Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't really believe I'm posting this question, but I thought maybe there might be some gearhead entomologist on the forum that could shed some light on the problem.

Got a car show coming up, and I've got to drive through some NorCal farm country to get there. Spring and Summer have plenty of insects out and they end up plastered all over the front of the car, and I end up virtually washing the frickin' thing with detailer once I get to the show. Not good for me, not good for the paint. I guess I could mask off the worst areas with tape and peel it off? I dunno.

Simple question, but off-the-wall: is there a best time of day to avoid airborne bugs during a 1.5 hour trip? Night or day, I don't care. And no, I won't drive at night with the lights off...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Upon a quick search, I don't think it matters as to what time of day, but rather, what season...

Thinking about it, different bugs are out and about at different times of the day... moths at night, bees during the day... that type of thing. Kind of like any animal, there are critters that fulfill each part of the day, owls at night, hawks during the day... bugs aren't any different, IMO.

Answer: probably isn't any "safe" time to avoid bugs while driving, although I'd assume the transition times (dawn/dusk) may lead you to encounter both daylight and nocturnal species as each wakes up or is heading home after the graveyard shift.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Upon a quick search, I don't think it matters as to what time of day, but rather, what season...

Thinking about it, different bugs are out and about at different times of the day... moths at night, bees during the day... that type of thing. Kind of like any animal, there are critters that fulfill each part of the day, owls at night, hawks during the day... bugs aren't any different, IMO.

Answer: probably isn't any "safe" time to avoid bugs while driving, although I'd assume the transition times (dawn/dusk) may lead you to encounter both daylight and nocturnal species as each wakes up or is heading home after the graveyard shift.
I was going to say, to me, it seemed that the bugs were worse during the early morning and early evening hours. During the middle of the day they seem to be more sparse by comparison. Of course, this may all be relative to geographic location and (as you mentioned) the season.:scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
I have found that bugs are much worse at night. I would try driving in the early afternoon. Also bring along a good detail spray and some micofiber towels.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Actually you can skin the car, ( with shipping / transport film),

It's a cheap mylar product, like shrink-wrap, comes in colors or transparent,
quick to put on, peels right off, put some on front-end and mirror housings.

Will save you a lot of on-site detailing at the show.

As far as bugs, (as reptiles) are cold blooded, activity is greatist as temperature increases. Best time to drive is very early morning, before sun up.
Your resuts may very, good luck.
:smoker:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thinking on the transition times. I'm thinking maybe just muscle out there in the early afternoon with a tape-masked front. I'll look silly, but whatever...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually you can skin the car, ( with shipping / transport film),

It's a cheap mylar product, like shrink-wrap, comes in colors or transparent,
quick to put on, peels right off, put some on front-end and mirror housings.

Will save you a lot of on-site detailing at the show.

As far as bugs, (as reptiles) are cold blooded, activity is greatist as temperature increases. Best time to drive is very early morning, before sun up.
Your resuts may very, good luck.
:smoker:
Better than tape, absolutely! Where can you pick up shipping/transport film? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Better than tape, absolutely! Where can you pick up shipping/transport film? Anyone?
....here ya go (this is one source at least):

Surface Protection Film Roll - Everyday and Storage - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage

Also, if you're looking for something closer to a traditional wash rather than a quick detailer when you get to the show, you may want to consider a “rinseless” solution like Optimum No Rinse. You use a bucket, wash media and towels. The only issue is finding a water source to mix the solution when you get there but if you have a cover for the bucket, you can simply prefill and even mix your solution before you go. …..just make sure to pack your wash media and plenty of towels to wipe down/dry the car off and you’re good to go.

I’ve driven through those areas a few times going up to Napa and I know what you’re talking about. ….bug city.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm a biologist/ecologist/fisherman, so close enough. I'm on the other coast, and those that said insects are a local issue are correct. In GENERAL, you should avoid dusk and dawn periods like people have said. Although the comment was made that insects are not warm-blooded, they are more complex on that issue, and many insects avoid the heat of the day. In most areas I have been in dusk and dawn are bad and night time is also bad, but night-time may be a regional issue (based on insect species and vegetation of the area). Mid-day is definitely your best bet to avoid large swarms.

You know who knows local insect best are fishermen. Many insects hatch in similar time periods, leading to "hatches", swarming, etc. You might also prioritize a route away from rivers or large lakes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
thanks for the link

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Carry some "bounce" dryer sheets in the trunk, the fabric softener removes bugs easily and does not hurt the paint at all. The detailer spray just gives a little lubrication for the dryer sheet to work. The added benefit is that the bounce sheets make the trunk smell fresh all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts