Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to install a water/meth kit on my stock 2011 SRT8. For now, the engine is stock, but will likely have a 75 shot of nitrous via a throttle body plate system in the future.

My question specifically is where to install the water/meth nozzle relative to the IAT sensor. I know that most manufacturers recommend certain spacing from the throttle body, but no mention about the IAT.
My hunch is to install it before the IAT. That way, the mixture cools the intake and the sensor, thus preventing the computer from pulling timing= performance gain due to fooling the car into thinking it is operating in "cool" air..

To install the nozzle after the IAT, it will still cool the intake, but the IAT will still sense only the hot air and will pull timing seemingly negating any benefits of the cooling the intake.

My concern with installing the nozzle before the IAT is what would happen if under acceleration, the water/meth system failed? Would the computer be able to detect the sudden warm air and adjust timing before any engine damage would occur? What about the IAT sensor itself, would spraying it with the water/meth damage it in any way?
Any advice is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
143 Posts
I have mine installed between the air filter and the TB, about half way. I can watch the IAT temp drop during a run and see no evidence that it affects the timing or fuel at WOT. If it does it is not much. The sensor itself does not seem to be affected, KJ392 has been putting near straight methanol on it from time to time without any issues.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It seems placing the nozzle before the IAT can work. How much of an IAT temperature drop are you guys actually seeing with the water/meth? Some manufactureres are claiming 50 to 100 degree reduction in IAT! What say you?

Thanks again..

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
143 Posts
You know, I screwed up and on the log I have I monitored intake manifold temp instead of IAT and have no idea where that sensor is...but it went from 158F at the start to 78F at the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts