Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time to replace my spoiler (if necessary) is coming up and I'm trying to decide between a number of different options. I'm looking for some advice.

Right now, I have the normal stock SRT spoiler. It seems pretty straightforward. It looks like the lip pops up enough to give some downforce for track work.

Option 2 is to install the Mopar SRT Performance spoiler. There's been debate in a few forums about what it actually does (if anything). Based on how it's more flat, it would seem it's more for high-speed work where downforce isn't a priority - highway runs, drag racing, etc. But, I could see that extra few inches allowing for more downforce as the air flows off the back of the car maybe? I don't think there has been any information put out by Dodge regarding its actual aero effect. So, I'm not sure whether it's right for track work. IMO, though, it definitely looks better.

Option 3 is a wicker bill style. I really hate the look of these because it looks like someone just drilled some plexiglass into the stock spoiler. I think it looks completely ghetto and I'm not even sure I'd do it if it was the best option. I understand that the higher lip increases downforce, though. So, maybe it is the best option.

The rest of the options start getting into wings - which I love! I'd love to put a wing on the Redeye!!! My first and main question is - do I leave the spoiler on? If I take the spoiler off, how do I fill the holes left in the trunk lid after I remove it?

Either way, Option 4 is the Viper ACR wing. This is what Wesley Motorsports runs (without a spoiler). Since he's pretty much the authority in track racing a Challenger, it seems like this is the best choice. I've spoken to him through Facebook and he's confirmed he has structural support all the way through the trunk to the frame. I would just be mounting to the trunk lid. I've read that's not the best choice, but also not the worst. You'll have some flex in the trunk lid, but if you mount it in the right place, it won't be too bad. The Viper ACR arms are very close together, though.

Last, Option 5 is a wing specifically made for the Challenger. Maybe not as aggressive as the Viper ACR wing, but the support arms are wider apart. It makes me think it might be a better choice since I'm mounting to the trunk lid and having it mount over near the edge offers support through the fender wells.

I'm not looking for "what's coolest." I'm looking to figure out what's best for the track.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,006 Posts
How hard can you push down on the trunk lid before it bends?

What track? More downforce will reduce times on a tighter track. Less downforce (drag) will reduce times on a more open track.

What is the top speed you'll see on that track?

What tires? Can they take the additional load?

It all matters. Unless you want to do the R&D to figure it out, just stick with stock.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
if your going to compete in a certain class, make sure what the rules are before jumping

USCA legal rear spoiler that uses the factory spoiler basic mounts

No, no specific class. Just looking to improve handling and cornering ability for weekend HPDE stuff.

Not sure if the Challenger in that photo is yours, but I think it's awesome you did the through-the-license-plate tow hook mount. I just put the tow hooks on my car and was debating whether to do it that way. I ended up deciding to just cover the hole with the plate and swap it to the tow hook when I get to the track since the tow hook sticks out so far.

But seeing yours, it looks pretty good!

·
Vendor
13,079 Posts
Not sure if the Challenger in that photo is yours, but I think it's awesome you did the through-the-license-plate tow hook mount. I just put the tow hooks on my car and was debating whether to do it that way. I ended up deciding to just cover the hole with the plate and swap it to the tow hook when I get to the track since the tow hook sticks out so far.

But seeing yours, it looks pretty good!

from COTA last November

·
Premium Member
Hellraisin 2021 SPWB Shaker
281 Posts
The SRT spoiler was initially developed for the Redeye to add more downforce over 150 MPH, as part of the effort to maximize the Redeye's top speed. It's jewelry at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,866 Posts
The time to replace my spoiler (if necessary) is coming up and I'm trying to decide between a number of different options. I'm looking for some advice.

Right now, I have the normal stock SRT spoiler. It seems pretty straightforward. It looks like the lip pops up enough to give some downforce for track work.
View attachment 1024232

Option 2 is to install the Mopar SRT Performance spoiler. There's been debate in a few forums about what it actually does (if anything). Based on how it's more flat, it would seem it's more for high-speed work where downforce isn't a priority - highway runs, drag racing, etc. But, I could see that extra few inches allowing for more downforce as the air flows off the back of the car maybe? I don't think there has been any information put out by Dodge regarding its actual aero effect. So, I'm not sure whether it's right for track work. IMO, though, it definitely looks better.
View attachment 1024233

Option 3 is a wicker bill style. I really hate the look of these because it looks like someone just drilled some plexiglass into the stock spoiler. I think it looks completely ghetto and I'm not even sure I'd do it if it was the best option. I understand that the higher lip increases downforce, though. So, maybe it is the best option.
View attachment 1024234

The rest of the options start getting into wings - which I love! I'd love to put a wing on the Redeye!!! My first and main question is - do I leave the spoiler on? If I take the spoiler off, how do I fill the holes left in the trunk lid after I remove it?

Either way, Option 4 is the Viper ACR wing. This is what Wesley Motorsports runs (without a spoiler). Since he's pretty much the authority in track racing a Challenger, it seems like this is the best choice. I've spoken to him through Facebook and he's confirmed he has structural support all the way through the trunk to the frame. I would just be mounting to the trunk lid. I've read that's not the best choice, but also not the worst. You'll have some flex in the trunk lid, but if you mount it in the right place, it won't be too bad. The Viper ACR arms are very close together, though.
View attachment 1024235

Last, Option 5 is a wing specifically made for the Challenger. Maybe not as aggressive as the Viper ACR wing, but the support arms are wider apart. It makes me think it might be a better choice since I'm mounting to the trunk lid and having it mount over near the edge offers support through the fender wells.
View attachment 1024236

I'm not looking for "what's coolest." I'm looking to figure out what's best for the track.

Thanks for the help! :)
If you can't find any official factory info on the benefits of the front air dam/rear spoiler there probably isn't any.

Or worse the hardware hurts performance.

I can recall years ago a car mag "tested" the aerodynamics -- rear spoiler -- of a Mustang. It found with the spoiler present it made no difference in road course track times. On a test to measure wind drag the spoiler contributed to that.

This with the factory spoiler, too.

Absent any real valid info I'd say you are better off staying with the what the car came with from the factory. In fact I'd offer that a change in aerodynamics is not going to put you on the podium if you are not already there running the factory setup.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
575 Posts
If you're drag racing or going for 1+ mile landspeed runs I can see going with the Redeye Performance spoiler. If you're competitive at autocross on a national level, a wickerbill style may be the way to go.

If you're a track addict on the circuit with times consistently within a second of each other, a wing may be the next tool in attempt to get those last couple precious seconds. I recall reading an article comparing track times on Gen5 Vipers (TA vs ACR, or ACR vs ACR-E?) with a focus on the performance gains of the ACR Extreme's aero package and carbon ceramic brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts