Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your vehicle have a Spare Tire?

In the event that your vehicle does have a spare assembly, whether it be full size or a compact, do you know the condition?

Like other tires, a spare tire can be impacted from exposure to UV, from heat, and other conditions. To avoid having spare tire troubles, check out our write-up linked below and if you're in need of a replacement spare or an entire spare assembly, shoot us a PM and we'll make sure you're taken care of!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Discount Tire

Does your vehicle have a Spare Tire?

In the event that your vehicle does have a spare assembly, whether it be full size or a compact, do you know the condition?
Yes my car does have a spare wheel/tyre assembly, it has a full size wheel fitted with the correct size tyre that is less than three years old, it is in excellent condition and fully inflated (in fact a little over inflated by a few PSI), I also have a hydraulic jack, wheel brace and torque wrench in my trunk should I ever need to change a wheel on the side of the road.

Thank-you for asking

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi ChallyTatum

Man, I wonder how long that trunk liner is gonna last with that unsecured, full-sized spare banging about?
The trunk liner will last a lot longer than I will probably own this car, I have a 485hp car that I drive like an old lady for around 4000 miles a year and the spare never moves in the trunk.

Thank-you for your concern

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
I have an 18" donut spare thrown in my trunk. I have the 18 speaker HK system, so no room for the spare tire below. It really doesn't move unless I hit a hard bump, then I can hear it fall back down.

This is a needed thread. CHECK YOUR SPARE TIRE. My donut spare hasn't been needed in years, so I never really checked in on it. The donut is supposed to be inflated to 60 PSI. Mine was at 16 PSI. :surprise:

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I told the wife today that the widebody we just received does not even have a spare tire option she insisted we get one anyway, even though it won't fit in the well now filled with the Harmon Kardon speakers. I guess I will be looking into spares soon.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Discount Tire

Yes my car does have a spare wheel/tyre assembly, it has a full size wheel fitted with the correct size tyre that is less than three years old, it is in excellent condition and fully inflated (in fact a little over inflated by a few PSI), I also have a hydraulic jack, wheel brace and torque wrench in my trunk should I ever need to change a wheel on the side of the road.

Thank-you for asking

Regards

Dereck
good idea, I might need one if I decide to go on a long road trip somewhere

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just got my widebody and I want a spare for trips. I want a skinny spare for in town but would also like a full size but not necessarily a 20x11 that came on the car, but at least as tall a tire. What size wheel diameter do I need to clear the six piston calipers and what stock tire and wheel combo will work as a spare on this big brake car?

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
I just got my widebody and I want a spare for trips. I want a skinny spare for in town but would also like a full size but not necessarily a 20x11 that came on the car, but at least as tall a tire. What size wheel diameter do I need to clear the six piston calipers and what stock tire and wheel combo will work as a spare on this big brake car?
You're only real option is the kit from Modern Spare. It comes with the spare, jack, wrench and the spacer so the spare will clear the 6-piston front brakes, the spacer not needed for the rear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a matching tire in my trunk right now so if I get towed at least I won’t have to wait for a tire delivery that could take a day or two. I’m getting a matching rim soon so I can just continue on if on a trip. Funny thing is the rim is $750.00 on the Mopar site but the dealer wants $1150.00 to order it. What a mark up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You're only real option is the kit from Modern Spare. It comes with the spare, jack, wrench and the spacer so the spare will clear the 6-piston front brakes, the spacer not needed for the rear.

I had the same issue when I put 13" Mustang brakes on my Javelin. The 16" mini spare would not fit over the brakes. I had to carry a spacer, but when I leave town I swap to a 17" minispare that doesn't fit in the back seat so I built a continental kit style rear mount that fit in the rear receiver. I would not mind carrying a mini spare in the trunk of the Challenger but a 20x11 wheel and tire combo would kill the trunk space.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I check the air in the spare at every oil change. Usually doesn't need more than a pound or two.

Let's say I just bought a 31-year-old car, with a 15-inch "convenience spare" which is flat (with an aluminum rim, even!). Is it possible to get a replacement tire? Don't yet know if I'll need it or not, I aired it up and am waiting to see if it goes down.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
I check the air in the spare at every oil change. Usually doesn't need more than a pound or two.

Let's say I just bought a 31-year-old car, with a 15-inch "convenience spare" which is flat (with an aluminum rim, even!). Is it possible to get a replacement tire? Don't yet know if I'll need it or not, I aired it up and am waiting to see if it goes down.
What car and what's the bolt pattern on the rim? Might be cheaper and easier to find a newer complete spare if it will work.

·
Registered
399 Posts
'88 Crown Victoria, 5 on 4-1/2. Should be common as dirt, Ford, Mopar, Toyota, and everyone else. It's just that I've never seen a space-saver with an aluminum wheel before (cast).

The tire's never been out from under its shroud, still has the factory lettering on it, and no age cracks. Has held air for 3 days so it's probably okay.

This car is absolutely cherry, except for some bootleg repairs. Just gave it a new transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Discount Tire
Thank-you for asking

Regards
Dereck
Dereck,
Thanks for the pic showing how a full-size spare fits in the trunk.

Just got a leftover new ‘18 6.4/A8. Planning a lower-48 retirement tour. (I’m 69. She’s 62.) For peace of mind, I’d like to have a full-size spare.

Questions:
1.) Which hydraulic jack?
2.) What’s a “wheel brace”?
3.) If the back seat is down, can the full-size spare be pushed through to rest against the back of the console and front seats?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I looked into the modern spares and long term I think that is the way I will go. The only issue I have is that they use the same stock photo for every application. The tire and rim shown is a multi pattern deep recess wheel and no pictures of the spacer or info about what lug nuts are included. After seeing that setup I realized I already have a 17" mini spare from a Mustang that might work until I get the other set up. I had a 2" thick wheel adapter already so I test fit it over the studs. The adapter is for a 5 x 4 1/2" pattern and fit perfect. The Challenger wheels are not hub centric so that part was fine. The mini spare fit the adapter great also. The problem is that the Challenger studs are 13mm and the factory nuts do not fit in the recess in the adapter and the only 13mm fine thread lug not I have would take a socket that also will not fit in the recess where the nuts hold the adapter to the rotor. Also the 17" wheel just barely clears the Brembo brakes so it is too close for my taste and I will not use it this way. Is there a factory mini spare that will clear the big brakes until I decide to spend close to $400 for the modern spare kit, (jack, spare, spacer, lug wrench and storage bag.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone ever try one of those air bag lifts versus a jack? I think you use the exhaust to inflate the bag to lift the car. Seems easier if in fact it works.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
16 Participants
Marks_1320
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing