Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 scatpack with the alpine system. Since day 1 ive had no bass what so ever. Im wondering if I received a bad amp from the start. Can someone tell me where the location of the amp is and is there a way to test is? (Have not bought a chiltons manual yet...I know)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How'd you wire the amp/sub?

The factory amp should be in the driver's footwell above the dead pedal (from memory).

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,523 Posts
I would but I added a amp and a single 12 a few months ago
How does the aftermarket amp get its signals from the car’s h/u or amp?

The factory amp is located behind the knee bolster below the steering wheel. At least it used to be, I’m assuming that hasn’t changed.

I’ve never heard of a car being delivered with a faulty amplifier like that though. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but it would be very unlikely for it to.

EDIT: according to @landoawd, the factory amp location has changed.

Reactions: ivey_usmc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does the aftermarket amp get its signals from the car’s h/u or amp?

The factory amp is located behind the knee bolster below the steering wheel. At least it used to be, I’m assuming that hasn’t changed.

I’ve never heard of a car being delivered with a faulty amplifier like that though. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but it would be very unlikely for it to.

EDIT: according to @landoawd, the factory amp location has changed.

Line out converter in the trunk

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Line out converter in the trunk
Tapped off one or both of the rear deck speakers, correct?

That should be fine. I’ve done the same in previous Challengers without issue.

Is the gain level(s) on the LOC set correctly? Amp?

What about the LPF on the amp, what is it set to, 80/100 hz?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tapped off one or both of the rear deck speakers, correct?

That should be fine. I’ve done the same in previous Challengers without issue.

Is the gain level(s) on the LOC set correctly? Amp?

What about the LPF on the amp, what is it set to, 80/100 hz?
I need to check the LPF but the issue is the oem amp in the car. Zero bass from day 1.

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Not being able to hear any bass could be lots of things. The stock speakers aren’t going to be able to play much bass. Start at the beginning and knock out the low hanging fruit.

1) What is the audio source, MP3, online streaming audio, etc.? Find a lossless audio file with lots of bass and save to USB. Now you know the source is good.
2) Find and tap individual speaker wires after h/u and before amp, power a known good aftermarket speaker. Any bass output now? If no, go to 3.
3) Perform step 2 but on speaker wires coming out of amp. Any bass now? If no, move onto the hard stuff.
4) Acquire a RTA or its equivalent phone app plus microphone and start plotting the frequencies at each speaker. Any have bass; none have bass? React accordingly...

There should be a fuse for the amp in your trunk’s PDC. Pull that and see if any sound comes from speakers. If so, has it changed at all?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts