Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
254 Posts
Hi,

Mine and my older cars all sit during winter 4-6 months depending upon weather

Fuel stabilizer I have used in my older cars mostly worried about corrosion in the carbs but running 93-91 Octane never had a problem

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Plus Manual
12 Posts
Mine sits all the time, bought it august 2019 only has 4,000. I use a different vehicle for work while my baby sits at home. My challenger is my recreational vehicle.(y)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
633 Posts
Longest mine has sat without driving is 2 weeks. Most of the time its 7 to 10 days. I drive my Ram to work most of the time depending on parking conditions.

Reactions: GR8WHTSHK

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
484 Posts
This winter and last winter, mine sat from December to March. Previous owner did roughly the same timeframe. That's why my 2015 has only 21K miles. I will never drive it on the salty, sandy, pothole filled roads I see in Iowa (let alone the days upon days of sub-zero temps.

I put 6K on it last year, this year's driving season I plan to put another 10K on it.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,865 Posts
Up to a couple of three months every time I come up with a new mod for it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whoa, remind me to never buy a SP from you... lol. It's not the spray on the paint that's an issue, that's protected with clear coat and wax, it's the undercarriage that is now being devoured by the salt and brine. And you're supposed to wait till the engine is up to temp before hitting 3-4K rpm, not use high rpm to get to temp...
It is the undercarriage I'm concerned about. But since I'm not putting the car up on blocks & storing it for the winter I figured it's better to periodically drive it in order to keep the battery charged, the tires round, etc. Even if I drove it all winter it would still last for many years. I'm just trying to keep it clean as possible. Not perfect, just clean as possible.

My original posting did say after it was warmed up. But the forum locked up when I tried to post & I had to start all over & guess forgot about the warm up part. So yes, the oil temperature was 210 degrees when I started to rev things up a bit. It didn't take much to get it to 215° & then 217° popped up.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,972 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Since purchased (August 2011), every year the SRT8 sits in a storage facility from end of September to the end of April. I put about 2600-3500 miles on her per year. She is sleeping right now with about 28270+ miles (3000 on her new engine). She resides on a padded concrete floor (and slightly elevated to reduce stress on her limbs), a couple of (blankets) car covers to tuck her in and keep her "clean", a trickle charger on the original! (disconnected) battery, and octane boost, stabilizer and ethanol dryer in her full belly.

During the year, I take her out weekly, to stretch her legs and take in car shows. On occasion, I let her devour a stray mustang, camaro or hellcat should they cross her path. Ah, the good life!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
139 Posts
My 2020 SP has been sitting since 11-04-2020 with 1206 miles on it. It will sit until the roads around here are clear of the winter gravel, most likely May-ish. The snow will be gone but that's about when the county comes around and sweeps the gravel off the paved roads that they plow.

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
185 Posts
My has been sitting since November 28th, but I go and start her up every couple weeks, can't do much with all the snow outside

Reactions: Jeffroeson

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Mine has been sitting since 12/1. At least a month to go before she comes back out to play.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Sits from about October to March up here. I do keep my toys warm! Lots of maintenance has been done, detailed and close inspections are done under the car. Clayed it yesterday and have begun the polish step now, wax to follow. All my different wheels will have their barrels cleaned even on the inside. It sits on battery chargers on and off throughout the period. Done this for two of them since 2015 now. They always fire right up. The starting every so often can be more harmful than letting them just sit. Just warming them up don’t really burn any moisture off or get things circulating well in the tranny or differential. Fuel preservatives? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Same with motorcycles up here. My favorite is nearly 20 years old now. Never, ever fire it up all winter. Never has failed to fire up and be happy. I agree with the above. When preservatives are added, they run like crap on the remaining gas. I don’t know if it makes a big difference or not.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker Widebody, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #33, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #155
162 Posts
I have a couple of 02' Firehawks that are basically garage queens. Since I have had them for 19. years here is what I have learned works for me. They are on battery tenders at all time, The battery's that are in them are over 10 years old and still work great. Also I keep Stabil in the fuel tanks at all times and of course, run the best gas I can find. I have never had a fuel related issue. I try to drive them 10+ miles at least once a month. Since they are not allowed out if it's wet (neither car has ever been rained on or driven on a wet street), if nothing else I make sure they are at least started and allow to come to normal operating temperature at least once a month when the weather precludes driving them (winter). I only use premium full synthetic oil and change it every 5-7 years. They are both autos and neither has ever had a trans fluid change (they both have only about 5 k miles on them and it still looks and smells brand new) but both will get it this Spring. Same goes for antifreeze, never changed it but am going to this Spring. These cars still look, run and even smell like brand new when you open the door after being covered up in the garage for a few weeks. I am sure there will be differing opinions but as I said, this has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
Since purchased (August 2011), every year the SRT8 sits in a storage facility from end of September to the end of April. I put about 2600-3500 miles on her per year. She is sleeping right now with about 28270+ miles (3000 on her new engine). She resides on a padded concrete floor (and slightly elevated to reduce stress on her limbs), a couple of (blankets) car covers to tuck her in and keep her "clean", a trickle charger on the original! (disconnected) battery, and octane boost, stabilizer and ethanol dryer in her full belly.

During the year, I take her out weekly, to stretch her legs and take in car shows. On occasion, I let her devour a stray mustang, camaro or hellcat should they cross her path. Ah, the good life!

My SRT 8 is a man sleeps outside all winter hook to chain, no dog house for SEVEN months, driven 2500 miles a year.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
Soon salt is gone, I drive it everywhere. We cruise alot in my state to Montana. Hell one cruise was over 200 miles !!!

Hence I own a cruiser, not a drag car..................

Owned going on 2 years and only 6K miles. Work was much father then the job now...................

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
484 Posts
Makes sense to me.

I have dogs (Akita's) that don't like to be kept out in the elements for seven months. Does the snow piling up that long keep everything "at an optimum level"?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hibernates all winter from mid-to late November depending on cold, to about 1st-2nd week of April. I’ve had it out at the end of March a couple of times as long as it’s dry and above 45 degrees. Our roads are full of salt all winter long. It takes a few good rain storms and all the shoulders of snow to melt to stop the salt run off.

Reactions: Jeffroeson
21 - 40 of 51 Posts