Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
Makes sense to me.

I have dogs (Akita's) that don't like to be kept out in the elements for seven months. Does the snow piling up that long keep everything "at an optimum level"?
UM, never owned a garage for my DD'S, Only cars in any structure are stuff that cannot be outside, like a kit car convert???

My SRT 8 has paint, it is ok. ALL cars lived outside when I grew up......................I am rich, just NOT that rich !! LOL

Reactions: Jeffroeson

·
Premium Member
Challenger RT 50th, HK, full double layer ceramic coating, full external debadged
40 Posts
How long do you let your car sit? I drove my last challenger in the road Salt snd it made my rims and paint look horrible. I have my current one as a second car. What's the longest you would leave one sit? At what point do you need to use fuel stabilizer? I often wonder if its better to just drive them as sitting might do more harm then good.
My 06 SRT sat easily for 6 months at a time for 6 yrs or so. When I sold her this year she had 52k on her

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
509 Posts
Well mine is gonna sit for about 3 months - but not by choice.

View attachment 1015312
I broke my left leg in two places and ankle in two places and my hip back in the 70s in a helicopter crash in the service when all I had was my 4-speed LS6 Chevelle. It took some time to master one foot driving but, thankfully, the old big block had enough torque and 4.56 gears to get rolling without gas. I actually got pretty good at it, but I'd hate to attempt it in heavy traffic. It did get me to the NCO club and to some close by local bars though. ;)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
broke my left leg in two places and ankle in two places and my hip back in the 70s in a helicopter crash in the service when all i had was my 4 speed ls6 chevelle. It took some time to master one foot driving but thankfully the old big block had enough torque and 456 gears to get rolling without gas. i actually got pretty good at it. but id hate to attempt in in heavy traffic. It did get me to the NCO club and to some close by local bars though;)
Hey a fellow helicopter crash survivor! Hah! And people think ya can't survive a 0-glide scope aircraft. I put a chopper down flying NOE (Cobra). Caught a round and it was enough for engine failure - immediately threw her into auto-rotation configuration but still hit hard enough to break my 5-point and slammed my right knee into the TSU (telescopic sighting unit) and crack my vertebrea in 5 places. It took over 6 hours for medi-vac to get to my chopper wreck - and by then I was short on rounds.

All that to say I too recovered through sheer determination to be able to slam the gears of my manual trans! Thanks to some of the best Vet docs and physical therapists, I am still able to walk ... and now these days ... I can hammer the 6-spd trans of my SRT8! Life is good!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
330 Posts
Being that my car is my daily driver and I live in Florida the most my car sits is maybe 2 days (and that is if i have nothing to do on my days off work and decide to just hang out at home)

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
509 Posts
Hey a fellow helicopter crash survivor! Hah! And people think ya can't survive a 0-glide scope aircraft. I put a chopper down flying NOE (Cobra). Caught a round and it was enough for engine failure - immediately threw her into auto-rotation configuration but still hit hard enough to break my 5-point and slammed my right knee into the TSU (telescopic sighting unit) and crack my vertebrea in 5 places. It took over 6 hours for medi-vac to get to my chopper wreck - and by then I was short on rounds.

All that to say I too recovered through sheer determination to be able to slam the gears of my manual trans! Thanks to some of the best Vet docs and physical therapists, I am still able to walk ... and now these days ... I can hammer the 6-spd trans of my SRT8! Life it good!
It was a Huey owned by the Columbian goverment. We weren't allowed American aircraft in the war on drugs at that time. So they would fly us into the fields. Shot down by AK47 fire. Pilot auto rotated and 3 of my fellow team came out with only minor cuts and scrapes, as did the co-pilot.

I was in the door on the side it hit on first. The impact broke my hip, ankle and leg. Weren't many high tech hospitals there so they flew me to the States. About 20 years later, I was going through major back problems and had 5 operations by the first surgeon and two from a younger sharper one. He walked in the room with me and the wife sitting there and asked me when I was in that crash did my back hurt. I said, you bet, but everything hurt for months. He said looking at my MRI, I had two healed fractured vertebrae in my back. He said they weren't so big so the X-rays of the day might not have caught them.

I was in the Coast Guard on a drug enforcement team at the time. Was told in the hospital I was done with that and couldn't re-enlist and that I would be discharged as soon as I was healed. Went to the navy chief (swimming type) that was in charge of us and he made some calls and I enlisted in the navy 6 months after the wreck and busted my chops to pass the physical tests.

Loved the navy but had a learning disabled son and moving him to different school systems wasn't good for him. My mother and sister were both special-ed teachers, so I got out at 8 years and spent the rest of my time as an electrical lineman. Still, to this day, I think back on that decision and think it was a mistake. Fortunately for me though, all the guys with guns headed for the hills when we crashed. It was rare they had the nuts to actually engage us.

SRT 8 has to be a bit boring after flying Cobras!!!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker Widebody, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #33, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #155
162 Posts
it was a huey owned by the Columbian goverment. We werent allowed american air craft in the war on drugs at that time. So they would fly us into to fields. Shot down by a ak47 fire. Pilot auto rotated and 3 of my fellow team came out with only minor cuts and scrape as did the co pilot. I was in the door on the side it hit on first. the impact broke my hip, ankle and leg. Wasnt much high tech hospital there so they flew me to the states. About 20 years later I was going threw major back problems. had 5 operations by the first surgeon and two from a younger sharper one. he walked in the room with me and the wife sitting there and asked me when i was in that crash did my back hurt. I said you bet but everything hurt for months. He said looking at my mri i had two healed fractured vertbre in my back. Said they werent so big the xrays of the day might not have caught them. I was in the coast guard on a drug enforcement team at the time. Was told in the hospital i was done with that and couldnt reenlist. that i would be discharged as soon as i was healed. Went to the navy chief (swimming type) that was in charge of us and he made some calls and i enlisted in the navy 6 months after the wreck and busted my chops to pass the physical tests. Loved the navy but had a learning disabled son and moving him to differnt school systems wasnt good for him and my mother and sister were both special ed teachers so i got out at 8 and spent the rest of my time as an electrical lineman. Still to this day think back on that decision and think it was a mistake. Fortunately for me though all the guys with guns headed for the hills when we crashed. It was rare they had the nuts to actually engage us. SRT 8 has to be a bit boring after flying cobras!!!
Thank you for your service. My wife's father was also Navy then an electrical lineman until he unfortunately passed away from brain cancer when she was only 14. She was a self professed "Daddy's girl" and has never really gotten over it.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I suspect it is rather rare for it to sit for more than 2 days - 3 at the most - without being driven. It is my DD. However, at Thanksgiving and Christmas we make 10 day trips to visit family that leave the R/T sitting idle.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
509 Posts
id like to thank anyone that served. be it in combat or even pealing potatoes at the chow hall. Be it in war or peacetime. Id especially like to thank the diabled vets. Not me but the ones that have real life changing injuries. They gave up a large part of there life so you can live free and buy muscle cars.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
did my time, 1988-2011

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man
41 - 51 of 51 Posts