Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what changes were made to squeeze out an extra 15 horsepower and 5 lb-ft of torque in the 2015 392 engine? I've been doing some searching and have yet to find a solid answer for this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I read here somewhere that there were no engine changes, and that the HP rating was made at a higher RPM . . . Not sure if that's accurate info or not . . .

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
My guess is the increase is due to the active exhaust and maybe some tuning tweaks. The exhaust on my car has small mufflers under the rear seats and even smaller, straight-through resonators (with a circular opening near the exit to let unwanted frequencies into the body of the resonator).

In fact, I'm shocked that Dodge is able to sell cars with exhaust this loud and get it passed the sound "police." I'm quite sure those who buy 2015's with the 6.4 or 6.2SC will be pleased. :D

[well, there are always some that will want louder]

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,733 Posts
I was thinking about how the skip shift eliminator is a simple resistor plug in device that defeats the skip shift function. I bet there must be something similar, if not part of a tune, that can keep those exhaust valves open all of the time. The other option would be just to bypass that portion of the exhaust so no valve at all. Does anyone know if this would cause a loss of power or be to loud, causing drone at highway speeds with the MDS on? I think nobody knows the answers to these questions yet, as it's still early, but if anyone has a clue, by all means chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Actually, it's as simple as pressing the Sport button (if programmed to Sport) to open the active exhaust valve and then pressing the Sport button (to off) to close it. I doubt many will need to mess with the exhaust at all unless they want really, really loud.

The difference is most noticable inside the car around 2,000 RPM. I'd love to hear it from outside if someone wants to attach a GoPro to the rear bumper and post the results.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,733 Posts
That does sound a bit to easy. I thought the sport mode would provide more aggressive shifts at higher rpms which would effect gas mileage a bit. I guess you could program your own settings accordingly and keep the valves open, but can they be kept open all of the time? I don't know how loud that would be, but I'd give it a try just to see.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
I believe it does change the shifts if you have the automatic. Sport mode does change the throttle response even with the manual transmission as well as keeping the active exhaust valve open.

I'd like to see inside one of the mufflers (the ones under the rear seats). I'm sure sombody will cut them off.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
To the op, the only known difference right now is the fact that the 2015s do have an electric power steering pump, so that is one less accessory for the engine to run, hence a little less power loss.

·
Registered
721 Posts
To the op, the only known difference right now is the fact that the 2015s do have an electric power steering pump, so that is one less accessory for the engine to run, hence a little less power loss.
This is the reason that I saw in a video from a Dodge engineer saying - The electric power steering pump free'd up some hp.

·
Registered
824 Posts
15HP and 5TQ is a lot of power to free up from one pump..

My guess is the exhaust+pump+tune revisions did the work.

The good news is more than likely you wont need to change out the exhaust now..instant $1200 savings!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts