Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know it is coming really soon that I am going to buy rims, and tires for the track. I know the smaller rim is going to give me larger gear, but do you go with a 17" or an 18" rim, and why? Just want to make sure I only have to do this one time. Thanks in advance....

Maybe someone can tell me what's best for my specific application. Nothing else is changing in my car. No gears, converter or anything. Just the S/C.

·
Banned
664 Posts
The rim has nothing to do with your final gear ratio. It is the overall diameter of the tire that will vary it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rim has nothing to do with your final gear ratio. It is the overall diameter of the tire that will vary it.
I understand that, but are you better off using an 18" rim with a thinner sidewall or a 17" with a thicker sidewall to achieve a specific diameter. I am sure one way may aide in traction more than the other. Of course a smaller rim is also capable of a smaller diameter tire too depending on what I need.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smaller rim and bigger tire. you want as much sidewall as you can get

Thanks GSO. I will go with a 17 then I guess. What do you suggest for my car?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
dito smaller whell bigger tire, tony got small tires that changes his gear ratio get 28" tires like I told him, thats why his mph is so low

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
you want a 10" wide wheel also not a 9"

5,134 Posts
2003-4 Mustang Cobra wheels 17x9 5x4.5 lugs

For my power level, this is what I use. I also use a smaller 26" tire (M/T ET Street 275/40/17), which not only helps my gear, it makes for a nice lightweight combination.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
the srt don't need any help with the gear especialy if you have a blower

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels

I agree don't go cheap with a 40,000.00 car and your safety. Get a wheel that fits the bolt pattern. Welds are 483.00 with 115mm bolt pattern. You snap a couple lugs at 100 MPH + you and your car aren't worth a 200.00 savings. We have enough guys short cutting safety for dollars on the track now.
what ! don't buy that junk! don't you remember dans car.
buy some welds or bogarts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Spend the money on wheels meant for the track. Lighter rotating mass is better. Also check the rule book. Depending on how fast you expect to go, you may have to use long studs and open end shank style lug nuts that protrude almost through the wheel. Nearly ALL wheels OE and aftermarket use a 60 degree tapered seat and are NOT allowed on the tack if you go fast enough.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
What happen to Dans car? There are quite a few of us running the mustang wheels.
the wheel got stuck on the hub and would'nt come off we had to strap it to the truck and pound it off with a rock cause no one had a big hammer and it was pouring rain

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
A bunch of the LX guys that are serious racers run the Cobra wheels. What's the problem? Hadn't heard of any issues when I poked around over there on them getting stuck.

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
By the way, desant. I ran 18" Charger wheels with NT555R's this weekend and they were fine. Couldn't speak to vs a 17" wheel, but they fit perfect with a 305/45R18...

HemiSam

1 - 20 of 126 Posts