Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker in B5 Blue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I started to notice this weird noise coming from my left rear wheel. I thought it might have been the brake rotors so I took off the wheel and cleaned the rotors and calipers. It keeps happening at low speeds. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I started to notice this weird noise coming from my left rear wheel. I thought it might have been the brake rotors so I took off the wheel and cleaned the rotors and calipers. It keeps happening at low speeds. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Hi @JayyFerrer - We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
DodgeCares

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting noise...haven't heard that before. But it seems to make the squeak when you accelerate, as well as well when you let off the gas. I'm not sure what that means to be honest, but perhaps related to the weight shift associated with accel/decel it; i.e. something in the suspension. Does it make the noise if you sharply push on the trunk or hood of the car from the outside?

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,026 Posts
Almost sounds (to me) like a metal-on-metal noise. Have you looked to see if any exhaust components are rubbing the car or a heat shield, or if perhaps a rubber exhaust hanger is to blame?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sounds like a kids squeaky merry-go-round...definitely sounds like something dry and rusty, it actually does sound like a loose exhaust swinging, maybe a hanger? you’ll have go under there a start yanking on things to replicate it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CV boot OK? Look for any grease thrown around the inside of the wheel...and welcome!
There wasn't anything on the inside of the wheel. I thought it might have been the brake rotor so I replaced that but no luck. And thank you!

Almost sounds (to me) like a metal-on-metal noise. Have you looked to see if any exhaust components are rubbing the car or a heat shield, or if perhaps a rubber exhaust hanger is to blame?
It does actually sound like that. Weirdly enough it mainly happens when I accelerate. I tried putting in neutral and pressed the gas but I heard nothing.

Sounds like a kids squeaky merry-go-round...definitely sounds like something dry and rusty, it actually does sound like a loose exhaust swinging, maybe a hanger? you’ll have go under there a start yanking on things to replicate it
I was closing the metal gate at my job the other day and I thought it was my car making the noise but it was the gate. So it definitely has to be two metal parts rubbing. Finding it is the issue.

Interesting noise...haven't heard that before. But it seems to make the squeak when you accelerate, as well as well when you let off the gas. I'm not sure what that means to be honest, but perhaps related to the weight shift associated with accel/decel it; i.e. something in the suspension. Does it make the noise if you sharply push on the trunk or hood of the car from the outside?
It does not do it when I push down the car. I replaced the brake rotor thinking that might be the trick but it did not. I threw it into neutral and pressed the gas but it did not make the noise either.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
With the wheel still attatched to the car, lift the vehicle and attempt to shake the wheel from top to bottom, or side to side

When the balljoints lose all of their grease it can make squeeking noises when articulating

Sure sounds like ball joints or double check the tension struts in the rear (arms that travel from the hub back)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is making the same noise can't figure out what is causing it.
I found out it was actually the noise coming from the active exhaust valve being loose. On slow accelerations it flaps open rather than staying closed. That's why at speed you do not here it because it is completely open or getting enough exhaust to stay open.

I found out that it was the active exhaust valve. When I would accelerate from a stop or near stopped, the valve would swing open and closed because it could not stay closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts