Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, while browsing thru other sites and forums I saw some confusion on when to replace oem battery. Some people have had issues they considered was caused by a battery that was getting old and needing replacement even know it still started car.so. When did you replace your battery and did you do it due to it being past its age or because you needed it replaced due to issues it caused. I have a 2012 so I am pretty sure I am in the window of replacing the battery but have had batteries that have last much longer. Thoughts ? Opinions?
Have a happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I replace mine when I start having symptoms that the battery is nearing the end of it's useful life.

With that said, being proactive and replacing a 5 year old battery is a smarter way of doing it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
That depends on where you live, how often you drive your car, its brands, and etc

Anyone live in the cold northern states can expect their batteries to last longer than the ones in the warmer southern states for an example.

I expect about 3-4 years out of my battery living in Colorado, and drive my Challenger as DD.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I just hope that my battery will give me signs that it isn't long for this world. I've had them completely die without warning too.

If mine shows no signs of dying when it's 5 years old, I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's funny. One of the things I wanted when I was negotiating to buy car was a brand new battery. I did not get that but they came down 200 bucks. Go figure. Having some of the electrical gremlins that seem to hang out with the dodge vehicles and am wondering if the 5 yr + battery is adding to the puzzle. I drive the car on weekends sometime 2 weeks inbetween start ups. Car was rarely driven before I got it so don't know if battery is fresher or less desirable cause of this.

·
Premium Member
9,659 Posts
If only an occasional car, put it on a battery tender always it prevents sulfation if the cells. Mine is also a 2012 and have been considering a new one as well. Giving some thought to an AGM (absorbent glass May) type. You can find 20-25% off coupons for advanced auto online and print it to take to the store.
If you get a flooded type battery, make sure it has a vent to connect your tube to.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
My last 2 cars I replaced batteries on started to crank slow, so that's what I look for, and anything over 5 years old.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in NJ and my Challenger is driven daily. I waited 5.5 years and preemptively changed the battery. Whatever battery you purchase please make sure it has a recent manufacture date.

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
My battery was 5 1/2 years old when I replaced it with a Bosch Premium Glass Mat Technology battery. I should have replaced it sooner as preventative maintenance.

It died in the NJ Motor Vehicle garage while my SRT was undergoing inspection. They had to push my pride an joy out onto the grass like a POS. What an embarrassing situation. It was a hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My battery was 5 1/2 years old when I replaced it with a Bosch Premium Glass Mat Technology battery. I should have replaced it sooner as preventative maintenance.

It died in the NJ Motor Vehicle garage while my SRT was undergoing inspection. They had to push my pride and joy out onto the grass like a POS. What an embarrassing situation. It was a hard lesson learned.

Sounds familiar... my shift ends late at night, the car was in a dark parking garage, the fob didn't work, when I put the key in the door the car went into a anti-theft panic mode. Every light in the interior and exterior was flashing and the horn was also going off. Before this happened the battery indicator on the dash never came on and volt meter was over 14v. I didn't think the battery was dying. I had to disconnect the battery because the lights would not turn off and didn't want to drain the battery. Next morning I came back with a new top of the line AGM battery. Had to hold the lock and unlock buttons down on the fob for 5 seconds to get it to work. That part in not in the manual. I never owned a car that put on a light show when the battery was dying. From now on I am replacing the battery every 1 to 2 years. I'm not waiting for that to happen again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My cars battery is still the same one that came from the factory 5 years ago. She still still starts like a champ. Soon as I start feeling a slow crank I will replace it.

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
My cars battery is still the same one that came from the factory 5 years ago. She still still starts like a champ. Soon as I start feeling a slow crank I will replace it.
A battery is not that expensive, especially if you get one on sale. With a 5-year old battery, you are "rolling the dice." Why take a chance on being stranded?

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I have a 2009 SUZUKI Bandit 1250 Sport Touring bike........still OEM battery!!!

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
738 Posts
Because I have never seen a battery start my vehicle perfect and then 8-12 hours later just die out.
I have, started the Dakota and drove it 2 miles to the store (started and ran perfectly). When I came out of the store less than 5 minutes later and turned the key all sorts of lights and buzzers were flashing and buzzing and the engine would not turn over. Battery had a shorted cell, had to be replaced. While sitting in a restaurant I saw the windows go down and the lights go on on my Ram. Closed the windows and a few minutes later the same thing happened but the truck started normally. Had the battery tested at parts store, it tested bad and was replaced. One morning I went to the garage and noticed EVIC and shiftier lights illuminated on the Scat Pack, was unable to get them to shut off. To make a long story short, the problem was something shorting out one fuse in the rear control panel.

I work in an automotive parts store, we test a lot of batteries. In my experience the tests are very reliable.

My recommendations:
1 if your MOPAR exhibits strange electrical events suspect low voltage, most likely but not always bad battery.
2 If the battery is approaching 4 years of age get it tested
3 If the battery is 5 years old consider replacing it. It could be good for several years or could let you down when you need it most.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I kinda recall reading about needing to re-calibrate/re-set a few things after installing a new battery.

Obviously I can understand stuff the radio buttons needing to be re-assigned ............... but was there something related to the window open/close (as part of opening the car door) that needs attention ?

Anything else ? Or anything to minimize the impact (save settings) of installing a new battery ?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I kinda recall reading about needing to re-calibrate/re-set a few things after installing a new battery.

Obviously I can understand stuff the radio buttons needing to be re-assigned ............... but was there something related to the window open/close (as part of opening the car door) that needs attention ?

Anything else ? Or anything to minimize the impact (save settings) of installing a new battery ?
If you take your car to Advance Auto Parts, they'll put a 12-V power source on your car (to maintain all of the settings and to not disrupt the sensitive electronics) while they install your battery for you.

My '13 Challenger has 65K miles....5.5 years old. When I go Advance in a couple weeks to get my spark-plugs and other assorted goodies to spruce up the exterior, I will replace the battery, even though it's given me no indication that it's about to fail. I'd rather replace it a year or two before failure than wait until it "begins to fail" or has already quit. If you're getting low voltage fault codes or the engine is "cranking slowly", you've waited too long.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought myself one of those portable jump starters so I don't have to worry about my battery leaving me stranded. I did replace the battery, after about 7 years, when it was fairly obvious that it wasn't holding a full charge for long. Just a little peace of mind while waiting another year or two to replace it.
Of course less chance of it but new batteries go bad too.

Reactions: silver scat
1 - 20 of 86 Posts