Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, looking to find a black spoiler for my R/T plus. I opted to order a vehicle and I didnt want the blacktop package for many reasons but I do love the look of the satin black spoiler. So I am wondering where to find these? I dont want aftermarket, I want OEM. Ideas?

OR, does anyone think it would be cheaper to ask a body shop to paint the granite spoiler satin black?

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Have you considered getting the original spoiler wrapped in satin black? I imagine that would cost much less than buying a new spoiler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered getting the original spoiler wrapped in satin black? I imagine that would cost much less than buying a new spoiler.

That is a good idea. I wonder if they would wrap such a small piece. I have never had anything wrapped so I will have to inquire. Thanks for suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
I painted mine three cans of satin black krylon paint plus primer.Removed it from car,scuffed it with 400 sandpaper,wiped down with 90% isopropyl alcohol.No issues.Did it two years ago.Just scuff it,clean it thoroughly,many light coats so it does not run.

20160801_074840.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted mine three cans of satin black krylon paint plus primer.Removed it from car,scuffed it with 400 sandpaper,wiped down with 90% isopropyl alcohol.No issues.Did it two years ago.Just scuff it,clean it thoroughly,many light coats so it does not run.
Wow, that looks amazing. Did you already have experience with painting car parts? Just curious how difficult it was to make it look like it wasnt rattle canned. That is a very inexpensive option and if I can pull it off, I want to go that route.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not difficult.Mask off the camera lens if you have one.It will take many light coats.Clean very thoroughly with the alcohol as cant have any wax on it.I cleaned it,lightly sanded with the 400 sandpaper,cleaned it again.The first two or three coats you kind of lightly fog the spoiler and let dry a few minutes in between.On subsequent coats just start at.one end and go back and forth but dont stop spraying until you are past the edge of the spoiler.I removed mine from the car which requires a little effort.There are posts on here how to do that.I sat mine up om heavy plastic cups so I could get the lower edges better.I know some have done it with them on the car and masked off the car.Remember it will take alot of light coats to cover and get the finish you want.When it really starts looking how you want do a couple more good wet coats but not too heavy then leave it alone for 24 hours.Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
558 Posts
Not difficult.Mask off the camera lens if you have one.It will take many light coats.Clean very thoroughly with the alcohol as cant have any wax on it.I cleaned it,lightly sanded with the 400 sandpaper,cleaned it again.The first two or three coats you kind of lightly fog the spoiler and let dry a few minutes in between.On subsequent coats just start at.one end and go back and forth but dont stop spraying until you are past the edge of the spoiler.I removed mine from the car which requires a little effort.There are posts on here how to do that.I sat mine up om heavy plastic cups so I could get the lower edges better.I know some have done it with them on the car and masked off the car.Remember it will take alot of light coats to cover and get the finish you want.When it really starts looking how you want do a couple more good wet coats but not too heavy then leave it alone for 24 hours.Good luck.
Bit of an old thread but.......Did you use a clearcoat on it?
I am going to get my spoiler painted as well. Quoted $200 for Satin(dont want Matte) or even a Mettallic Black if i want. Thinking of doing that to be different. Two coats of paint and clearcoat. They will remove and install back on.

I thought about doing the can but im sure to get a run in it lol. Might cost only $45 but thinking a clearcoat is nice to have as well. I do have the time to do it.
I dont think $200 is bad though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,680 Posts
They do make satin clear coat

A Guy

Reactions: SFCR
1 - 8 of 8 Posts