Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was just wondering why my car's VIN 2C3CDZFJ5LH and another 2020 equipped exactly the same as mine, for the exception of the stripe package is 2C3CDZFJ6LH? :unsure:

Both cars are 2020 Scat Pack 392 R/T "Shaker" Frostbite blue, automatics, with all the same options and base price. Why the difference ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
A check digit? Well, good thing his paint is frostbite, because hot checks can land you in jail!

<crickets>

What do you want from me?!? I just wrapped up a 5 hour drive in only 8 hours.

But on the bright side, my confidence in my Firestone Indy 500 tires’ wet traction is completely renewed!

Also, the blinding rain made it hard to know for sure, but I may have run over a dismembered torso somewhere between Stephenville and Granbury...

Night, night!

Reactions: Loopy

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Simply stated, the check digit is used to validate the VIN number. The VIN checksum for the US and Canadian market is the 9th digit. Many car buyers in these countries do not know that this particular digit does not provide any information about the vehicle. It is a unique character which shows an incorrect VIN when it is compared with an error checking algorithm’s result.

·
Registered
16,219 Posts
I was just wondering why my car's VIN 2C3CDZFJ5LH and another 2020 equipted exactly the same as mine, for the exception of the stripe package is 2C3CDZFJ6LH ? :unsure: Both cars are 2020 Scat Pack 392 R/T "Shaker" Frostbite blue, automatics, with all the same options and base price. Why the difference ?
The first parts of the VIN will often be the same, the only things that will change is the car series, engine, check digit and of course, the last 6 numbers of the VIN which will be unique to each vehicle built for that model year.

So the 2C3CDZ will all be the same for all late model Challengers.

The F means Scat Pack so all Scat Packs will have this.

The J is the engine code for the 392 so all Scat Packs will also have this.

So the VIN on all Scat Packs will start with 2C3CDZFJ.

The check digit will vary from 0-9 or the letter X.

L is 2020 so all 2020 cars will have an L here.

H is Brampton so all will have an H here.

So that's about it for the VIN.

Stripes and other options have no designation in the VIN, not even the transmission. Just what was posted above.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first parts of the VIN will often be the same, the only things that will change is the car series, engine, check digit and of course, the last 6 numbers of the VIN which will be unique to each vehicle built for that model year.

So the 2C3CDZ will all be the same for all late model Challengers.

The F means Scat Pack so all Scat Packs will have this.

The J is the engine code for the 392 so all Scat Packs will also have this.

So the VIN on all Scat Packs will start with 2C3CDZFJ.

The check digit will vary from 0-9 or the letter X.

L is 2020 so all 2020 cars will have an L here.

H is Brampton so all will have an H here.

So that's about it for the VIN.

Stripes and other options have no designation in the VIN, not even the transmission. Just what was posted above.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thx, ya'll have been very helpful. (y) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts