Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2018 6.4 scat pack there is a hose in the bleeder screw port at the uppermost point on the front of the water pump. This hose goes down under the engine. When I recently replaced the radiator that plug/port is supposed to be used for bleeding the system. Dozens of youtube videos show the procedure. But mine has a hose in this location that goes back under the engine. A google search for cooling system diagram hasnt done any good. Whats the deal? Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
That feeds the oil filter housing cooler. Or maybe it’s the return line...point is coolant runs from lower radiator hose through filter housing and up through that hose back into the system

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Its impossible to see with the belly pans on
Next time you have the belly pan off look at the lower radiator hose running from radiator to water pump. You’ll notice it is a two piece hose (two separate hoses) with a plastic contraption in the middle. That plastic piece has a small nipple coming out of it that has a hose connected to feed the filter housing cooler unit. And then coming out of that filter housing is the hose that runs up to pump like what you are seeing.

I suppose the whole design is good enough to keep the oil cool and all, but I’ll tell you right now, that filter housing cooler is a huge impediment to replacing the alternator. What should have been an afternoon job spent replacing the alternator turned into a 4 day job for me. I invented curse words you wouldn’t believe were possible during that little endeavor!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next time you have the belly pan off look at the lower radiator hose running from radiator to water pump. You’ll notice it is a two piece hose (two separate hoses) with a plastic contraption in the middle. That plastic piece has a small nipple coming out of it that has a hose connected to feed the filter housing cooler unit. And then coming out of that filter housing is the hose that runs up to pump like what you are seeing.

I suppose the whole design is good enough to keep the oil cool and all, but I’ll tell you right now, that filter housing cooler is a huge impediment to replacing the alternator. What should have been an afternoon job spent replacing the alternator turned into a 4 day job for me. I invented curse words you wouldn’t believe were possible during that little endeavor!
Wow. That doesnt sound good. Hopefully i wont need to worry about it for a long time

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
658 Posts
Yep, that indeed goes to the oil cooler! Originally only for Charger Pursuits starting back in 2006 and generally called the Mopar Police Oil Cool (POC), it found its way onto the 392 Hemis in 2015 with the introduction of the LA platform. The POC is an oil-to-water (O2W) cooler that diverts some cooled coolant through a housing above the oil filter to draw heat away from the hot oil passing through.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that indeed goes to the oil cooler! Originally only for Charger Pursuits starting back in 2006 and generally called the Mopar Police Oil Cool (POC), it found its way onto the 392 Hemis in 2015 with the introduction of the LA platform. The POC is an oil-to-water (O2W) cooler that diverts some cooled coolant through a housing above the oil filter to draw heat away from the hot oil passing through.
Great info. Thank you for responding

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
what I've done is pull that hose from the water pump to allow the air to be purged while filling the cooling system via the reservoir tank.

once coolant starts to flow out that fitting, slip the hose back on and re-install the clamp.

then fill the coolant to the "full cold" line on the tank. after the engine has run a couple of cycles from cold to operating and sit long enough to cool down - adjust the coolant level as necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what I've done is pull that hose from the water pump to allow the air to be purged while filling the cooling system via the reservoir tank.

once coolant starts to flow out that fitting, slip the hose back on and re-install the clamp.

then fill the coolant to the "full cold" line on the tank. after the engine has run a couple of cycles from cold to operating and sit long enough to cool down - adjust the coolant level as necessary.
That is exactly what i did. I have good heat and the car fluctuates between 195 and 205 so I'm pretty sure its fully burped. Thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts