Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 2015's have been revealed, I've been wondering, Where and how are they made? Doesn't the assembly line have to be re-tooled? Hand make all the new parts? Just curious....

srg

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I don't know how it's done today but back in the 70s, when I was involved with Ford prototypes, all the parts were made by hand from blueprints to see if everything fit before committing to making dies. These prototypes were assembled in a special shop, not on any production line.

Keep in mind that this was before CAD and all the blueprints were drawn by hand and you had to really know what you were doing just reading them.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how it's done today but back in the 70s, when I was involved with Ford prototypes, all the parts were made by hand from blueprints to see if everything fit before committing to making dies. These prototypes were assembled in a special shop, not on any production line.

Keep in mind that this was before CAD and all the blueprints were drawn by hand and you had to really know what you were doing just reading them.
First, thanks for the reply Czechman. The reason I asked these questions is because of all the cars you see at the auto show/unveil, all the test mules you see spy shots of, and recently, all the reported sightings of 2015's driving around the country. The 2014's are still being produced on the assembly line, so it's hard for me to believe that the new prototypes would be made there.

Can you imagine the task of retooling the assembly line? New molds or stamping dyes for body parts, new wiring harnesses for the new interior electronics etc, and this has to be done for both the Challenger and Charger! (The 300 doesn't change much for 15 does it?)

srg

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
First, thanks for the reply Czechman. The reason I asked these questions is because of all the cars you see at the auto show/unveil
The cars they show at unveilings and whatnot are cherried out production vehicles. Prototypes are pretty rough, or they were in my day. Again, I don't know how this is done today. Perhaps prototypes are much better.

We used to do the prep work on FoMoCo show cars and it started by stripping all the paint off and metal finishing out dents, dings, etc and the doors, trunk and hood gaps were made perfect either by grinding or adding metal. All seams in the door jambs and trunk were welded solid and smoothed over. Then the entire car got a show car paint job and we even cheated a little by adding a little pearl to the clear for an almost imperceptible extra pop on the contours.

Every piece of chrome was removed, stripped and metal finished and then sent to a special plating place that did the best chrome money could buy. Even things like the trim that went around the window frames was welded into one continuous piece to eliminate seams and chromed... even the aluminum trim.

Not sure what all they did to the interior, that was done elsewhere in our company.

All I can say for sure is those new cars on the turntable with the models did not come straight from the factory. A LOT of work goes into them.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Nope the Brampton plant has built pretty much all the pilots you have seen running around. As the platform of the cars hasn't changed we run them down the line mixed in with 14. With today's modern plants we are pretty flexible and can run 2 doors 4 doors and we used to run wagons all at the same time down the same lines.As we don't make parts for these cars they all come in from outside companies it makes no difference to is installing a 14 part or a 15 part.Now things like concept cars we don't do , they are built by outside bodyshops. In sure all the cars you see at the shows are gone over with fine tooth combs and had all the panels perfectly aligned and the paint wet sanded and polished to remove the orange peel.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
This is a very good thread! I saw a 2015 going down I-95 in Georgia the day after the reveal in New York and wondered how they were made as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To elaborate on what lx builder says there are different levels of builds. The first mules are usually hand built in garages. They later ho through multiple pilot builds at the assembly plant. The 2015 challengers at the shows were built at the assembly plant and reviewed prior to going to tge show.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope the Brampton plant has built pretty much all the pilots you have seen running around. As the platform of the cars hasn't changed we run them down the line mixed in with 14. With today's modern plants we are pretty flexible and can run 2 doors 4 doors and we used to run wagons all at the same time down the same lines.As we don't make parts for these cars they all come in from outside companies it makes no difference to is installing a 14 part or a 15 part.Now things like concept cars we don't do , they are built by outside bodyshops. In sure all the cars you see at the shows are gone over with fine tooth combs and had all the panels perfectly aligned and the paint wet sanded and polished to remove the orange peel.
I was aware that the 300, Charger, Challenger, and previously, the Magnum, were all built on the same assembly line. So the daily assembly line worker gets to see all the new designs? Wow, I can't believe there aren't more leaked pictures.

srg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I was aware that the 300, Charger, Challenger, and previously, the Magnum, were all built on the same assembly line. So the daily assembly line worker gets to see all the new designs? Wow, I can't believe there aren't more leaked pictures.

srg
Not if they want to remain employed. I'd say it would be immediate termination when caught.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Oh ya, would u risk a 50-100k a year to be the guy with the first pic. Not me!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yes it's cool to see what's coming down the pipes and I am to surprised more doesn't get leaked with so many people in the plants. It's funny when you know what's coming and you read some posts by others guessing or saying they know what's coming and they are so off base but you can't do anything to correct it. Everybody is super excited with what they have done with the challenger. If 08-14 sold like it did 15 -? should easily exceed it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes it's cool to see what's coming down the pipes and I am to surprised more doesn't get leaked with so many people in the plants. It's funny when you know what's coming and you read some posts by others guessing or saying they know what's coming and they are so off base but you can't do anything to correct it. Everybody is super excited with what they have done with the challenger. If 08-14 sold like it did 15 -? should easily exceed it.
If you can say, plant personnel aren't excited about the new Charger, either?:browsmiley:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know the feeling. Is hard to keep so quiet about something we are excited about.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I'm a sales engineer that makes sales calls to the headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan. They have a pilot plant on the ground floor where they build the advanced concept vehicles. They even have a high-bank test track out the back door to run the cars. I often see advanced production cars driving around the HQ and surrounding communities with those bra like cover-ups so the engineers can take the cars home without disclosing the secret additions to the platform, usually the front and rear end.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh ya, would u risk a 50-100k a year to be the guy with the first pic. Not me!
Well, I certainly wouldn't, but with thousands of people working there, with almost everyone carrying a digital camera/video camera (cellphones) the chance someone would be tempted, must be high. Unless they forbid cellphones on the factory floor?

srg

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
Things are even more strict after the Cherokee picture was posted
After the Cherokee pic was leaked, I stopped posting on on a couple of other forums I'm on, as I was worried they'd blame me for it.

In the end it turned out to be a contractor working on the building.

Well, I certainly wouldn't, but with thousands of people working there, with almost everyone carrying a digital camera/video camera (cellphones) the chance someone would be tempted, must be high. Unless they forbid cellphones on the factory floor?

srg
Cellphones are not forbidden. Taking pics in the plant is, for the most part.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Nope the Brampton plant has built pretty much all the pilots you have seen running around.
So, what you're saying is that the cars at the unveiling came right off the assembly line with no additional prep other than cleaning and polishing? If so, things sure have changed since my day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts