Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am chasing the the red power line from the battery , through the trunk & down into the frame of the Challenger where i lose visability.

Does anyone know where this leads? It is presumably the cause for stall outs because it feels flimsy and unattached .

Please let me know if you can, thanks!
image.jpg
B596FEBB-2767-4C09-9E4A-C74E7A275098.jpeg

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
337 Posts
It might route different by year, but on my 2019 it follows the right side of the car up to the firewall below the glovebox and goes through a bulkhead connector then on to the engine fuse box.

If you reach up on the passenger's side, kind of below the carpet you will find the bottom of the flimsy plastic cover on the firewall. It will bend more than enough that you can see where it attaches... never looked on the engine side though.

And here are some poorly edited pictures that I stole from the internet.

I know this is a Charger, but it routes the same

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,510 Posts
I doubt that is your issue, it it was not properly attached the car would not start, that is a lot of current through it, the most that ever happens.
How long have you had the car? It looks like it is/was damp in the trunk area, has it had water damage?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,488 Posts
If you go to the online chiltons manual and look up wiring diagrams/ location views, you should be able to see how wires are routed thru the chassis. The line you show actually connects to an isolated junction near the firewall that then feeds the front fuse box.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
How long have you had the car? It looks like it is/was damp in the trunk area, has it had water damage?
My thoughts exactly. The trunk should be pristine and look like new. There is water soaked padding, rust and the positive cable looks like it is corroded. There is something more afoot.....

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Yep, water in the trunk from flooding in these cars is fatal.

Years of ongoing headaches and newly invented cuss words galore.

FWIW, if there's flood water in the trunk, the rockers are filled too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks very much for the responses the diagrams were very helpful. The bundle of wires follows that path but my red line is missing , it stops somewhere underneath the passenger seat . i am trying to get closer without having to remove the whole seat.

As for the signs of water damage i was surprised at that myself. ive had it just over 2 years with most nights parked in garages.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,288 Posts
thanks very much for the responses the diagrams were very helpful. The bundle of wires follows that path but my red line is missing , it stops somewhere underneath the passenger seat . i am trying to get closer without having to remove the whole seat.

As for the signs of water damage i was surprised at that myself. ive had it just over 2 years with most nights parked in garages.
just for curiosity, what year is your car? does it have a sun roof?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it’s a 2012 sxt, but no sun roof on it.

i was able to inspect further and have found the red wire, it ran through the center of the floor on the passenger side. And i also noticed that there is a yellowish goo all over the floor, like somebody spilled a coke, its still moist in some areas. Im still not sure why Service Power Steering is getting triggered.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,488 Posts
it’s a 2012 sxt, but no sun roof on it.

i was able to inspect further and have found the red wire, it ran through the center of the floor on the passenger side. And i also noticed that there is a yellowish goo all over the floor, like somebody spilled a coke, its still moist in some areas. Im still not sure why Service Power Steering is getting triggered.
You have a code reader?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i havent gotten my own yet. sometimes it starts up with the malfunction light on too , but not always.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,488 Posts
If you are looking for a code reader I highly recommend OBDlink MX+ or MX and AlfaOBD software. The software works with the OBDlink interface and not only can it interrogate just about every module but it can also run some diagnostics, reset modules and sensors, but also can change some of the car configurations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to take advantage of auto zone’s OBD scanner a few times this week, the first test showing just 1 code, U0002 High Speed CAN Communication Bus Performance.

I went back today and did the same thing and I got a bunch of codes:
U110E Lost Ambient Temperature
U0101
Lost Communication with TCM
U110C Lost Fuel Level Message
U1110 A/C CAN Timeout/Not equipped
U110A Lost Communication with SCM - CAN-C
U0141 Lost Communication with Body Control Module “A”
U1403 Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received
U1411 Implausible Fuel Volume Signal Received
U110F Lost Fuel Volume Message
U0002 High Speed CAN Communication Bus Performance
U0002 High Speed CAN Communication Bus Performance

I’ve spent the past few days checking each wire making sure there were no obstructions or burns anywhere. The autozone report suggests I replace something called “ambient air temperature Sensor,” but I hadn’t ever heard of that part before.

I replaced the battery, brakes, and radiator within the past month. Before this string of repairs my car was in incredible shape, and now it runs like crap.

The radiator mechanic, I had to go back to his shop twice to get plastic pieces that were taken out during the install and not placed back. Seeing the U1110 code, I am nervous that the same thing could’ve happened to A/C CAN.

I am unsure how to proceed besides finding and replacing the ‘Ambient Air Temperature Sensor.’ Does this make sense based on the Cars behavior? It seems much to much going wrong at the same time to me, but I don’t know enough yet to understand what is going on. Please help If you can!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
It seems much to much going wrong at the same time to me, but I don’t know enough yet to understand what is going on.
I noticed that most of the codes deal with "loss of communication" and "lost messages." This leads me to believe that you may want to check a major connection junction for connectivity, corrosion and general messed up-ness.

We can see pooled water, dampness and you mention spilled coke. My guess is that you have connection that haas been compromised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for your response, I completely agree that it sounds like a connection issue And especially because the warning lights will sometimes flicker or blink rapidly. I’ve spent alot of time but I can’t find the culprit. Can you suggest maybe a smaller area that I can concentrate on?

The water damage area makes sense now, as this all started with a highway shut-down on a very rainy day. Had it towed to dodge who declared the battery, and replace it. between the battery replacement and these shut down problems I’ve had 1,000 good miles. So maybe over time the wire absorbed moisture, and that is the reason for the current dying state of the wire. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,488 Posts
Check the inline body connector under the center console. Use chilton to see exactly where it is...should be just below and in front of the shifter. That has the bus line that goes to the dash and if you have a bad bus connection it can create all sorts of loss of communication woahs.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
555 Posts
I had to clean a bunch of the connectors on my son's dodge truck after it set for over a year. Used a couple of cans of electric contact cleaner and a small wire brush and a lot of patience. Good luck 👍!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i am still at a complete loss of understanding with this. after having ‘fixed it’ last night spending a few hours checking everything , driving around to make sure, still it comes right back.

so my car goes from a working condition to being unable to start up for hours upon its own whims. idk what to do anymore .
23847F72-BF83-490B-B2B3-127185FDFDE7.jpeg
D734CEB7-1A18-4808-87D3-AA97E9DE152C.jpeg
04F7D60F-B602-40A0-8C24-16FA633A8CC6.jpeg

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
555 Posts
Maybe retrace the steps you took last night to fix it checking along the way to see if it works. Maybe you can isolate the item or items that are causing you a problem. For instance, when my son doesn't start his dakota for awhile, I have to disconnect the pcm and clean it and the connectors on it with contact cleaner. Then it will start and run fine. If you can figure out what you did last night that fixed it maybe you can isolate the problem. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts