Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the change oil message today on the car with 5 months of 2,600 miles on her. Seems a little early since I run synthetic. Anyone else get this message early? The car only has 6,500 miles on it and this would be the 3rd oil change if I do it.

I guess I can just reset it, but why the warning so early?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Got the change oil message today on the car with 5 months of 2,600 miles on her. Seems a little early since I run synthetic. Anyone else get this message early? The car only has 6,500 miles on it and this would be the 3rd oil change if I do it.

I guess I can just reset it, but why the warning so early?
I don't think it knows you are running synthetic. Also, synthetic is good for 5-6k so I wouldn't change it. There is some kind of equipment that monitors the oil "life" but it's set up for standard/3000 mile oil changes. Sometimes the oil doesn't last 3000 miles. My guess...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe in the future, there will be a way to select your oil life monitor to regular or synthetic so it's a little more accurate. I'll go to 4,000 miles then change but at 2,600, I don't think so. I don't thrash her or beat on her, but then again, I don't baby her so maybe that's another factor why the message came on when it did.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Coincidently mine lit up the other day at 2500 miles. The book says oil changes at 5000 or 6 months. I figure the 6 month timer tripped the message. Car is a left over '10 built in Feb of last year.

On a side note I emptied the catch can last night. About 1/4 cup after 1000 miles. I've very happy with that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't about that 6 months stuff either.....I changed my oil on December 12th,
making the computer was off by 1 month.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know when mine was last reset if ever. Its been sitting on 2 different dealer lots till we took delivery back in Feb. Its my understanding that different driving styles effect when the change oil message comes up.

Personally, I don't care I change oil in all my vehicles every 5000 miles or twice a year which ever is first. When I change it I reset the message ("press pedal to the floor 3 times slowly" what a stupid method makes me feel like Dorothy).

The Challenger has to go back to the dealer for some warranty issues anyway so I'll get them to do the initial oil change. I will be providing the Mobil 1 0w40 for I don't trust them. Hopefully this will be the last time the dealer touches my car.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't know when mine was last reset if ever. Its been sitting on 2 different dealer lots till we took delivery back in Feb. Its my understanding that different driving styles effect when the change oil message comes up.

Personally, I don't care I change oil in all my vehicles every 5000 miles or twice a year which ever is first. When I change it I reset the message ("press pedal to the floor 3 times slowly" what a stupid method makes me feel like Dorothy).

The Challenger has to go back to the dealer for some warranty issues anyway so I'll get them to do the initial oil change. I will be providing the Mobil 1 0w40 for I don't trust them. Hopefully this will be the last time the dealer touches my car.
Don't be surprised if they refuse to use your oil...

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
It comes on about 500 miles before 3000 miles.just turn key on & depress gas pedal to floor 3 times within 10 seconds to turn off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
2010 requires 5w20 whatever.if you put 10w30 it could turn on ck engine light.they have very fine mesh screens on vvt/mds solonoids.just some info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts