Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I’m new to this forum. I recently bought a new challenger scat pack with 20 inch rims. For peace of mind, I wanted to install wheel locks. Any recommendations?Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,920 Posts
One of the most secure wheel locks are made by Gorilla. They have spinning sleeves, which makes it virtually impossible to remove them without the key. I have them on my 2009 SRT to protect my expensive forged Alcoa wheels.

Also, for maximum security, I would install two per wheel (opposite each other). Thieves actually prefer a single wheel lock per wheel- one less nut to remove. They simply raise your car and then spin the tire until the wheel lock is on top. Then they drop the car and the bolt breaks off. This doesn't work with two wheel locks (see photo).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-61641/overview/

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,930 Posts
One of the most secure wheel locks are made by Gorilla. They have spinning sleeves, which makes it virtually impossible to remove them without the key. I have them on my 2009 SRT to protect my expensive forged Alcoa wheels.

Also, for maximum security, I would install two per wheel (opposite each other). Thieves actually prefer a single wheel lock per wheel- one less nut to remove. They simply raise your car and then spin the tire until the wheel lock is on top. Then they drop the car and the bolt breaks off. This doesn't work with two wheel locks (see photo).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-61641/overview/
the system is very good every nut is a locking nut

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/ste...nuts-14x1.5-acorn-system-71643nbc?parent=1018

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I have the Gorilla locking lug set, every lug is a lock

015.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
94 Posts
McGard or mopar the McGard will be a lot cheaper than mopar and i think McGard either still makes them for mopar or use too? i am sure someone on here will some this up.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,294 Posts
Gorilla #96643bdx.
Every lug is a lock.
With the deep lug recess on dodge wheels, near impossible to get off all 5 without totally destroying the wheel.
If you go with a single locker lug and 4 regular nuts as people sometimes do, theives can remove the 4 normal lugs, jack the car up high, hit the 1 remaing locker lug with freeze off or similar agent and drop the car on the ground, sheering off the remaing (locked) lug with almost no damage to the rim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get something from Gorilla, they have various options. Just make sure you replace all of the 2-peice OEM lug nuts. They're 100% garbage and the outer decorative cap swells over time and eventually you can't get a socket on them anymore and then you really have a problem. You can try to go up a socket size to get them off, but then you run a real risk of rounding off the actual lug beneath the cap. After experiencing this on my Charger, the first 'mod' I did to my wife's brand new Challenger was replace her lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Gorilla locks, specifically the ones with the spinning ring mentioned before. The whole point of the locks is to make the bad guys go look for an easier target.

And, in reality, pretty much any of the Gorilla locks are easy to defeat. I won't post in public how and no it doesn't involve a lock remover kit.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,184 Posts
I had the McGard Mopar, the best out there, issue was was cheaper to have INSURANCE then ugly locks on there.

The locks back then (2014) stuck out too far for my brain- yes they are the hardest to remove kind.

Went stock lugs then switched to all black McGard nuts 64074.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts
My thought is that an opportunity thief will give up quickly. A professional with all the skills will give up because it's all about get in and get out. There are plenty of cars with no locks, or one lock per wheel. As the saying goes, “You don’t have to run faster than the bear to get away. You just have to run faster than the guy next to you.”.

A Guy

·
Registered
59 Posts
After having the experience of finding my baby up on blocks with the OEM lugs stacked neatly at each corner, I went with the Gorilla X2 system of spinning locks. I maxed out each wheel so the next thief will move on to the next target rather than mess with my car. I strongly recommend Gorilla X2s and don’t forget to order extra sockets!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts