Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a SC that makes some noise these days? I know some people prefer to keep their cars stealth or sleepers, but what about those of us that want to hear it... I don't expect it to sound like a BDS 8-71, but some whine would be nice!

The only twin-screw I know of that wasn't designed for quiet operation was the first generation Techco. Are there any others, or options for those of us that wanna make some noise??

I'd prefer to run a Magnason since that's what Hurst is using and I'd like to keep the car authentic, but if there are no options to make it louder I'll probably try to find a used Techco.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Do you just want a twin screw or roots blower?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Does anyone make a SC that makes some noise these days? I know some people prefer to keep their cars stealth or sleepers, but what about those of us that want to hear it... I don't expect it to sound like a BDS 8-71, but some whine would be nice!

The only twin-screw I know of that wasn't designed for quiet operation was the first generation Techco. Are there any others, or options for those of us that wanna make some noise??

I'd prefer to run a Magnason since that's what Hurst is using and I'd like to keep the car authentic, but if there are no options to make it louder I'll probably try to find a used Techco.

Thanks!
Scott
When did the Hurst challenger quit using vortechs? I have the magnacharger and it has some whine to it, but hard to hear over my exhaust.
Hurst Challenger

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When did the Hurst challenger quit using vortechs? I have the magnacharger and it has some whine to it, but hard to hear over my exhaust.
Hurst Challenger
They just switched over in the last few months. Not sure if any cars have shipped yet, but I know the Magnason's were available from Hurst back in November. The Hurst Camaro already used the Maggie, I'm told the Challenger version looks the same.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
From my understanding, its all in the drive gear cut. I was told that some of SC manufactures have a choice of gear cut for quite or for vintage noise. Not sure what one though. Tim C from dcx mentioned this to me in a conversation we had.
I was not used to the noise, but I got used to it and now I like.
FT

·
Banned
664 Posts
They just switched over in the last few months. Not sure if any cars have shipped yet, but I know the Magnason's were available from Hurst back in November. The Hurst Camaro already used the Maggie, I'm told the Challenger version looks the same.
This link describing the the hurst is dated Jan 2011. Hurst Challenger

·
Banned
664 Posts
OK, not trying to argue about it...
LOL me either, I knew the camaro was using the magnacharger, GM has a good relationship with the eaton SC. I just thought maybe the challenger was now using it too and you had some info.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL me either, I knew the camaro was using the magnacharger, GM has a good relationship with the eaton SC. I just thought maybe the challenger was now using it too and you had some info.
The Hurst Challenger is using the Magnason Supercharger now. I can't explain why the website hasn't been updated. Maybe things have changed with the new 6.4L engine and tuning. I know they were selling their last Vortech SC about a month ago because I got a call from the dealership offering it to me for a discount. I've talked to Hurst several times about getting a Hurst/Magnason SC for my car, which is a 2010 R/T. I can only go by what I've been told by Hurst directly, and in regards to my car though...

·
Banned
664 Posts
It could be a tuning issue on the 6.4, as of right now no one can tune one for a SC or anything else yet. But magnacharger is supposed to have a 6.4 car on order to start developing it. It could be vortech is going to be to far off getting one ready?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not an expert, and don't have a SC, but I sometimes watch a show called Overhaulin where Chip Foose redoes a car in 7 days... In one episode they did a Monte Carlo (code name Monte Fuego) and it included a Vortech unit. Had some real whine to it, particularly at idle--sounded great. Maybe a Vortech owner can chime in here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an S Trim Vortech on a 1996 Z/28 I had years ago and it was whiny as hell. It's all in the gear cut. I think the cross cut is quieter then the straight cut on the gear. I liked the whine, it kept away the sheepdip import guys.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My Techco is loud. At idle it sounds like a loose belt. At WOT it sounds like a jet engine from the front and with the headers and exhaust it sounds like a Harley from the rear. I love the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I have the Techco Quiet Drive and while it had no gear noise at idle, it still has the awesome whine of a blower when pushed. I never thought the idle noise on the original Techco's was that attractive. I had the one for my install swapped for the first quiet drive after talking to Carlos. It just lacks the gear grinding noise from the first one.

The KB's I have heard have a slight "squeak" to them at idle.

I don't think you notice any of it with the hood down. They all sound great under boost.

I think the Procharger kit looks pretty good. I don't care for the bulky I/C setup on the Vortec.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I was told by Hurst, they always wanted to use the Magnason, but they weren't CARB certified and the Vortech was. Shortly after Magnason got their certification Hurst made the decision to switch. The new 6.4L probably threw a monkey wrench into the mix... Hopefully they get it sorted out quickly.

It could be a tuning issue on the 6.4, as of right now no one can tune one for a SC or anything else yet. But magnacharger is supposed to have a 6.4 car on order to start developing it. It could be vortech is going to be to far off getting one ready?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts