Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys havent been here for awhile n i was wondering how do i fix the rear wheel hop on mu 09 r/t 6-speed.love to turn those tires but hate the hopping!! im sure someone has come across this any help would be apprectiated

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Here's what I did and it worked for me!

sway bar link

Hop Not stage 2

complete Hop Not kit

the results....

See Hop Not in the vendor section. Say Daddy Kool sent ya and save some money.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
What/how does the sway bar link address in the hop behavior? I'm just curious what it is about?

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Daddy Kool,

I see you still have the old style adjustable sway bar link. Just let me know if you would like to have the new style - OEM based link and we'll get one heading your way at no charge.

randycat99, the adjustable link is designed to offset what's felt at the back wheels. Although a very minimal amount at 1/4", it works in the same way that the OEM axles are two different sizes. The link alone is not claimed to cure wheel hop. Our total kit for six speed Challengers includes the adjustable end link, our Stage 1 machined spacer plates, and our Stage 2 stabilizer kit.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
...so the sway bar link goes on just one side, so as to stagger the loading just a tad, which will assist in making any left-to-right-to-left reflection much less pronounced during a hop episode (biasing toward an energy dissipation rather than a build-up)?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what do ya'll mean by "wheel hop?"

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what do ya'll mean by "wheel hop?"
you must have an auto! :smokin:

the autos do not experience it...

go to Dodge Challenger Wheel Hop? Problem Solved! HopNot.net to see the problem first hand. it aint pretty and doesnt feel very good when it happens.

basically its when the rear end fights for traction, then sticks, then fights for traction, then sticks all in very quick succession making the IRS almost "bounce" making it feel like the rear end is going to rip out from under the car! thats the best way for me to describe it as its happened to me a few times.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

go to Dodge Challenger Wheel Hop? Problem Solved! HopNot.net to see the problem first hand. it aint pretty and doesnt feel very good when it happens.

basically its when the rear end fights for traction, then sticks, then fights for traction, then sticks all in very quick succession making the IRS almost "bounce" making it feel like the rear end is going to rip out from under the car! thats the best way for me to describe it as its happened to me a few times.
Thanks much and yes, I do have an auto. Wheel hop is definitely something I would want fixed.

·
Banned
351 Posts

wrong autos do experience wheel hop maybe not as bad as the 6 speeds but hops pretty good, mine it does'nt do it all the time but it does do it

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
wrong autos do experience wheel hop maybe not as bad as the 6 speeds but hops pretty good, mine it does'nt do it all the time but it does do it
i stand corrected! they do make the hopnot for autos too ya know...

·
Registered
25 Posts
What would you recommend for a 6 speed street car without breaking the bank?No plans on the drag strip or street racing just to mellow out the wheel hop for occational burn outs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dunno if I'm doing something right but I rarely it ever get wheel hop and on my second set of rears at 11k miles I'm no stranger to spinning tires. I got a 6spd is this just a problem in some and not all?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I have an auto, and I only experienced mild WH once, while doing something extremely out of the realm for my typical driving. There is no reason I would ever chance to encounter it again, unless I was specifically trying to make it happen.

That said, the auto's are, by far, free to do all kinds of burnouts w/o fear of WH, afaik. My rear tires are 255 wide all-season Toyo's, though. Maybe it is different for WH on the auto if you have dedicated summer use/dry performance rubber back there?

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Can anyone explain why the Autos dont have the problem over 6spd? Are the rear ends, shocks, ect different? Just curious, Also does turning Trackion control fully off fix wheel hop at all?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
My theory (which is a composition of other people's theories, of course) is it is just a perk of the fluid coupling in the drivetrain of the automatic that softens the high-frequency components of shock loads in hard launches just enough to prevent the oscillation from emerging.

The direct mechanical link of the classic manual gearbox has a lot of things working against it, in this respect. The direct mechanical connection makes it especially hard to dissipate HF shock loads by virtue of being a direct link. That sharp peak of energy has nowhere to go, except bounce around in the drivetrain, until it manifests in the rear suspension bouncing up and down (which unfortunately affects traction and exacerbates the issue further). When combined with high-traction tires, and then combined with low profile construction (for further enhanced sidewall rigidity) on top of that, it just magnifies that "direct mechanical link" effect, to the point where the threshold is like a powder keg just waiting to be set off. Everything is honed for peak responsiveness, that it becomes impossible to dissipate that HF shock anywhere before it wreaks havoc somewhere. The system is "too sensitive" to high-frequency signals for its own good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts