Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to thank all of you 2011 owners as well as those of us that have the "old" cars for all your comments and information on our wheel hop issues. The fact is that we have the problem and have to deal with it as best we can. Tires are not the problem. The goodyears are just trying to hook up and the suspension can't handle the traction they are providing. The other tires that don't allow wheel hop are just a harder rubber compound and do not have enough traction to cause the hop. We can argue and discuss this problem forever but there is no need to. Dodge tried to satisfy two different kinds of owners. Those of us that are into the sports car type pf driving and those of us that are into straight line performance. They just missed on the latter. They should have offered an "old school" package that some of us old farts (I am 57) want which is the leaf spring / Sure Grip equipped Dana 60 differential with several different gear ratios. Then we all would be happy. Don't get me wrong, I love my '09 stick, just wish it was Dana equipped. Hope I didn't offend anyone and I am sorry if I did. I will just have to be happy with using a hop not kit and get over it. Thanks again for everyones input. MOPAR TO YA!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i changed my mind at the last minute and got an Automatic...im glad i dont have to think about this issue...sounds like WheelHop is common to all makes/models

i had a customer with a newer GTO who has the same problem

do Vettes have wheel hop issues?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Goodyear Tires are the problem...

Just wanted to thank all of you 2011 owners as well as those of us that have the "old" cars for all your comments and information on our wheel hop issues. The fact is that we have the problem and have to deal with it as best we can. Tires are not the problem. The goodyears are just trying to hook up and the suspension can't handle the traction they are providing. The other tires that don't allow wheel hop are just a harder rubber compound and do not have enough traction to cause the hop. We can argue and discuss this problem forever but there is no need to. Dodge tried to satisfy two different kinds of owners. Those of us that are into the sports car type pf driving and those of us that are into straight line performance. They just missed on the latter. They should have offered an "old school" package that some of us old farts (I am 57) want which is the leaf spring / Sure Grip equipped Dana 60 differential with several different gear ratios. Then we all would be happy. Don't get me wrong, I love my '09 stick, just wish it was Dana equipped. Hope I didn't offend anyone and I am sorry if I did. I will just have to be happy with using a hop not kit and get over it. Thanks again for everyones input. MOPAR TO YA!!!!!!

Nothing Final about it...Laughing, wheel hop with Goodyear tires have been on going since Ford used them on there 1979 5.0 Mustang's GM on the Corvetts. Your quote is little correct above: "The Goodyear's are just trying to hook up" Hence the tires are the problem, Not the car. They will hop till the compound hardens which doesn't take a whole lot of heat to do so. Anyone who's had a ZR1 knows even with a mono leaf spring car and plenty of HP you'll get a wheel hop till the Goodyears get hard...Also Goodyears are useless on wet pavement but most will know that as soon as they see there own tail lights in a curve on a rainy day...Goodyears are a notch up from recaps on wet pavement...Why buy a $1000 gun and then complain on spending $20 on good rounds? Flush the Goodyears on the 392 and then you'll get performance,safety and ride from the aftermarket tires. Now that can be final :sleep: #0465/1100

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nothing Final about it...Laughing, wheel hop with Goodyear tires have been on going since Ford used them on there 1979 5.0 Mustang's GM on the Corvetts. Your quote is little correct above: "The Goodyear's are just trying to hook up" Hence the tires are the problem, Not the car. They will hop till the compound hardens which doesn't take a whole lot of heat to do so. Anyone who's had a ZR1 knows even with a mono leaf spring car and plenty of HP you'll get a wheel hop till the Goodyears get hard...Also Goodyears are useless on wet pavement but most will know that as soon as they see there own tail lights in a curve on a rainy day...Goodyears are a notch up from recaps on wet pavement...Why buy a $1000 gun and then complain on spending $20 on good rounds? Flush the Goodyears on the 392 and then you'll get performance,safety and ride from the aftermarket tires. Now that can be final :sleep: #0465/1100
I have Goodyears RSA 295 40 20's on the rear of my IE and they don't hop at all. Now I will say you have to short shift the first two holes to keep the tires under it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hence the tires ... will hop till the compound hardens which doesn't take a whole lot of heat to do so...
I'm trying to understand this statement. Most tires become "sticky" or "stickier" when performing a burning (heating the tires); therefore giving them more traction.
Are you saying that this is "hardening" the tire? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
215 Posts
All tires will cause wheel hop if you don't have the RPM's up when you leave the line, you must have some wheel spin ( not too much not too little that is the secret ) to stop wheel hop ask the pros it's all about wheel speed. And a Hop Not kit helps, just like the old school traction bars do on leaf spring cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!!! The tires need to get SOFTER not harder. Anyway tired of trying to explain. Everyone do what ever makes you happy and I will keep my thoughts to myself. Sorry. MOPAR TO YA!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts