Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep thinking that with the 2011's coming in that the 2010's are gonna drop in price or a "end of the year" kinda sale will happen, but I hear nothing about it and the dealers are actually being worse about not working with me.

Before January 3rd I had a couple dealers willing to go down 2-4 on the listed price, and now those same dealers won't budge on the sales price. Can anyone explain why?

It seems to me that they would be wanting to sell the 2010's for what they can, but they aren't budging. Are there any sales or rebates coming that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,819 Posts
Many dealers are coming down a lot in areas, maybe just not yours. They probably know you want one, and figure you'll just end up biting the bullet and paying what they're asking. Gotta have a poker face when you walk in the door or just deal over the internet and not even let them see you until you've got the deal you want.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't know where the rebates are now; in December-Jan 3, they were $2K + $1.5K for a manual. I think they sold a lot of cars during that time, (I bought mine). Some dealers were discounting $8K off MSRP.

One things for sure and that is the '10 models aren't appreciating in value as winter gets socked in and the '11's start to roll into the dealerships.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Most dealers have been offering steep discounts on 2010 Challengers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A month ago I saw a Black 09 R/T, six speed car, that was loaded, pop up on a chevy lot. It had 8000 miles on it. They asked 30K for it, and got it!! It sold within one week!! My guess is, dealers are not coming down in price because 2011 cars are arriving on the lots at a high price. Went to a local Dodge lot a couple weeks ago and was shocked to find NO R/T's (2011's) below $42,000. So if a dealer has a left over 10 R/T and it's at $38,000, he is going tough to deal with. April is usually the best time to find a deal on leftover cars, if there is such a thing for a R/T. Seems like the R/T's are holding their value.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
A month ago I saw a Black 09 R/T, six speed car, that was loaded, pop up on a chevy lot. It had 8000 miles on it. They asked 30K for it, and got it!! It sold within one week!! My guess is, dealers are not coming down in price because 2011 cars are arriving on the lots at a high price. Went to a local Dodge lot a couple weeks ago and was shocked to find NO R/T's (2011's) below $42,000. So if a dealer has a left over 10 R/T and it's at $38,000, he is going tough to deal with. April is usually the best time to find a deal on leftover cars, if there is such a thing for a R/T. Seems like the R/T's are holding their value.
I agree with your logic excepting the best time to move on one. I think that depends on the area. In a warm climate, April probably makes sense, if there's any left with the options you want. In my area, and even more so the NorthEast, I've found January a great time to buy a car like the Challenger. High powered, rear wheel drive muscle cars and winter/snow/freezing temps don't mix for good sales. Add to that the economic climate in general, and it's a buyers market.

I bought a brand new GTO in 2005 and the dealer was in NY up near Niagara Falls. He was so anxious to make a sale, they met me halfway in Harrisburg, PA. I think between his discounts, the rebates and gm card points I only had to pay about $24K for a brand new $36K car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think dealers pay taxes on their inventory at the end of the year, so they may have been willing to wheel and deal a little more then and not so much now. The dealers always push the cars that the manufacturer has the biggest dealer incentive too. If you're interested in getting a good deal on an R/T the Chicago listing looked good or I'm sure the salesman at the dealership where I bought mine could hook you up with a good price too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've seen some pretty good deals around here. Our local dealer sold an SRT8 with a $46K MSRP for $36K. One suggestion, search the Ebay completed ads and look for Challengers with a Buy It Now price that didn't sell... might give you some negotiation power.

As for the dealers not budging... I've never seen dealers like exist in the Dodge network. Had terrible, terrible experiences with them lying to me on the phone and in person.

Stick with your guns, there are some deals out there but you might have to drive a little to get them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know a good shipping company or can you give me an idea on how much shipping a vehicle is across the US?

·
Registered
891 Posts
There is a dealership here that still has a 2008 SRT 500 on the lot (if you can believe it!) and they want $60K for it! They feel it's gone up in value! There is another dealership here also that had a 2009 black R/T in the showroom and they still wanted sticker for it ($45K). I told the sales manager that the car is over a year old and depreciation still kicks in whether is on your lot or not. He didn't like that... oh well.

Apparently, we don't have to wait 20 years for a car to become a collectors item anymore...you can buy them directly off the lot now! :notallthere:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
There is a dealership here that still has a 2008 SRT 500 on the lot (if you can believe it!) and they want $60K for it! They feel it's gone up in value! There is another dealership here also that had a 2009 black R/T in the showroom and they still wanted sticker for it ($45K). I told the sales manager that the car is over a year old and depreciation still kicks in whether is on your lot or not. He didn't like that... oh well.

Apparently, we don't have to wait 20 years for a car to become a collectors item anymore...you can buy them directly off the lot now! :notallthere:
There's all types; some dealers can let go of the past, and others like this guy are still living in the first few months when the Challenger was released. One things for sure, it's his car, and he can sit on it till it hatches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I dont see a whole lot of Challengers in the DFW area. Still, compared to other parts of the country they are overpriced.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm thinking when the 2011's actually start hitting the showroom floors. The 2011's msrps are they same of older models but have more hp + better mpg thus if dealers want to sell 2010's then they will need to lower those prices.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I dont see a whole lot of Challengers in the DFW area. Still, compared to other parts of the country they are overpriced.

The DFW dealers are starting to deal now. I have two dealerships down $5,500 off MSRP after two e-mails.

I still may wait because I think they will go lower. In fact I may wait and see what the incentives are on the 2011. $4 a gal gas this summer will make the Challenger a tough sell.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts