Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but there are dozens of photos of 2020 vehicles spotted in the "wild" or on the track being tested (Ford, BMW, Merc, Aston, Porsche, VW, etc.) with even spy pics of the 2021 Ford Escape mule being published......but not a single design sketch, rendering, prototype, social media post on the next gen Challenger due in 2021. Given the architecture shift proposed for the 2021 model, you would think that testing would have commenced by now. Is FCA that good at keeping secrets or will the next gen Challenger be postponed?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The word on the street is no new Challenger until 2023 or later. Maybe some different motor/package offerings and some minor features and exterior plastic mods (grill, tail-lights, etc.), but nothing earth shattering.

We're all waiting patiently to see if/how they integrate this model on an Italian car chassis, praying they don't "Mustang" it up like Ford did.

Frankly, I'm going to put some more love and attention into my current Challenger, wait patiently, and if they downsize it and turn it into a euro-weenie-mobile, I'll just get a Regular Cab short-bed RAM Sport, lower it, and go truckin' instead. I won't drive a euro-sport car, and NO sport sedans (the next 4-door car I ride in will be the hearse.)

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I plan to keep what I have, shooting for 300K+ miles and die still owning it. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
751 Posts
What is the motivation for FCA to redesign the Challenger? Sales of the 10 year old design continue to grow while current owners are drooling all over themselves fantasizing about increasing engine displacement from 392 to 426 CI. Dodge appears to be playing and winning a game they invented.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I don't think that the Italian parent company wants to keep building a Challenger on a Benz chassis with a Benz transmission.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Well the chasis is pretty modified now, and the trannys are made by ZF - which just like the old Benz tranny - FCA builds themselves now...

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
It’s a retro car, once they change from its roots I think it loses its draw.

All the Mustang people I know despise the euro/global Mustang and the Camaro guys aren’t happy either.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Well I hate to say it guys but it could only be 1970 for so long (2008-14), and now it can only be 1971 for so long. I actually hope they change it somewhat for 2019. No I don't want to see it get Euro-fied like the Mustang, or absolutely butchered like the new Camaro. I just want it to stay fresh and exciting.

If it stays the same as it is, sales will steadily fall. I say that because I think everyone who wants one has one by now, or will soon. If they saturate the market with more of the same bodystyle, it will devalue both the used cars and the new cars when supply exceeds demand.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Well I hate to say it guys but it could only be 1970 for so long (2008-14), and now it can only be 1971 for so long. I actually hope they change it somewhat for 2019. No I don't want to see it get Euro-fied like the Mustang, or absolutely butchered like the new Camaro. I just want it to stay fresh and exciting.

If it stays the same as it is, sales will steadily fall. I say that because I think everyone who wants one has one by now, or will soon. If they saturate the market with more of the same bodystyle, it will devalue both the used cars and the new cars when supply exceeds demand.
It has to change and like you said it doesn't have to be euro. But you cant keep putting out the same thing and just changing paint colors and expect to keep adding new customers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
2023?

Has there ever been a run that long on a production vehicle without significant change?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
On the one hand I understand the perspective of how not changing the look would become stale. But on the other, I feel like that's the appeal of the Challenger. As mentioned, the Mustang and the Camaro have both undergone multiple transformations that now make the car lose its old school appeal. The Challenger has not done that yet. And I hope they don't. I love that the Challenger is really one of the last muscle cars and I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There's an entire 5-year run available on the current chassis if they'd just add some Cuda styling cues and offer a drop-top. A Challenger styled after the 72-73 Cuda would be a boon.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
2023?

Has there ever been a run that long on a production vehicle without significant change?
Fox body Mustang would be the closest thing I can think of. 79-93. I wonder if Ford fans thought it was getting stale by then?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Fox body Mustang would be the closest thing I can think of. 79-93. I wonder if Ford fans thought it was getting stale by then?
That's a good example. The only one I could think of were the 1970-1981 Camaros and Firebirds

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
68-82 Corvette the same platform and body but the winner is ....

VW Beetle, in production 1938-2003

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
It was the old school look and modernized interior that drove me into my dream car. The Challenger is a very iconic muscle car with a strong heritage (sans-eighties version) and as some have stated, modernizing vs. adding little caveats each year will only serve to alienate the stalwarts, while opening up to a new generation of car buyer.

IMO I thing that Dodge is doing a great job with marketing and continuing the muscle car legacy.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Jeeps...the Porsche 911...a few cars can and do pull off the same design over time. Challenger could be next.

I think Ralph Gilles said himself a few years ago, they couldn't believe or understand why Challenger sales were continuing to increase...but at this point I'm sure they have realized that they should be focusing their efforts on evolving the rest of the lineup. Don't fix what ain't broken!

1 - 20 of 211 Posts