Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know why the headlights are "cut off" at the top? Its the only thing I find a little jarring about the front of the car. Was it due to space, or just aesthetics? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whenever I look at the front of the car that's the first thing that grabs my attention. I don't hate it, but it takes getting used to.

There must be an explanation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No offense....
But, Are You Nutz??:rolleyes:

Just teasing... Seriously, But I think that's what makes the whole front end....
Makes it look just the Slightest bit Pizzed off!!:mad: :cool: :mad:

That's actually what made me like the car over the Camaro concept, I'm officially a Chevy man, But I recognize a Bad Azz MuscleCar when I see one, Which is why I'll be Buying a Challenger! That and the Butterfly Intake, the Muscle Car Shoulders and the Big single taillight bar.... Oh yeah, and the HEMI!:D
Hope I didn't offend, Just my 2 cents>

Smokn~:cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Depth perception! It allows the headlights to appear they are set in the grill opening further than they really are. Thus allowing them to appear they are deeply set like the 70 & 71 Challengers without creating the lift and drag co-efficient of the original.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting.. based on my reading it sounded like the inner lights are set further back but i'm surprised they need to chop the tops off the lights to get the illusion of depth. guess i need to see it "in person". Thanks! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are right, the inside lights are set back further. But compared to the 70 they are modeling this after it does not have the depth, however this allows it to appear it has more than it does. This gives the car decent aerodynamics while retaining the Retro look. The cover photo of the March issue of HOT ROD shows the lack of depth of the outboard lights pretty well. They used alot of perceptual tricks when they designed this car. Nice Job DCX!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you look at the magazine cover, it does look like they are deeper in because the tops are curtailed. You may be on to something!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang.. now I see it. Optical illusion indeed, you have to be looking at it from an angle, especially top down. Wow. Still not sure what to think of it from a front view but I really understand why they did it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
firstmethod said:
Hey does anyone know why the headlights are "cut off" at the top? Its the only thing I find a little jarring about the front of the car. Was it due to space, or just aesthetics? Thanks.
First thing that I want to do is buy the darn thing. Forgive me for asking but where do you put gas in the Challenger? Do you open the trunk on the prototype car? Just looked at both sides of it and can't locate where you fill-it-up. Maybe you only have to fill it up once and away you go --- I wish
Carl

·
Registered
57 Posts
cbacani said:
First thing that I want to do is buy the darn thing. Forgive me for asking but where do you put gas in the Challenger? Do you open the trunk on the prototype car? Just looked at both sides of it and can't locate where you fill-it-up. Maybe you only have to fill it up once and away you go --- I wish
Carl

Yah, I heard DCX was working with Electric Boat on this.
Might have to stop for a fresh fuel rod every 4 or 5 years... ;)

:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I LOVE the Hooded Headlights! The front end of the Challenger is definitely one of it's strong points...

The hooded lights give it a menacing look, like it's saying "You're Mine, Dirtbag...It's just a Question of How Much Horsepower I'm joing to expend to blow you into the weeds..."

LJB:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
M3SMG02 said:
I LOVE the Hooded Headlights! The front end of the Challenger is definitely one of it's strong points...

The hooded lights give it a menacing look, like it's saying "You're Mine, Dirtbag...It's just a Question of How Much Horsepower I'm joing to expend to blow you into the weeds..."

...and, they go great with the little smile below!

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
All I know is I like the headlights.:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
cbacani said:
Carl
I havent seen any pictures of inside the Challenger concept's trunk. My guess is that theres some kind of fuel cell in the trunk.

I'm hoping there will be a passenger side gas cap just like the 1970's Challys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The lights look good but...
I don't like the parking light ring around the high beam lights. I'd like to see them put some type of small light (simular to the Charger) either between the headlights or in the lower inner corner.

·
Registered
598 Posts
HEMIDON said:
The lights look good but...
I don't like the parking light ring around the high beam lights. I'd like to see them put some type of small light (simular to the Charger) either between the headlights or in the lower inner corner.
Don't you touch "The Six Shooters"!!:p :D :cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vanishing Point said:
Don't you touch "The Six Shooters"!!:p :D :cool:
Agreed. The old challengers were all about the cool trick options and the little details. Stuff like the pistol grip. The six shooters instantly distinguish the car from all other cars on the road. Muscle cars are all about individuality.:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts