Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They repaved a long stretch on my way to work and apparently some of it was not yet ready for the driving public. Luckily I was driving my Ram rather than the Challenger. But it now has a thick coating, in some places like a spray in liner, on the bottom all along the body and of course the wheel wells. Goo Gone will take it off with some effort but it would take gallons. Anyone know of a really good tar remover that will not harm the paint?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No personal experience (shudder), but...

CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover

A Guy
Thanks. I'm headed to Wally World and become a car magnet by parking in the North Forty. Maybe I'll have a photo for the other thread. I'll try a couple of their products and then order this stuff when they don't work. Pisses me off. This stuff is thick. I didn't see it, hear it or smell it. Just noticed when I went to wash it last night when the outside temp got below 200 degrees.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Gasoline is what I find is the best and easiest way I have used and wash off with water then wax area. I don't like to use anything with ADHESIVE IN IT ON CAR PAINT WITH CLEAR COAT.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gasoline is what I find is the best and easiest way I have used and wash off with water then wax area. I don't like to use anything with ADHESIVE IN IT ON CAR PAINT WITH CLEAR COAT.
Yep, I was considering that but I was concerned about softening the paint. When I maintained aircraft, we used to use JP4 (jet fuel) to get dried on hydraulic fluid off the airframe.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Goo Gone! Tar, gum, stickers, glue...

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Wally World actually had Lifter 1 tar remover which is the brand I've used for a long time but is usually hard to find. It works better than the Goo Gone but I'll be darned, the WD-40 works best. It will take some time for the really thick areas. I'll have to scrape them first.

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
I would be afraid to use gasoline on my paint. If you are not careful to get all of it off, it will leave a stain that will be nearly impossible to remove once it sets in. I prefer Meguiars Bug & Tar Remover. For only $7.99 a bottle, I know that I will be using something that has been thoroughly tested on paint surfaces.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Charcoal lighter fluid . rag/towel should be almost dripping. I've used it for 35 + years on every vehicle I've owned . Never damages paint .

·
Registered
566 Posts
Gas or lighter fluid is dangerous or harmful to paint ? what do you guys think was used before there were 40 different bug and tar removers on the shelf at Walmart ? or before clearcoats that protect the base color ?
LOLOLOL ! SMH..

·
Registered
42 Posts
http://www.mckees37.com/bug-sponge1.html?utm_source=bug-sponge1&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CjwKEAjwvr3KBRD_i_Lz6cihrDASJADUkGCasVQxSciy6EcWTr_kSI0hcIktNoffY-E8zlgphubAfBoCi8Lw_wcB

This sponge along with a waterless wash or a all purpose cleaner. Let the ww or the cleaner soak for 2 or 3 mins out of direct sun. Lightly scrub the bugs away with the sponge. This is far and away the easiest method I've used. It's not a challenger but I detailed this vette fresh off of a 2200 mile power tour trip and the front was loaded with bugs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
They repaved a long stretch on my way to work and apparently some of it was not yet ready for the driving public. Luckily I was driving my Ram rather than the Challenger. But it now has a thick coating, in some places like a spray in liner, on the bottom all along the body and of course the wheel wells. Goo Gone will take it off with some effort but it would take gallons. Anyone know of a really good tar remover that will not harm the paint?
There isn't much that a damp dryer sheet won't take off. The only time a dryer sheet didn't work for me is when I got some line paint on a quarter behind the wheel. You will have to wax the area again.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,194 Posts
Stoner Tarminator is my favorite tar remover. It comes in an aerosol can, so it's easy to apply right in those 'hard-to-reach' spots, which makes it the perfect go-to for de-plastidipping a set of wheels or something similarly odd shaped. The only place I have seen it for sale OTC is O'Reilly Auto Parts and Kroger grocery store oddly enough.

Not sure if you have access to either of those, but check it out if you do, you won't be disappointed!

Nuke

NOTE: the can pictured on O'Reilly's web site link above appears to be a new design, as it's not what the cans look like that I've bought previously. All the one's I have used where black and green with a yellow cap. I guess they redesigned them or refreshed them or something, and that's what the pic in the link is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts