Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, longtime lurker here.

I bought my first Challenger about 6 months ago, a 2018 R/T with about 55k on it.
I got a great deal (around 20K after taxes). I went in knowing that I wanted to trade in and buy a new one in about a year when the time was right.
So, with the economy tanking and interest rates super low, I figure we may be approaching the right time.

So, I've got a couple questions.

1st, when does Dodge usually have the best deals? I'm not in any hurry, I just want the best deal.
I don't care if its a 2020, a 2019, or even waiting for the 2021. Whatever is the best price/financing. I've got great credit, so I should qualify for the best rate they offer.

2nd, I would like some critiques on my build. I don't have a specific budget number, but the lower the better and not more than $50k.
It will be my primary car all year round rain or shine (mostly rain, I live in the Seattle area), but I also plan on taking it out on the track from time to time.

The goal is for it to be as comfortable as possible for daily driving without sacrificing much for performance.

Here is the config I built: Build & Price a 2019 Dodge Challenger today! | Dodge

The main things I'm going back and forth on is the Shaker vs 1320 and widebody vs regular. I love the look of the shaker, but haven't driven either version. I like the idea of the widebody, but Im worried about parking it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick edit, that config accidentally had rear seat delete. I intend to keep the rear seat.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
503 Posts
....So, with the economy tanking and interest rates super low, I figure we may be approaching the right time.
You let me know when you get that right time figured out. ;) I was ready to buy in mid-March, but then it all went pear shaped. Do I stay on with the $10/horsepower deal, or do I hope they have a better deal come May - given the current economy?

... I live in the Seattle area), but I also plan on taking it out on the track from time to time.
...Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Don't be afraid to look out-of-state. I had a really positive buying experience with Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho for a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few months ago (I am in NW Oregon). I have been talking to them about doing a special order on a Scat Pack. Flat rate pricing - no screwing around with head games. And before you think 'why would I go to Idaho'....they are one of (if not 'the') largest dealer in the nation....yeah, in Kellogg, ID. Talked to the sales rep last week. They are staying busy because where other dealerships cannot get inventory with the factories closed, they have a lot of cars in stock.

HTH!
-Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You let me know when you get that right time figured out. ;) I was ready to buy in mid-March, but then it all went pear shaped. Do I stay on with the $10/horsepower deal, or do I hope they have a better deal come May - given the current economy?

Don't be afraid to look out-of-state. I had a really positive buying experience with Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho for a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few months ago (I am in NW Oregon). I have been talking to them about doing a special order on a Scat Pack. Flat rate pricing - no screwing around with head games. And before you think 'why would I go to Idaho'....they are one of (if not 'the') largest dealer in the nation....yeah, in Kellogg, ID. Talked to the sales rep last week. They are staying busy because where other dealerships cannot get inventory with the factories closed, they have a lot of cars in stock.

HTH!
-Eric

Dave Smith is great! From an economic perspective, I figure the best deals will probably be sometime after the factories open back up, and after the initial rush of people who have been waiting to buy during quarentine. So, gut feeling, late May at the absolute earliest, but probably June or July.

·
Super Moderator
16,317 Posts
the Power Dollars promotion is going on for 2020 models - so that will shave off $4,850 on an Scat Pack model.

The 0% interest rate promotion is N/A on Challengers

I'd say as a daily driver with very occasional track use - I wouldn't get the 1320 Edition. It comes with drag radials and those won't last long on a daily driver - so not really worth it.

-for someone that did track use regularly then the 1320's features are more relevant

The wide body has 3 mode shocks which are extra cost option (Adaptive Damping Suspension) on any non WB model in the Scat Pack range.

The other item that's standard on WB are 6 piston brakes which are extra cost (Dynamics Pkg) on the other models. 4 piston Brembo brakes are std. Scat Pack equipment

Your operating costs might be a little higher with the WB - the 305 tires plus there's more rolling resistance - your MPG takes a slight hit

·
Premium Member
4,124 Posts
2019 1320 is no longer available. Limited run. As for deals, I'm seeing cars with almost 10K markdowns on a 2020 already. Use that Build a car feature, then search inventory, and crank the distance up to 150+ miles. Always look at it on the dealer website, that's where the deals are listed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,527 Posts
Expensive mats...

A Guy :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Expensive mats...
I've been trying to figure out the option packages too. Let's say I want the power tilt/telescoping steering column. It looks like the only way to get it is with a 1320 Plus Group. The only other option package (I can find) with the power tilt/telescoping steering column is the 50th Anniversary. How does one get this feature on a regular Scat Pack? I can see them maybe making that option exclusive to the 50th Anniversary, but that still doesn't make sense as the 50th Anniversary is about rarity and a trim package not creature comforts. It sure doesn't fit with the 1320 option to be adding weight and features to a car intended to do one thing really well - go fast.

I first thought the "1320 Plus Group" was an add-on to the "1320". However, the "1320 Plus Group" can be selected without choosing the "1320" option. And compare that to the price of the regular Plus Package, sure seems like the better option...except you lose the Bee logo on the seat.

To make it more interesting, try to add something like the Front Strut Brace. Gotta drop the 1320 Plus Group, and you are required to have different seats. Okay, I can believe dropping the 1320 Plus Group because maybe the mechanism for the Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column somehow under the hood interferes with the location of the strut brace. But requiring a switch over to Scat Pack Logo seats?? I don't get it.

I appreciate the website automation and 'bling', they really do a good job with the pictures representing the build options. But that is just covering up for a lack of information and making me play a guessing game about what I can and cannot order. The "1320" option is a great example. We here on this forum all know that means the car is specially prepped for the track. Looking at the website it looks like a cargo net, floor mat, and no rear seat - that's all you get for $4k. Again, lacking information and details.

Guess I need to call the dealer and pester him with questions, and hope for straight answers.
-Eric

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,527 Posts
From their site, you can't even tell what a 1320 is...that's why I posted expensive mats. Nothing about all the performance differences even listed. I'd always want to order with the dealer...problem is with some, you need to be the expert as sometimes who you are dealing with doesn't even know all the options. Everyone should have a Steve White near them...

A Guy

Reactions: MrF8Green

·
Registered
503 Posts
... I'd always want to order with the dealer...problem is with some, you need to be the expert as sometimes who you are dealing with doesn't even know all the options. Everyone should have a Steve White near them...
Exactly! I took the build print out from the website to one local dealer. An hour in the back room later, and they told me they could only order it with Brass Monkey wheels. And they couldn't figure out how to add the Dynamics Package. But they would knock $10k off MSRP for 'today only'.

Okay, I'll profess being new to this forum.... Who is Steve White?

-Eric

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,527 Posts

Luke, is a long time, very helpful member. And Steve White is a performance friendly dealer

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
236 Posts
Carvana is as much a gimmick as anything is.
Carvana has been great for me when it comes to trading in cars. Back in normal times they paid me near retail prices for 2 cars vs the crappy trade in offers from the dealers. Super simple transactions - can’t say a bad word about them.

·
Premium Member
9,802 Posts
If they paid you near retail just think about what the person buying it from them paid for it. Someone is getting hosed, the profit has to come from somewhere.
Everything catches up at some point, I think it’s like the flavor of the month, it’ll wear off and be gone at some point down the road.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
285 Posts
I'd always want to order with the dealer...problem is with some, you need to be the expert as sometimes who you are dealing with doesn't even know all the options.
Very true. When I first went to my dealer to talk about ordering a 1320 no one there even knew what it was, not even the sales manager. I had to explain it to them. Sales manager went to try and look it up and came back telling me it was limited to only 50 units. After a while I realized they had found the new Mopar Drag Pack and thought that was what I was talking about. This was right before Dodge opened up ordering on the 2020 year 1320s.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
236 Posts
If they paid you near retail just think about what the person buying it from them paid for it. Someone is getting hosed, the profit has to come from somewhere.
Everything catches up at some point, I think it’s like the flavor of the month, it’ll wear off and be gone at some point down the road.
Sounds like you’re describing every single car dealership in the world😀.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very true. When I first went to my dealer to talk about ordering a 1320 no one there even knew what it was, not even the sales manager. I had to explain it to them. Sales manager went to try and look it up and came back telling me it was limited to only 50 units. After a while I realized they had found the new Mopar Drag Pack and thought that was what I was talking about. This was right before Dodge opened up ordering on the 2020 year 1320s.
Wow really!? That's a little disappointing on their end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts