered

I asked around on here and I got the 255 50 20 for the rear.... They don't fit how can guys have 265 50 20 and fit. When I say fit I mean on the stock rear end. The Inside of the tire hits The body seam. What am I doing wrong is their a spacer needed? I ordered 255/4520 and will put the. On tomorrow if anyone can t help.......

#19 ·
help

can anyone answer this for me? I really like this size tire but if I dont get any help before tomorrow at 11 im gonna go the stock size tire....which i dont want.

#21 ·
help

this isnt a challenger only pic i could find online to explaiin but the tire is rubbing where i added the arrow to this e

Attachments

#22 ·
Tire problems

on our cars the plasitc well guard is directly in front of the lower left body seam........... hope this will help explain my problem.......Anyone out there who did the larger tire mod? Did you have this problem?

#23 · (Edited)
on our cars the plasitc well guard is directly in front of the lower left body seam........... hope this will help explain my problem.......Anyone out there who did the larger tire mod? Did you have this problem?
I just swapped out from summer wheels / tires to winter wheels / tires this past weekend. I had just under 1" of clearance at the point of concern, with the stock 245/45R20 tires and heritage wheels.

The 265/50/R20 is about 1.25" larger in dia and .8" wider. If you were to take a cross section through that area of least clearance, pythagorean theorum shows that your 265/50/R20 tire is ~.9" closer to the well than the stock 245/45/R20. I can see a potential clearance issue. Some people have modified the wheel well to get a fatter tire to fit: heat or cutting.

#24 ·
tire

the 255 50 20 is alot bigger than the stock 245 45 20 I put it on and tire wont even spin........so I dont know how else to explain my problem.... I just know i need help

#25 ·
The 255/50-20 is 1.4" larger in overall tire diameter than the 245/45-20, half of which is .7" or a little less than 3/4" larger radius

I have 2.5" clearance where your arrow pointed in your picture on my Challenger with stock diameter 20" tires, so there should be plenty of room to spare.

I know this sounds silly, but are you sure the tires you're trying to fit are 255/50-20 (by reading the side of the tire)?

#27 ·
Issue resolved?

Well last night I read some responses and I thougt man theirs no way I got the wrong size and didn't notice (not my first rodeo) well I put the wheels on because I thought since it was jacked up maybe the way the suspension was hanging was causing the contact at the front corner. I believe that's what it was. After reading the last reply I'm even more leaning that way. I test drove and no rubbing.

#29 ·
I just took a picture 3 minutes ago while waiting for my girlfriend to finish her doctors appointment. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.