Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said to buy it from a speed shop and they would install it.

Looking for a 3.92
My car is an Auto. so if anyone thinks this is not a good choice please let me know and why?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I put the 3.91 in my 09 SRT8 and it was great. MPG was about 16/18 around town and 20/21 on the interstate at 75/80 mph. I run 12.71 in the 1/4 and a blast to drive.
If it was mine I would do that and put a 3200/3400 Converter in it. It would run about 12.2 where I'm at and that should be about 11.9 or so anywhere else.
Hope you get it worked out, check out some of my old post under LURCH!!!!

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
My dealer said to buy it from a speed shop and they would install it.

Looking for a 3.92
My car is an Auto. so if anyone thinks this is not a good choice please let me know and why?
I think Steve White Parts had the entire pumpkin for under $800.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't think you can just buy the gear set. At least you couldn't when I done mine about 3 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
What's my advantage to buying a whole pumkin, versus only the Ring and Pinion?
You're going to have to pay a shop to set up the R & P for correct lash and preload, so factoring the cost of parts and labor it may cost about the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
It sounds like he has an '11 SRT (auto) with the 3.06, so he'd already have the LSD clutches in his existing unit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like he has an '11 SRT (auto) with the 3.06, so he'd already have the LSD clutches in his existing unit.
What is LSD and how does it affect my 2011 SRT, Automatic, gear change?

I was very surprised when the dealer said buy the gear from a speed shop, not them. He never said they do not carry the ring and pinion or you need to buy an entire pumkin.

So concensus is, buy the complete pumkin???
Or just look for the gear?

I was quoted $500 for the dealer to install the gear.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
What is LSD and how does it affect my 2011 SRT, Automatic, gear change?

I was very surprised when the dealer said buy the gear from a speed shop, not them. He never said they do not carry the ring and pinion or you need to buy an entire pumkin.

So concensus is, buy the complete pumkin???
Or just look for the gear?

I was quoted $500 for the dealer to install the gear.

Thank you.
All SRTs ['09-present] with either 'auto/'stick have Limited Slip Differentials - if you were going to have a shop change the R & P, the clutches for the LSD are already in the existing unit, one less assembly to purchase.

If you're going the way of changing out the center section (complete unit), then you're all set.

All the Getrag 226mm diffs are LSD.
-SRT models
-R/T 6-speed
-R/T 'auto (if ordered w/ Anti-Spin axle)

The SXT and R/T 'auto base axles are the 215mm axle and don't have LSD available. Also applies to the base SXT 198mm axle as well.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^ Some good info, thanks.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
And heres a pro .... buy the pumpkin for about $800 then you can sell yours to some one with a 2008-2010 challenger that is FI cause they all want the lsd with the 3.06 gearing ... i sold mine for $400 and it sold to the first person i asked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts