Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing about living in the Northeast you get plenty of time to do some R & D (research and deciding) for your ride. The car is put away until the spring and now is the time to pick "your" brains.
I own a 2010 R/T Challenger and I plan to put an average of 10K miles on it a year (I bought it to drive it). Ultimately I would like to have the car in the ballpark of 500HP. :smokin:
So I guess my first question is turbocharged or supercharged keeping in mind that this car is going to be driven alot. And of coarse I don't want to affect my warranty, yet!
I would like to head in the right direction come spring.
Any "input" to get the "output" would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
HHP stage 2R head and cam, and you'll be there and have a nice save very fast car

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I bet a turbo or supercharger is pretty much going to void your drivetrain warranty unless the vendor provides a warranty.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
... And of coarse I don't want to affect my warranty, yet!
^^What CamaroChevy said is right. Your not going to get 500hp and not kill your warranty. Doesn't mean you can't safely get there with a conservative boost level or head/cam combination but either of those is going to send the warranty papers up in smoke.

I've got the same problem (oh but what a nice problem it is). I have a 2010 R/T and have debated a blower, kicked around a head/cam package and then weight it against killing the warranty or changing the ability to get in the car and drive across the country without worries.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just a heads up to both of you thinking about adding power to your rides. Granted, I voided the hell out of my warranty, but I did a super charger, and never looked back. I have done multiple trips in the 6 hour plus range (non stop) and have had zero issues, and am enjoying the power in crease

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Now your talking my language I went the turbo route first 09R/T to do this the kit was from STS. Now you will have some fabrication depending on if your running headers and high flow cats. With the stock motor I had 489rwhp, improved gas mileage on the highway and never a problem with drivability we ran at 5.6psi and the car was a blast to drive. Biggest thing that I can say is make sure the tuner knows what he's doing. The guys on the forum that met me in April know I drive it anywhere I have even been caught in a snow storm no issues with ambient temperatures 102 to 28 degrees F

As for the warranty you will lose the engine portion but all the rest will be intact it also helps if you have a dealership that is willing to work with you get to know the service managers and parts managers.

One thing about living in the Northeast you get plenty of time to do some R & D (research and deciding) for your ride. The car is put away until the spring and now is the time to pick "your" brains.
I own a 2010 R/T Challenger and I plan to put an average of 10K miles on it a year (I bought it to drive it). Ultimately I would like to have the car in the ballpark of 500HP. :smokin:
So I guess my first question is turbocharged or supercharged keeping in mind that this car is going to be driven alot. And of coarse I don't want to affect my warranty, yet!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Probably your best bang for the buck is going to be some form of Forced Induction. We have a complete bolt on supercharger system (including tuning) for your car that runs a safe and reliable 6psi of boost and yields you an additional 120 hp at the rear wheels. This puts the 5.7L R/T in the 450-470 rwhp range (depending on the dyno and conditions of the day). The way the s/c is designed, the vehicle will drive like stock when just cruising around town yet have the ability to deliver large amounts of torque at very low rpms. On top of all of that, our s/c has a 3year Limited warranty on the supercharger itself and we have an optional Powertrain Warranty with coverage up to 5 years/100k miles. If you want some more info, feel free to call me at 805-642-8833 x255.

·
Vendor
935 Posts
With the vvt 5.7's forced induction, at least so far, has really been the only proven way to make some good power on this motor. We're stilling working out the NA stuff and I haven't been impressed with anything on the market as far as keeping it naturally aspirated and with-warranty that justifies the price spent - i.e. I don't believe vvt heads and cam will net you any worthwhile results.

To hit 500+ hp mark at the flywheel on a 5.7L (I'm assuming the dyno graph above is from a 6.1L motor based off the rwhp numbers) you're going to have to go forced induction which will instantly void your factory powertrain warranty. All of the kits on the market for the most part are good and you'll just need a really good tuner to keep it safe and get the most power out of it. If you're not looking to push it, I wouldn't recommend going over 6psi on the stock bottom end due to the pistons and compression ratio. You should be able to run a blower for a long time and keep it safe within reason as long as you take care of the car, perform scheduled service and don't overly abuse the crap out of the car.

If you have any questions, please give us a call as well - we're right over the NJ-DE border from you.

Joshua, HHP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts