Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK!
So Piston Pete is out of the shop 2 months now.
At the one month ponit, there was enough crap on the top surfaces that I used up a full clay bar.
Then did Maguire's Poly Sealant and Ice Wax!

She's in the shop now, where they wanted to touch up buff a place or two, and now the shop owner is trying to get me to buy CERAMIC COATING!
Says it will last years on the paint.
He has a subcontractor that will do it for $750. (not sure of the exact product).

Yes, even with the recent clearcoat and buffing, there are till some slightly visible scratches when you look up really close.
I am very satisfied with result of the poly seal and wax. But, I know that it would have to be done a couple times a year with my driving habits.

SHOULD I DO IT???

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
We'd need more info on the coating. If the car needed NO correction, I can imagine a price that low. The major cost of having mine coated was the 2 stage correction, and my car was just over 3 months old. He did approximately 25 hours of correction. That's what made the difference in my coating. There are many ceramic coatings, and usually there is a guarantee of 2+ years. If you enjoy waxing and sealing, I imagine you can get a similar quality finish. But the coatings have hydrophobic properties and protect against chemicals, etc.

I had CQuartz Finest. Now they have Professional, and Finest Reserve

CQuartz Professional Extreme Automotive Protection

CQuartz Finest Reserve nano-ceramic automotive paint protection

These are professional installation only, you cannot buy these particular coatings and do it yourself. There are of course other options that are also do it yourself. The difference is the paint correction.

A Guy

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had it done on the Hellcat because of the package the dealer offered when I bought the car. It was an interior,exterior,undercarriage deal. Covers small scratches, interior stains and rust I think for 3 years. I will say it makes it easier to wash car. The water beads right off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I say do it. I'm spending this weekend doing it myself. Going to wash, clay, polish then apply the ceramic coating. Its pretty much a whole day process and its the labor that your really paying for not the actual cost of the sealant.

I drive my car year round so for me, its about protecting my car as much as possible thru the winter months.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
I only use water less wash and wax, since wax removes it, this is no go for me.
Where did you read or hear this about ceramic coatings? They have a hardness level superior to sealants to strip the coating is a bear depending on which coating was used. Even a cleaner/wax won't remove Ceramic Coatings.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
A guy that applies it said not to wax it.
Well, yes, you should not wax a coated car. But only because the wax won't bond, it will literally be time wasted, and for a time it will mess with the surface tension properties (water beading/sheeting).

You can use a sealant like Reload on the CQuartz Coatings as they are designed to work together. Other coating companies have similar "topper" products that do the same thing. Some are required maintenance for the coating, some (like Reload) are not required....which is why I like CQuartz so much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK!
and now the shop owner is trying to get me to buy CERAMIC COATING!
Says it will last years on the paint.
He has a subcontractor that will do it for $750. (not sure of the exact product).

Yes, even with the recent clearcoat and buffing, there are till some slightly visible scratches when you look up really close.
I am very satisfied with result of the poly seal and wax. But, I know that it would have to be done a couple times a year with my driving habits.

SHOULD I DO IT???
NO, because even the lowest of the ceramic nano coating technologies available today is still very durable and MUCH harder to remove than they were 3-4 years ago.

This means that those small imperfections you have noticed will be locked in by the coating (assuming a quality install) and they will FOREVER bother you.

85+% of a good ceramic nano coating install is the work done before it, in this case the paint correction. Therefore, ideally before the ceramic coating application you want to get the paint to the level you desire, then put the coating on.

Think of it like laminating a piece of paper. You would want the laminated sheet to be perfect before it goes in the machine so it can be preserved for a long while. You wouldn't want to laminate a coffee stained sheet of paper.

Its the same with the state of the paint before applying the coating. SO IF you are considering a coating, take it to a surface care professional who is know for their ability to effectively finish the paint -- since this is the basis of a quality coating install. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So last week I picked up Pete at the Shop!
She had gotten the 9H Ceramic Coating.
:surprise:

I MUST SAY THAT THE PAINT IS NOW STUNNING, and FLAWLESS!
Even a picture would not do justice!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
Congrats! It's hard to describe how good it looks. I know people can approach it with wax and sealants and such, but a good nano coating has it's own look. A Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts