Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bunch of microfiber towels I've been using. I take good care of them, properly washed and stored, not dropped, etc. They're getting close to a year old now and used frequently. Still seem to clean and pickup OK and all that. No holes or tears. So...what's the typical lifespan for a towel? If they're not giving any problems are they still good or am I courting trouble? If they get stained or something I move them to wheel/engine duty but if they still look good I use them for the body.

When do you replace your microfibers? BTW, these are not high-end brands, just typical Walmart stuff.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well I don’t use Walmart stuff but my higher end stuff (Adam’s Polishes) I toss after they start leaving fuzz (parts of the cloth) behind on the car. That is time span dependent but it ranges from a year to less depending on if it’s a wax remover, glass cleaner or other products.

Also if they stop picking up material as you mentioned but none of mine have yet to do that (after 4 years of service), though some towels have been cycled out.

I bring in new towels for critical tasks like waxing and take the olds as wheel cleaners or under hood cleaners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they're still working well, no leavings or anything. That sounds like a good warning sign.

·
Super Moderator
13,470 Posts
I wash my microfiber towels in cold water Woolite and let them air dry. They are still good after 8 years.

Never put them in a clothes dryer. It will ruin the fiber loops.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,603 Posts
I have expensive towels that are all that can touch the paint, and less expensive ones that have their own tasks. Yellow for glass, green for interior, black for exhaust tips and jams and such. I have a bunch of blue ones that are general cleaning until they start looking dirty. I wash with MF detergent. My expensive towels are still looking perfect after several years.

If you are using to remove wax and such, I'd only use them until they seem to be getting worn, or show signs of any stiffness, then demote them to other, non paint, tasks.

A Guy

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
just me, but i rotate mine thru...new ones I use for the exterior wax/polish/interior..when they get too old or dirty/stained after washing..Ill set them aside and use them for rims/tires/lower belting.l astly they will be used for oil changes, dirty/greasy work..then tossed. I dont ever get a year out of any of them, but then again I have a rather high number of cars to keep clean..lol

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
All my microfiber towels are high end and of different nap thickness for different tasks. I maintain 4 vehicles and a big expensive John Deere. Non of my towels have stains, stains would come from dirty paint or a dirty surface which your MF towels aren't for. Pinnacle
MF cleaner for washing them and if drying them on low heat, but just air dry is best. No towel drying your car, dry with a leaf blower then no swirls. Power wash then Use a CarPro sheep hair mit to wash your car coupled with PH neutral soap as the lube = no scratch. Keeping a good coat of your favorite sealer on your paint then the blow dry takes 3 to 5 minutes for a water spot scratch/swirl free finish. My MF towels still look new after 8 plus yrs.
Good washing techniques and keeping the paint slick as glass is the way to perfect paint shine. Pinnacle fine clay bar once every 4 to 6 months before your next fresh coat of paint sealant. All things in order and you will be amazed at how good your vehicle will still look after spending 10 yrs outside 24/7. It will still look showroom!!!
Interior detail tip:
Put a new cotton foot sock on your hand, apply your coating on that for pin point accuracy while wiping your dash and interior will keep the protectant where you want it in all crevasses and not on the glass windows. Also makes the job 10x faster with a better job than a towel. MF on all radio screens and gauges, lite pressure only no chemicals, only water.
Have fun and enjoy the beauty of the Challenger!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I do all the proper microfiber washing and drying techniques, use clear detergent, air dry only, rotate stained towels to dirtier duties, all that stuff. This is my return to detailing world. Last time I went into this area was over 30 years ago and plush cotton towels were the big thing! Being retired with mucho free time I decided to get back into detailing. Perfect timing as I decided to get a muscle car a few months after that. lol

I'm pretty OCD and my cars look great. My Ford Escape is a 2009 and sits outside 24x7. It still gleams, puts some friend's new cars to shame. The salesman commented on my 2013 Subaru trade-in when I got the Challenger. Being as I am, I had to wonder if I was overusing the microfibers. Sounds like a year or more isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wash my microfiber towels in cold water Woolite and let them air dry. They are still good after 8 years.

Never put them in a clothes dryer. It will ruin the fiber loops.

How about putting them in a dryer but on "air only" dry? No heat

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have expensive towels that are all that can touch the paint, and less expensive ones that have their own tasks. Yellow for glass, green for interior, black for exhaust tips and jams and such. I have a bunch of blue ones that are general cleaning until they start looking dirty. I wash with MF detergent. My expensive towels are still looking perfect after several years.

If you are using to remove wax and such, I'd only use them until they seem to be getting worn, or show signs of any stiffness, then demote them to other, non paint, tasks.

A Guy
Very similar to what I do. I purchased about 50 assorted Microfiber towels from Chemical Guys about 3 years ago and have probably about 20 new still in a bag. When they get old or stained I just use them as oil rags and to clean my Mountain bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always get little dried leaf remnants stuck to my towels (Seattle I guess?) so mine don't last long. I buy nice towels but they just never seem to wash well so I go through em pretty quick.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I always get little dried leaf remnants stuck to my towels (Seattle I guess?) so mine don't last long. I buy nice towels but they just never seem to wash well so I go through em pretty quick.
Everyone has a different definition of nice towels but I have had some that have been washed more than 40 times with with no issues. I have used lots of different microfiber specific detergent and the Chemical Guys one seems to be best. The Wolfgang is also very good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts