Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I did a couple of cross-country trips in the last three years. I agree with those who say that the octane of the gas available has to do with elevation. Anytime I was in areas out west that were up in the air a bit, the octane of the gas was down several points. I had no trouble running that gas as the air is less dense and you are less likely to run into trouble with detonation, etc. The car (not my Challenger, BTW) was noticeably slower, though. Not due to the gas - due to the air. Now that I think of it, I was slower, too!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys......The 91 oct is probably more than adequate for this elevation. Did some reading on the subject and TitaniumHemi is right.....the 93 doesn't make alot of sense at this elevation. Not even sure it would help alot at the track. noz34me is right too we probably dont make as much power or torque at this elevation....but everyone here is in the same boat.
Awesome. I bought my challenger then drove it across the country, lived in Albuquerque for about 6 months before moving back east. The scenery out there is awesome. I will say once I got back down in elevation a few thousand feet the car had much more to give, but at that elevation everything's gonna be a little slower.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys......The 91 oct is probably more than adequate for this elevation. Did some reading on the subject and TitaniumHemi is right.....the 93 doesn't make alot of sense at this elevation. Not even sure it would help alot at the track. noz34me is right too we probably dont make as much power or torque at this elevation....but everyone here is in the same boat.

I love it here.....wouldn't live anywhere else. Great open roads, no front plate, no extreme traffic, cheap registration, mild winters, no earthquakes, floods, tornados, blizzards, mud slides, avalanches, hurricanes, and rarely fires, exteme heat, or cold. Plus if youre the outdoors type (like me) great flyfishing, excellent hunting opportunities and just a great wild place.

Awesome pic of a Jaguar! Did you take that?!?! I know there have been a couple new sightings of them in Arizona and New Mexico in recent years, as they are coming up from Mexico.

JFF:D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
just got 93 yesterday from Amaco

the problem in my area isnt the 93 octane, its finding it w/o ethanol....im in a ethanol enforcement area and they Cant sell gas w/o it in the 2 county's near me
Almost 100% of country's gas has 10% ethanol. It's mandated by our fckup congress and EPA. Now I hear 15% is coming around the corner.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
In Pittsburgh, PA, you can find 93 octane everywhere.

But the roads SUCK!

you can find it here in Louisiana and the roads suck here too.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Awesome pic of a Jaguar! Did you take that?!?! I know there have been a couple new sightings of them in Arizona and New Mexico in recent years, as they are coming up from Mexico.

For real, that seems crazy close if thats your picture. Especially the dogs haha...

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

For real, that seems crazy close if thats your picture. Especially the dogs haha...
No,.... unfortunately I did not take that picture. A gentleman named Warren Glenn took that picture. He has seen more Jaguars than anyone else in the country. The pic was taken down in the "bootheel" of NM. He had his dogs out on a mountain lion but they ended up treeing this Jaguar. Of course he took a few pics and then pulled off his dogs and the big cat strode off. Heres a couple more pics.

Yes..... if you've ever been around lion hounds they are incredibly brave dogs.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
No,.... unfortunately I did not take that picture. A gentleman named Warren Glenn took that picture. He has seen more Jaguars than anyone else in the country. The pic was taken down in the "bootheel" of NM. He had his dogs out on a mountain lion but they ended up treeing this Jaguar. Of course he took a few pics and then pulled off his dogs and the big cat strode off. Heres a couple more pics.

Yes..... if you've ever been around lion hounds they are incredibly brave dogs.

Awesome! Thanks for the update. But after digging a little more, I think you meant Warner Glenn. :D

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Awesome! Thanks for the update. But after digging a little more, I think you meant Warner Glenn. :D

I stand corrected. I was going off memory. It is Warner.....Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Almost 100% of country's gas has 10% ethanol. It's mandated by our fckup congress and EPA. Now I hear 15% is coming around the corner.
Yep... Kill gas mileage (thus needing to burn even more) all in the name of saving the polar bear.
Our cars hit a clean sweet spot years ago... everything since has been politically motivated environmental extremism.
Using the EPA to regulate insane rules that congress could NEVER get passed.

And do it with a food crop to boot... for double dose of insanity.
Idiocracy... rent it... for we are about to live it.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Tequila is going to be on a shortage very soon. They started converting alot of the crops to ethanol because its an easier buck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Southwest Illinois has 91 or 93 octane premium depending on brand. Right across the Mississippi in Missouri (St. Louis area) I've only seen 93 octane premium. R/T 6 speed owner's manual says "minimum 91 octane", but I usually buy in Missouri for the 18 cent cheaper price,(lower taxes), and get 93 octane to boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In central, east coast Florida 93 octane is everywhere, but we also have ethanol-only at the gas stations. I've had to go to marinas to get ethanol-free gas for my boat, because if this junk sits too long and separates it creates all kinds of problems.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
ViChris, bro, Excellent cat ! I have 5 Arkansas Bear kills. 250 to 375lbs. At our camp we have 4 or 5 records now. Muzzle loader to recurve bow, and cross bow, records. None of mine though I have 5 nice clean one shot kills.
Back to octane in NWA we have 91 with corn added. Philips 66 has straight gas but only 91 oct. I been trying diffrent octane / axcellerator products.
Being Im a freak ! Ill watch/log with Mr Trinity anytime I fire the car. (Anytime) As said, a freak.
I watch timing with diffrent fuels, since going SC it really make a huge diffrence.
The sunco fuel is all I have, tryed tanks and tanks of 94 and 104. Seeing just how the diffrent fuels and oct ratings pulls timing, I firmly convinced by real data to keep 12 deg of total timing at wot I need 98oct with 6lbs boost with 90 deg ambient and IAT running at 120 deg. I run 104 at track and it pulls NO timing. Anything less than 98oct, with the above criteria will pull a deg at times. Mine will pull timing bad using 91oct. 93/94 oct gives me some retard, 1/2 to 1 deg.
How some make 800rwhp on 91 oct, I have No idea !1!!!!! snake oil maybe ?
Looking for a way to get more oct. without paying 4.85gal for 94 and 6.85 for 104
I been using Torco, and dont like a tar residue it leaves when you just light it by itself and burn. I checked the MSD sheet and it 61% OIL. Why we install a catch can right, keep oil out of the intake. Torco does bump oct very well.
Aces 4 using 91 bumps it to 96oct if you got 98 it bump to 104. Problem with recommended dose. Im getting timing pulled showing me its around 96 oct from the 91. Gas now days is so dry and to mention all the EPA added chemicals added, alcohol makes it even dryer. Aces 4 I found when burned leaves a dry / wet lubericant,. I really like that, no sticky tar. Aces raises the BTU factor in fuel. I sugesst you guys really look at it.
Now, if I had 93oct Id be in like flint with the aces 4. Im consulting with Quantum Blue the maker of aces 4, to see if I can get the chemical added to bump oct up another 2 points id be set.
This is my take on it.
FlatTop

·
Registered
9 Posts
LOL....thats what I dont get. You guys back east can hardly find a stretch of road that you can over 45 mph.....lol. I took a road trip to AZ this past weekend and did about 800 miles at about 82 mph +..........when passing.......shhhhhh :bigthumb:

Phhhttt.....I average that on the run up I-26 in my pick up truck....on a wet day.

93 ethanol free just down the street from my house.

For my real hotrods it's sunoco purple with the 93 ethanol free 50/50.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts