Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When ordering my 2018 R/T Scat Pack, the salesmen talked "hyper black wheels" during the order process (see attached), what I got was flat black (see attached) and I don't like them, doesn't provide any colour contrast. On arrival there was a Ooops...must have been confused as the Hyper Black are only available on the SRT and not for 2018 models. To factory order the hyper black rims are over $4,000 and the dealer isn't going to eat that, neither am I.

-There are repro hyper black available, but they are only 9" wide would my 275x40x20 safely fit on them? I have the dynamics package and the big Brembo's.

-There are repro Hellcat wheels available in black chrome, thoughts on how they would look?

-There is a local company who can "recoat" my wheels, (about $200/each) but they would need the exact colour codes and I think the hyper black are a base chrome and black two step process?

-Trading my wheels (with cash) on the secondary market won't really work as I am not in a major centre and shipping cost of my wheels to a buyer would cost as much as the sale of the wheels! Plus the Customs issues if sending to the USA.

-I haven't taken delivery yet, but as winter approaching it will be delivered with my winter tire setup.

Appreciate any input....Thanks!:canada:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
FWIW, most repros are cast, and very heavy.

I would think this situation out before just jumping on "the looks"

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Detroit Wheel does a black chrome but about the same price and probably not what you're looking for.

Best way out of this might be trying a wheel swap or selling yours and buying some take off Hyperblacks. I'd never get rid of an OEM forged wheel to run a repo wheel myself.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
FWIW, most repros are cast, and very heavy.

I would think this situation out before just jumping on "the looks"

And most times require a lot of weights to get close to being balanced properly. Just my 2cents, but whatever you decide to do, try to make your deal to keep OEM wheels on your car... :|

·
Registered
188 Posts
Take what you have and re-visit the wheel issue when it's time for new tires.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The Dynamics Package gets the matte black SRT 9.5 wheel that was used optionally on the '15 - '16 SRT models and was std on '15 - '16 'Cats. From '17 onward, the hyper black SRT wheel wasn't offered any longer.

What I'd look out for are take off Hyper-Black SRT wheels that may turn up (and they're 9.5"). Those are PVD finish, not plated (chroming over aluminum wheels isn't a good idea. plating doesn't hold up on aluminum)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had the dealer put my winter tire set up on (have to be on in 2 weeks anyway) and I will take the summers and go home. Could I write a cheque for $6k to the factory for OEM or $4k to re-seller...sure but I don't like Hyper Black that much and IMHO the salesmen screwed up so they should fix it. Ya right....

Maybe an aftermarket 9.5" will turn up or a trade...It's been a let down though, kind of like getting another tie for Christmas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just looked on the Dodge web site and the 2018 hyper black II wheels look to be flat black. It looks like there was a change. So I don't think your beef is with the dealer, your beef is with Dodge but as we all know "specifications subject to change without notice". My rule is if you see a car you like, buy it right friggin now before they change it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I had the dealer put my winter tire set up on (have to be on in 2 weeks anyway) and I will take the summers and go home. Could I write a cheque for $6k to the factory for OEM or $4k to re-seller...sure but I don't like Hyper Black that much and IMHO the salesmen screwed up so they should fix it. Ya right....

Maybe an aftermarket 9.5" will turn up or a trade...It's been a let down though, kind of like getting another tie for Christmas.
Side question-what winter tire and size did you go with?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've been looking for 2 more of these wheels and this is what I've found.

Mopar OEM 20"x9.5"+18.5 offset
Hyper Black Wheel
Product Code: 5LD38JXYAB

NEW
MSRP: $2,650.00
$1939.80 (factorychryslerparts.com)

RECONDITIONED
$967.44 (moparpartsgiant.com)
$900.00 (1800everyrim.com)(stockwheels.com)
$699.95 (hubcaphaven.com-Free Shipping)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts