Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I read the specs right, the ENVY wheels that came on my 2013 R/T classic are 20" x 8", 5 x 115mm bolt patterns and have a 24mm offset.

If I'm looking at an after-market wheel that's 20" x 9", 5 x 115mm bolt pattern with a 38mm offset. My hand-dandy wheel-offset calculator tells me that the new wheel has 27mm less inner clearance.

Assuming this is correct, do I simply add a 27mm spacer to achieve my original inner clearance?

Also, the information that I read shows that my Goodyear Eagle Sport 245-45R20, currently mounted on the OEM 20X8's should fit on 20x9's.

Anything in my information look out of whack?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at a more comprehensive list of options for the wheel I'm interested in, and found a 20 x 9 with 20mm offset (instead of 38mm). When I punch this into the calculator, I says I'll have 4mm MORE clearance on the back-side than my OEM 20 x 8 with 24mm offset. No spacer.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I found a particular wheel that I'm interested in that's not offered in the same 24mm offset as my original 20X8 ET24 OEM wheels. Only offered in 20x8 ET0 offset. Plugging into my handy dandy wheel offset calculator shows that this moves the tire/wheel 24mm further away from my brakes/suspension. Vendor says no issues with wheel-well clearance.

Anybody have any thing to chime in on with a wheel that sticks out an inch further than stock? Any suspension/alignment issues? Should I consider this, or pick a wheel that more closely matches stock parameters.

Not that it matters but this is a flat-black rally style wheel that would make a nice retro look to my car.
AMERICAN RACING® - VN506 Satin Black.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So I found a particular wheel that I'm interested in that's not offered in the same 24mm offset as my original 20X8 ET24 OEM wheels. Only offered in 20x8 ET0 offset. Plugging into my handy dandy wheel offset calculator shows that this moves the tire/wheel 24mm further away from my brakes/suspension. Vendor says no issues with wheel-well clearance.

Anybody have any thing to chime in on with a wheel that sticks out an inch further than stock? Any suspension/alignment issues? Should I consider this, or pick a wheel that more closely matches stock parameters.

Not that it matters but this is a flat-black rally style wheel that would make a nice retro look to my car.
AMERICAN RACING® - VN506 Satin Black.
Typically when one looks at changing offset it's to satisfy a wider tire width, as that's what protrudes out the farthest. Apparently not your case, at all.
Also, generally spacers are not recommended, especially if of an appreciable thickness, and are a higher concern on the front wheels, where the thickness is typically limited to a smaller thickness.
In addition to spacers having some possible inherent potential problems, which may or not always be the case, they do position the wheel/tire assembly further out from the bearings, etc. This subjects those components to more loads and stresses then what they may have been designed for. Now although a lesser offset may be better then using spacers, it does affect the bearing loads in the same manner. Because of this fact, I would tend not to reduce the +offset by such a large amount.
Personally, I probably would consider the 20mm offset but a zero offset would really be pushing it in my opinion. But I'm by far NOT an expert on the subject. And neither is your local tire guy or car dealer.

EDIT: BTW...have you looked at where that added inch would bring the tire relative to the fender. You wouldn't want it to stick out beyond the fender.

Are you sure those wheels will even fit on a Challenger? The bore dia. looks too small.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typically when one looks at changing offset it's to satisfy a wider tire width, as that's what protrudes out the farthest. Apparently not your case, at all.
Also, generally spacers are not recommended, especially if of an appreciable thickness, and are a higher concern on the front wheels, where the thickness is typically limited to a smaller thickness.
In addition to spacers having some possible inherent potential problems, which may or not always be the case, they do position the wheel/tire assembly further out from the bearings, etc. This subjects those components to more loads and stresses then what they may have been designed for. Now although a lesser offset may be better then using spacers, it does affect the bearing loads in the same manner. Because of this fact, I would tend not to reduce the +offset by such a large amount.
Personally, I probably would consider the 20mm offset but a zero offset would really be pushing it in my opinion. But I'm by far NOT an expert on the subject. And neither is your local tire guy or car dealer.

EDIT: BTW...have you looked at where that added inch would bring the tire relative to the fender. You wouldn't want it to stick out beyond the fender.

Are you sure those wheels will even fit on a Challenger? The bore dia. looks too small.
The manufacturer confirmed and guaranteed fitment, but between your assessment, (and other guidance I've read", I'm going to avoid the zero offset. I'm going to continue to look for a wheel that's closer to my original (maybe go 8.5 or 9.0 wide witht the appropriate offset for clearance).
Turns out the center hub on this wheel is not available in black (And I have a pathological aversion to all things chrome), so the retro-rally wheel look won't work with this wheel).

I've pinged U.S. Mags to see if their slotted mag can be made with a black finish (instead of polished). I'd really like to put a 70's style wheel (other than a Cragar SS -ish clone) in black, my black car.

If I can't find anything retro-styled to my liking, without spending $1000 apiece on a custom wheel, I'll probably go with the Milani Kapri 9012.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
This are 20"x9" 25.5mm offset 245/45 Scat Pack wheels and tires on a GT that comes with 19"x7.5" 55mm offset 235/55 tires. They stick out a good bit but don't hit or rub at all I am using them on my GT in the warmer months and the stock GT all season tires in the winter.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts