Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called and said something was flapping from under the hood and when she got home this is what I saw. I'm on here alot and haven't heard any complaints about the stripping under the front of the hood ripping but it looks like all but the last couple of inches has slip and just goes every were. Anyone else having this. The cars only 10 months old.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

Vehicle door Blue Hood Automotive exterior Electric blue

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Mine lasted a little over 2 years before it started to flap in the wind while I was on my way to Walmart.

·
Registered
465 Posts
yikes, wtf!!!!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I remember reading a thread on this forum last year where a few members complained about this same issue.:( Mine, so far, has been good....[knock on wood]...but I can see how this flimsy part would not hold up. I'm hoping that Chrysler has beefed it up for the newer cars (MY11+) so that when the rest of us have to replace these subpar parts:disgust:, they will at least hold up for more than a couple of years.
Either that or we can just add these to the "rocker panel covers/headliner/door window trim" list.:fight:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
most of the time this happens because the hood is not adjusted right. (to tight) but i have seen some screw up on a hood that is adjusted perfect. It still is the same crap part on the 2011 years.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
no issues with this...yet

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
fit looks fine to me...and I like that front plate for some reason

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
My hood weather seal was cracking at 8 months old despite frequent application of Armor All. But here in Southern Arizona the sun eats up rubber very quickly. It is a pitifully thin excuse for a seal though. I replaced my own to avoid further damage from dealership monkeys. Not difficult if you can find the correct plastic rivets. I also found some tiny push (X-mas tree) rivets at Ace that I will use next time to make replacement easier.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Very flimsy part, mine had to be replaced about 8 months ago (09 RT), lasted about 1.5 yrs. Its covered under warranty, I believe the new ones are a bit sturdier. They cost $70 otherwise.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
mine just came off the same way 3 days ago ... will be going to the dealership .. cars only a year old

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i thought that rubber seem flimsy and do you have a gap that seems wider at the hood to front fascia at the center where the emblem is.
I just took a close look at mine and it does have a slightly larger gap at the nose. But what I also noticed was that this trim piece was "bulging" between the hood and the facia at the center area (approx. 2 ft across) compared with the areas near the fender where you can barely see it. I'm guessing that since there seems to be more "stress" on this area of the trim (on my car at least), this will be where it will break. As such, it appears that it's lifeline is extremely short.:disgust:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know it's not that big of a deal but just was wondering if it was normal. I don't think it should be but it seems to be more common than I thought. I've never had a new car that the weather stipping ripped on under warranty but I guess it's part of haveing a Challenger.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts