Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stopped at so many different gas stations looking for 93 octane. Best I can find around here is 91 oct. I've tried Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Mobile, Phillips 66, and everything else I can think of.

Is there any place more likely to have 93 oct?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have stopped at so many different gas stations looking for 93 octane. Best I can find around here is 91 oct. I've tried Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Mobile, Phillips 66, and everything else I can think of.

Is there any place more likely to have 93 oct?
You must go EAST.

Jack

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
In Texas I can't find 91 octane, 89 or 93, I mix half and half to get 91 for my tuner.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must go EAST.

Jack

LOL....thats what I dont get. You guys back east can hardly find a stretch of road that you can over 45 mph.....lol. I took a road trip to AZ this past weekend and did about 800 miles at about 82 mph +..........when passing.......shhhhhh :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,805 Posts
You don't have Sunoco there?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
You need to move to the east coast if you want 93 octane gas.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have Sunoco there?
You need to move to the east coast if you want 93 octane gas.

Thanks GreatAmerican, I was stationed in Norfolk back in the late 70's and early 80's while I was in the Navy. I liked VA......but I think I'll stay put here in NM. Guess I'll just have to live with 91 oct.

I do remember seeing Sunoco here in the past but cant remember seeing them here recently....thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember not being able to find 93 when I was out in NM. If I remember correctly I think elevation plays into it somehow and you don't need the higher octane fuels since the air is thinner, so they don't sell it.

From Wikipedia:
"In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel[citation needed]. The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally-aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available [4]. In Colorado as well as parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available [5]. Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI[citation needed] . California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 AKI (91, 93 and 95 RON) octane fuels, and at some stations, 100 AKI or higher octane, sold as racing fuel."

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
just got 93 yesterday from Amaco

the problem in my area isnt the 93 octane, its finding it w/o ethanol....im in a ethanol enforcement area and they Cant sell gas w/o it in the 2 county's near me

·
Registered
461 Posts
LOL....thats what I dont get. You guys back east can hardly find a stretch of road that you can over 45 mph.....lol. I took a road trip to AZ this past weekend and did about 800 miles at about 82 mph +..........when passing.......shhhhhh :bigthumb:
That's easy. In the east we aren't blessed with long open stretches of roads, so we must make up the time loss with hard accelerations. We obviously need the higher octane.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Every station I've been to in VA has 93, excepting Martins (Giant) food stores with gas pumps; they max out at 91.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember not being able to find 93 when I was out in NM. If I remember correctly I think elevation plays into it somehow and you don't need the higher octane fuels since the air is thinner, so they don't sell it.

From Wikipedia:
"In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel[citation needed]. The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally-aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available [4]. In Colorado as well as parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available [5]. Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI[citation needed] . California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 AKI (91, 93 and 95 RON) octane fuels, and at some stations, 100 AKI or higher octane, sold as racing fuel."

Ah ha....This makes alot of sense. Most people don't know it but Denver is not the only mile high city. Albuquerque is also over a mile high. We also do not reach temps of 100 degrees and over as often as Denver. Typically I see either 86, 88, & 90 octane or 87, 89, and 91 octane offered here. My car seems to run well on either 90 or 91. Not as well on the lower octane fuels.

Thanks for the input TitaniumHemi.......:)

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I get it every were here in northern Louisiana but when I was concerned about if I can get it on the trip to CF2 someone (I think Flat top) suggested I get Aces Four octain booster and if I can't find 93 octane I can just add that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't doubt the elevation thing, but the odd thing about it is engines run more efficiently as close to sea level as you can get. So all you folks out there about a mile high aren't making the power or getting the mileage us folks at the lower levels are.

Of course, when the asteroid hits in the Atlantic, we'll wish we were up there with you.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
You must go EAST.

Jack
Yep.. we have 93 everywhere.
A few of the bobo local mini markets have some 92 swill
Only Sunoco has 91... and 93. but they dropped the 94 when the ethanol piss water hit us.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yep.. we have 93 everywhere.
A few of the bobo local mini markets have some 92 swill
Only Sunoco has 91... and 93. but they dropped the 94 when the ethanol piss water hit us.
Yep, we have 93 octane, no front plate requirement, and cheap registration fees. But we do have 10% ethanol and some of the worse maintained roads in the nation!!!

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I would like to see the ethanol laced gasoline to dissapear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All our stations Maryland have 93. Can't get your car out of 2nd gear (thank you Sammy Hagar) for all the traffic but you can get the good swill. As someone said its all 10% ethanol. For me the only thing the ethanol has ever screwed up is my lawn mower.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All our stations Maryland have 93. Can't get your car out of 2nd gear (thank you Sammy Hagar) for all the traffic but you can get the good swill. As someone said its all 10% ethanol. For me the only thing the ethanol has ever screwed up is my lawn mower.
That's easy. In the east we aren't blessed with long open stretches of roads, so we must make up the time loss with hard accelerations. We obviously need the higher octane.

Thanks for all the input guys......The 91 oct is probably more than adequate for this elevation. Did some reading on the subject and TitaniumHemi is right.....the 93 doesn't make alot of sense at this elevation. Not even sure it would help alot at the track. noz34me is right too we probably dont make as much power or torque at this elevation....but everyone here is in the same boat.

I love it here.....wouldn't live anywhere else. Great open roads, no front plate, no extreme traffic, cheap registration, mild winters, no earthquakes, floods, tornados, blizzards, mud slides, avalanches, hurricanes, and rarely fires, exteme heat, or cold. Plus if youre the outdoors type (like me) great flyfishing, excellent hunting opportunities and just a great wild place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts