Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not including labor, what is the next best thing I could bolt onto my SRT-8? Superchargers, headers, etc are way out of my range in terms of price, and I just don't want to deal with having to get the car tuned (VERY expensive here) and etc, I've been looking at throttle bodys and cams...but I'm pretty sure a cam would require a tune..I've done all the "basic" upgrades, anybody have an idea on the "next" thing to do performance wise? (Besides tires)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't have any experience at this stuff so this is most likely a dumb question but if you have a Predator why are you concerned about adding stuff that needs a tune? I thought that's what you used to put the tune in.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any experience at this stuff so this is most likely a dumb question but if you have a Predator why are you concerned about adding stuff that needs a tune? I thought that's what you used to put the tune in.
Because it has pre-set tunes..if your adding a cam change or supercharger, or anything drastic you HAVE to get it tuned correctly with someone who actually knows how to dyno\diagnos a vehicle, a tuner with pre-set tunes isn't going to do that, nor can you do it solely with the Predator, as far as I know.

And of course there is the issue of whenever you have to go back to the dealer..if you have a seriously modified engine (some dealers try to void ALL warranty with some mods) you can't even DRIVE the car with the stock flash without risking damage...I wouldn't want mine @ that stage when it's a daily driver.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Nitrous is a little over your budget, but very fun and cheap HP.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's been such a long time since I did any of that. Then you just got a harmonic ballancer with the marks for the timeing for the new cam and changed jets out in the carb untill you got it right.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Save...Save........Save............. you will appreciate it in the long run. Take the 3-400 you have now and tuck it away. A few of those and many more options will present themselves to you

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nitrous is a little over your budget, but very fun and cheap HP.
Yeah I just don't think nitrous fits into the way I use my vehicle...I'm not out at the track racing it, I'm just flooring it from redlights and around town, I can't see ANY benefit of nos unless I'm racing at the track, on the street it seems to be just a lil too risky.

I'd love to do a cam change just to get that "dun-dun-dun" old muscle car idle, but the labor costs 2x as much as the cam, then tuning...maybe I've hit a brick in my mods, I guess there is only so far you can go before it get's really expensive, I don't have the cash to get into really tearing apart the 6.1l because if issues do arise..I'd be screwed, so mods are at a limit I guess

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Then I would save for a head cam package.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Then you just got a harmonic ballancer with the marks for the timeing for the new cam and changed jets out in the carb untill you got it right.
Ahhh....the good ole' days! Before getting my Challenger, I was seriously considering another 71 cuda. Once in a while I just have to be reminded of the "joys" of owning a older car so I can appreciate how nice it is to own something without shifter bind, wind whistles, excessive body lean around corners and so on. BUT...NOTHING is sweeter than stares and the "cool" factor of driving an old muscle car.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Phenolic intake spacers! Your intake will not get as hot and they are proven. Go to stack performance web site. They are 100 bucks.

The Lx guys have been using them for years.

I loved them, easy install also, no tune needed.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
There's a good bit of hidden cost in a cam. If you have to rework the heads (springs, Push rods, Guides, etc) and a custom tune and a cam can easily run $1500.

I think a cam is best done with heads, as you may end up duplicating a lot of labor later. Believe me, I got this experience the hard way!

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
OP,,, you say you like the stop light to stop light action. ZEX kit is the way to go bro. Kick a$$ power. Its only when you arm it and go wot. Unlike the old kits of years past, the zex is set up for the challenger. I have run MANY spray passes. No issues. And if you get the purge solinoid with red l.e.d., with V spray. You get a cool factor everyone sees and the Wow factor in your butt dyno, when you go wot. And of course, anyone next to you at the stop light, gets to see your wow factor, view of your tail lights. lol lol
No tune issues, runs as normal, no reduced mpg, safe, big wow factor. IMHO
Boost is the best way to go. Its 5-8g my first choice, 2nd choice Zex for 600.
Good luck FlatTop

·
Registered
30 Posts
Electric cut outs.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Electric cutouts are far too expensive for me to enjoy them, I had a bunch of different brands on my FJ with a cutout and they always burned out in about 6-8 months (motor). Besides, I have Super 10's so it's plenty loud.

Pwr, why would I replace the under drive pulley?

And I like the NEX nos Idea...I'm just scared silly of nos as I'd be screwed if I ever blew my engine .

·
Registered
241 Posts
God I love teh ZEX idea myself but I am totally freaked out about it after reading so many NOS horror stories. Like him I can't image blowing an engine on a car with 10K miles....

Just how safe is it? I kinda wish I could find a high quality and trusted installer that could set me up and give me the confirdence I'm not going to ruin something.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Its alot diffrent than it used to be. A forum member, DodgeTony, used it with much sucess. Also the zex kit has active x control. Low fuel wont come on, low n20 wont come on. Stay safe with the 100hp jets. Start with the 75hp jets of course.
Also drop a step or 2 colder plugs. NGK is fine. dont need the zex plugs. Wast of money imo. You can arm the system and let it go wot on its own. You will have traction problems or dont arm it, and when you get WOT and rolling into 2nd hit the arming switch, and hang on. You will know it with your butt dyno for sure.
You already should have a preditor or trinity, i like trinity. Then you get so much more you can do making everything you do safer, by data loging Knk and be able to reduce timing, add fuel ect. Go to the zex site and read. 75hp kit is safe and made for the challenger. Most all horror stories are from so called (the good ol days)
Zex has a great easy to install kit. I sprayed 10 #10lb bottles over the race season, street and strip. I also look at the plugs every so often after a spray session. Plugs tell a big story. You can see, damage occuring, lean,rich,heat,ect.
With a 75hp shot i would not worry at all.
Good Luck FlatTop

Ps no dry kits, go Zex wet kit for the challenger

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Your best bet is definitely going to be to get a Predator and do a custom dyno tune. Should run $300 ish for the Predator, and roughly the same for the dyno tune. Atlanta is a big city with lots of tuner shops, I'm pretty sure you can find it for way less than you've found it so far. Keep shopping for a tuner shop.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The under drive pulley is a cheap mod that will yield good results for the dollar. Wasted money if you plan on a blower later.

It spins the accessories such as AC, Alternator, power steering pump, etc. slower which creates less parasitic hp loss. I have heard of 20-25 Hp increase which is nice if true. Don't have any real experience with this but from what I have read from end users is it's real.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts