Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably a basic question, but as a former LEO and current trauma RN (seen my share of deadly home accidents), I am paranoid about working under my car when its lifted, on stands whatever.....I was going to purchase some wheel ramps to drive up on to allow me to get to my CDV and remove it......any thoughts or experiences on these ramps? Thank you in advance my friends!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Smart thinking. I'm always nervous under jack stands, though I've used them a lot. I always place something strategically to catch the car in the event a stand fails. Never has, but gives me one less thing to worry about as I fuss around under the car.

Personally, I bit the bullet and bought Race Ramps; the 67" two piece (Race Ramps website for 67"

Many use the less expensive brands, but these are tremendously strong and easy to move around.

With my car slightly lowered with Mopar Stage 1 Springs, the front spoiler just barely brushes the ramp; at stock, shouldn't be a problem.

I like the two piece because it allows me to remove the ramp for easier access underneath. With my sidepipes, I need to raise the car up on the ramps in order to get a floor jack underneath the front jackpoint.

·
Registered
453 Posts
What he^ said X2

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smart thinking. I'm always nervous under jack stands, though I've used them a lot. I always place something strategically to catch the car in the event a stand fails. Never has, but gives me one less thing to worry about as I fuss around under the car.

Personally, I bit the bullet and bought Race Ramps; the 67" two piece (Race Ramps website for 67"

Many use the less expensive brands, but these are tremendously strong and easy to move around.

With my car slightly lowered with Mopar Stage 1 Springs, the front spoiler just barely brushes the ramp; at stock, shouldn't be a problem.

I like the two piece because it allows me to remove the ramp for easier access underneath. With my sidepipes, I need to raise the car up on the ramps in order to get a floor jack underneath the front jackpoint.
Thanks man! Looking them up now!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Before I got my lift I had 4 steel wheels without tires on them and when I jacked the car up to work under it I would put them under the cars tires. I would also 18" squares of marine plywood to build up the height when needed very stable and the car won't roll off sitting in the rims.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I got my lift I had 4 steel wheels without tires on them and when I jacked the car up to work under it I would put them under the cars tires. I would also 18" squares of marine plywood to build up the height when needed very stable and the car won't roll off sitting in the rims.
I was thinking about something like that as well. I went ahead and ordered those ramps (shhhh don't tell my wife!). Thanks for responding!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Agreed - pay the money for the two piece Race Ramps. Worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I bought the 67" 2 piece Race Ramps and they are great. I still put jack stands under the car also when I am working underneath it. Remember as with guns - two is one and one is none.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,457 Posts
I built my own: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AMLc1gQJdUDXTmg&v=photos&id=1E7AD039B9F2BE81!124915&cid=1E7AD039B9F2BE81

Yes, they're uglier'n a sack full of buttholes, but all I had at the time was a sawz-all to cut the wood, so trying to make a straight, angled cut with only a reciprocating saw will tend to look ugly like that. They work just fine though!
I like your style. I bought a pair of cheap Harbor Freight :eyemouth: steel ramps, and then modified them so I could get my Shake off the ground.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
494 Posts
I built my own out 2 x 12's stacked 4 high, gives me plenty of room to get underneath and no worries about a car falling off the stands. total cost for materials was $40

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't like the extra room required to store the ramps and have seen some skid/slip and people damage their cars by driving off of them.

I've been using a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands ever since I pulled a 75 Catalina down off of a bumper jack (on a gravel driveway) and was pinned underneath while I suffocated for a terrifying 60 seconds (nearly 30 years ago).

When I'm under my Challenger (which is normally only for oil changes), I use my low-profile jack to lift. Place two jack stands (AND my larger hydraulic jack (that I use on my truck). One for lift, 3-more to be sure.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
I like your style. I bought a pair of cheap Harbor Freight
steel ramps, and then modified them so I could get my Shake off the ground.
I had a set of those same steel ramps originally but couldn’t get them to work with my last Challenger, the front air dam would hit the ramps and push them forward before the tire could get to them. That was part of why I decided to build my own - I couldn’t get any regular ramps available around here to work very well.

How on earth did you modify them to get them to work?

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,457 Posts
I had a set of those same steel ramps originally but couldn’t get them to work with my last Challenger, the front air dam would hit the ramps and push them forward before the tire could get to them. That was part of why I decided to build my own - I couldn’t get any regular ramps available around here to work very well.

How on earth did you modify them to get them to work?
With hard wood and bolts. Once my Shaker is on them, I can remove the wooden ramps I added for more room underneath. The large bolts I used only function as pins to go in the holes in the steel ramps so the wooden ramps can be lifted off once the vehicle is on top.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I have successfully used jack stands for many, many years. I bought some 'made in U.S.A.' ramps a few years ago and like them a lot. I use the ramps now for oil changes. You still need to use a jack and jack stands if you want to remove wheels.

Using jack stands or ramps, like any tool, you must use them properly and take necessary precautions for safety sake. I don't have any fears while crawling under my car because I know it is properly supported and cannot fall on me.

Personally, I wouldn't use the cheap stamped-steel ramps for fear that they might bend out of shape or snap the weld on the support strut and flatten. Spend the dough for some quality ramps (or jack stands). I know my life is worth the extra dough for top-quality ramps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have successfully used jack stands for many, many years. I bought some 'made in U.S.A.' ramps a few years ago and like them a lot. I use the ramps now for oil changes. You still need to use a jack and jack stands if you want to remove wheels.

Using jack stands or ramps, like any tool, you must use them properly and take necessary precautions for safety sake. I don't have any fears while crawling under my car because I know it is properly supported and cannot fall on me.

Personally, I wouldn't use the cheap stamped-steel ramps for fear that they might bend out of shape or snap the weld on the support strut and flatten. Spend the dough for some quality ramps (or jack stands). I know my life is worth the extra dough for top-quality ramps.
I ended up going with the Brute Industries 2 piece ramps. I think they'll do the trick, but I will always be thinking of how to add some safety back up in case.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Little later :)
HF rhino ramps and a couple of 2x4's to get her up. that's how i change my oil, this is at stock factory height, i wouldn't be able to get her on the ramps if the car was lowered like this, but i'd imagine a little creativity to give her more clearance on it's way up with soemthing else will be needed if that was the case.

Untitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Little later :)
HF rhino ramps and a couple of 2x4's to get her up. that's how i change my oil, this is at stock factory height, i wouldn't be able to get her on the ramps if the car was lowered like this, but i'd imagine a little creativity to give her more clearance on it's way up with soemthing else will be needed if that was the case.

Untitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr
Okay, i’ll Allow some points for avoiding an overly complex jerry-rigged solution, BUT you are boned if you decide to put some screws or nails into those boards one day and then abscent-mindedly use them the next day with your ramps.

BLAMMO!! Two flat tires!

So in light of that, I’m subtracting the extra points I allotted earlier plus a few more for trying to trick me!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts