Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking inside my trunk and saw that any rain or car wash water will run down the sides of the trunk. Then it looks like it runs down around the lights but where does it go ? The rubber flaps on the sides of the taillights have a bottom edge the lays at an angle & on the metal body behind the bumper. How is that rubber supposed to be positioned ? is it supposed to be completely inside & under the light OR is it supposed to lay at that angle (bent looking) ? at the side of the taillights ? Can someone PLEASE open your trunks and see what the correct way is ? My rear bumper section was removed a few months ago to replace the warped black panel around the taillights. The body shop may have put those in the wrong position. Where does the water drain to ? It looks like it will go around the rubber where there are open spaces wether your rubber is outside of the botton side of the taillights or inside tucked behind the metal body section between the 2 taillights ? HOW does the water drain out without getting into your light area ? I can see the wires when I look through & under the rubber at the side area of the taillights.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it looks like water can run to the sides next to the taillights as it runs down the sides of the trunk wall and spills right ontop of & around the lights at least on mine. which way is the rubber on the sides of your lights ? tucked inside at the bottom or the bottom of the rubber laying on the metal part of the body next to each light ? I can see my lights wires when I look inside the small openings on the sides of the lights.
bert

·
Super Moderator
15,047 Posts
Runs down over the rear bumper cover. That's why I use compressed air after I wash it to prevent the water trails below the tail lamps.
You can also fold a towel and run into under the tail lamp /above the black trim surround.

Water accumulates there and will run off unless you blot that dry.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, I think water will run into the open areas of my taillights at the bottom as it comes down & around the sides of the trunk & runs down ontop of & around the tailights.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Thanks, I think water will run into the open areas of my taillights at the bottom as it comes down & around the sides of the trunk & runs down ontop of & around the tailights.

Take a picture, I am not sure I see what ya'll mean exactly. I am going to look for water as well.

Water outside OK, water inside not OK

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a picture, I am not sure I see what ya'll mean exactly. I am going to look for water as well.

Water outside OK, water inside not OK
Look at the sides of your taillights and look at all the rubber that fits around the outside edge inside the trunk wells that run down the sides of the trunk. they have rubber at the top where the lights should be protected from water running down, then the water will drop down to the bumper and to the sides of the taillight lenses. there is rubber at the bottom of the light housings inside edges. I can't load pictures from the phone camera for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
15,047 Posts
Look at the sides of your taillights and look at all the rubber that fits around the outside edge inside the trunk wells that run down the sides of the trunk. they have rubber at the top where the lights should be protected from water running down, then the water will drop down to the bumper and to the sides of the taillight lenses. there is rubber at the bottom of the light housings inside edges. I can't load pictures from the phone camera for some reason.
The sockets have gaskets that seal up against the lamp housings -the sockets and their wiring have weatherpak seals and epoxy, so there isn't any concerns about water getting into the wiring.

The housings have gaskets/seals that seats between the housing and the body and where the studs and fixture electrical connector pass through the sheet metal.

The center panel (attached to trunk lid) have those trim panels (on outer ends) that conceal the screws that secure it to the outer ends of the trunk lid.

You're over-thinking the thing - water runs along the trunk opening channels and behind the fixtures. They don't leak into the body.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am concerened about water running into the light lenses & the areas that the rubber doesn't cover completely. The water runs down under the light housing rubber as the long black plastic piece that runs from side to side on the bumper has a raised edge that water either has to go under or it has to run along the inside edge because the inside edge is raised. I would just like to know which route the water will take. I can imagine if you parked facing downhill on a steep hill with your hood on the downhill side & trunk on the uphill side and it rained hard and heavy, the water would run up against the area above the trunk opening and would get pretty deep at the area under the trunk gap that is closest to the rear window, that area would fill up deep with water. the trunk itself looks like it is sealed by weather stripping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts