Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a completely stock 2015 M6 RT 5.7 and I want to dive into doing some performance mods. I'm not all that interested in taking the car to the track. It's currently more of a fun weekend car, and not a DD. I'd like to beef up the HP a bit, and I'm into the idea of supercharging it, but I'm getting some conflicting advice from two area shops on where to start. Oh, and I live in CA, so CARB legal is a must.

Shop A is recommending swapping out the exhaust with 6.1 exhaust manifold or aftermarket shorties, as well as 2.75"-3" cat back. That coupled with a tune, they are claiming will get me about a 100 HP gain. From everything I've read, that seems pretty optimistic. Those mods typically get half that much gain?

Shop B is recommending to just go for the supercharger first. They are claiming that upgrading the headers will produce little benefit, and if anything, will mess up the canned tune from the supercharger kit (in this case Whipple), since it is made to be bolted on to a stock engine. Is this correct? Wouldn't you just get a custom tune in that case?

So, where would you guys start first? Which shop is correct?

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
You'll get 100+ HP easily with FI. Not cheap, and FWIW, there's a thread about Whipple owners that aren't happy about the rattling noise at idle.

If I were going the FI route, I would highly consider a Maggie.

The shop that said headers and mids would give you a100 HP increase is full of BS.

Lose their address.

Reactions: Drag City

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll get 100+ HP easily with FI. Not cheap, and FWIW, there's a thread about Whipple owners that aren't happy about the rattling noise at idle.

If I were going the FI route, I would highly consider a Maggie.

The shop that said headers and mids would give you a100 HP increase is full of BS.

Lose their address.
Good to know about the Whipple. I’ll check that out, thanks!

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
And phone #, that place is definitely talking out their tailpipe, 100 hp, what a joke....

HOT ROD ON

Lol, and their tailpipes are oversized duals, with no mufflers!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Shop A is recommending swapping out the exhaust with 6.1 exhaust manifold or aftermarket shorties, as well as 2.75"-3" cat back. That coupled with a tune, they are claiming will get me about a 100 HP gain. From everything I've read, that seems pretty optimistic. Those mods typically get half that much gain? So, where would you guys start first? Which shop is correct?

Scatpack gained a total of only 20 HP and 20 lbs of torque by installing the following. That equates to some really expensive HP in my book....

Air Raid intake
Hellcat 92 mm TB
Long tube headers
High flow cats
Custom tune

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
179 Posts
I recommend the Maggie SC below If you want to MOD and live in cali. I installed mine back early this year and driven over 5k miles and still running strong. The kit comes complete + CARB sticker. Contact Luke at SteveWhiteMotors.

Hi all,

I have a completely stock 2015 M6 RT 5.7 and I want to dive into doing some performance mods. I'm not all that interested in taking the car to the track. It's currently more of a fun weekend car, and not a DD. I'd like to beef up the HP a bit, and I'm into the idea of supercharging it, but I'm getting some conflicting advice from two area shops on where to start. Oh, and I live in CA, so CARB legal is a must.

Shop A is recommending swapping out the exhaust with 6.1 exhaust manifold or aftermarket shorties, as well as 2.75"-3" cat back. That coupled with a tune, they are claiming will get me about a 100 HP gain. From everything I've read, that seems pretty optimistic. Those mods typically get half that much gain?

Shop B is recommending to just go for the supercharger first. They are claiming that upgrading the headers will produce little benefit, and if anything, will mess up the canned tune from the supercharger kit (in this case Whipple), since it is made to be bolted on to a stock engine. Is this correct? Wouldn't you just get a custom tune in that case?

So, where would you guys start first? Which shop is correct?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,775 Posts
Scatpack gained a total of only 20 HP and 20 lbs of torque by installing the following. That equates to some really expensive HP in my book....

Air Raid intake
Hellcat 92 mm TB
Long tube headers
High flow cats
Custom tune

HOT ROD ON
Wow I was looking at long tubes and a tune on my 5.7l from OST Dyno. I think I will just live with my car the way it is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow I was looking at long tubes and a tune on my 5.7l from OST Dyno. I think I will just live with my car the way it is.
Depending on how far one would like to go , they are all just pieces of the puzzle.
On a 5.7 - I’d do a gear swap[3.09/3.70/3.90] all have lsd , a srv intake manifold , a set of equal length long tubes(mine cost me 163$ for the headers and ~600$ for everything[mids/gaskets/o2ext/hardware]I needed for the install), a true cai or a hellcat bottom, and a solid tune. That should have a 5.7 in the mid -high 12’s. A little diet doesn’t hurt either on these boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Step One: Drive SCAT to dealer
Step Two: Trade SCAT for Hellcat

You need forged pistons before you do anything, otherwise it's all a waste of time and money to risk popping a ringland.

So right off the bat, your pulling the engine and tossing in $700 pistons. But, now we are this far, so might as well do springs, lifters, pushrods, cam, Hellcat oil pump, headstuds, rods, all new bearings, machine work and gaskets...

So we're $5-6,500 into it.

Then your need a blower, fuel system, tuning software, dyno time and prays your stock A8 doesn't pop. That's all pushing $10k of you can't do it on your own.

So we're now $15-17k, still stock tranny and barely a making 650-700whp?

I keep hoping we get to a point where we some of those Street Outlaw Boyz giving the Hemi the old 5.3 treatment. File open some piston rings, DIY welding, a Nagasaki Noisemaker, 1300cc Injectors and a crap ton of corn.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Step One: Drive SCAT to dealer
Step Two: Trade SCAT for Hellcat

You need forged pistons before you do anything, otherwise it's all a waste of time and money to risk popping a ringland.

So right off the bat, your pulling the engine and tossing in $700 pistons. But, now we are this far, so might as well do springs, lifters, pushrods, cam, Hellcat oil pump, headstuds, rods, all new bearings, machine work and gaskets...

So we're $5-6,500 into it.

Then your need a blower, fuel system, tuning software, dyno time and prays your stock A8 doesn't pop. That's all pushing $10k of you can't do it on your own.

So we're now $15-17k, still stock tranny and barely a making 650-700whp?

I keep hoping we get to a point where we some of those Street Outlaw Boyz giving the Hemi the old 5.3 treatment. File open some piston rings, DIY welding, a Nagasaki Noisemaker, 1300cc Injectors and a crap ton of corn.
OP has a 5.7 , however if you take a scat , and do all or most things you mention , with the correct blower, you can make far more power than a hellcat. I’d say 20-25k(where I estimate my build will be, I’m at about 12k now NA) trans included ~30k if you do a 9” conversion and you have a 9 second reliable car that is far more unique than your off the floor hellcat. My .02 I’d rather build it than buy it. Go buy a hellcat ...... take all the fun/work out of hot rodding, sounds almost millennial..... the easy way.
Also let’s not forget ~200-300$ more of a monthly payment and ~60-100$ more monthly for insurance for a hellcat, to be , another guy with a hellcat. No thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
OP has a 5.7 , however if you take a scat , and do all or most things you mention , with the correct blower, you can make far more power than a hellcat. I’d say 20-25k(where I estimate my build will be, I’m at about 12k now NA) trans included ~30k if you do a 9” conversion and you have a 9 second reliable car that is far more unique than your off the floor hellcat. My .02 I’d rather build it than buy it. Go buy a hellcat ...... take all the fun/work out of hot rodding, sounds almost millennial..... the easy way.
Also let’s not forget ~200-300$ more of a monthly payment and ~60-100$ more monthly for insurance for a hellcat, to be , another guy with a hellcat. No thanks

Why not start with a Dodge Stratus at that point?

Sounds like you are taking the easy way out starting with a RWD Challenger.

A Hellcat is only $16/month more for me on insurance. Also, you are talking 20-30k cash in mods, Hellcat, as you mentioned is just a few hundred more a month. Lastly, resale, you sell the Hellcat, you get used HC money. Sell a wacked out mod-monster, you may struggle to get stock prices.

Depending on the car and mods, you'll hit a wall that anyone interested can't pay in cash and the car can't be financed. You end up giving it away to just get rid of it.

It's all relative.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Yep, modding is for self satisfaction.

One has to be mechanically inclined, have the workspace, plenty of money, and a ton of patience.

You and you only will "own" the build, good and bad.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
851 Posts
Trade it for an SRT...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with what's being said above, if you want 100HP, trade it in for a scat pack. Going FI will cost you far more money than that trade-in, if you want to do it right by swapping internals for forged/upfitted for FI. Otherwise your reliability factor goes down substantially and you can pretty much bank on having an engine failure of some sort down the road.

Exhaust+tune+intake+headers will make your car sound badass and give you 30-40RWHP if you're running a 93 octane tune. If that isn't enough for you, I recommend you just trade in for a scat and get it over with, you'll be happy you did.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,635 Posts
Plus if you trade on something more recent, you may get upgrades not on a 15, like phone integration, more warranty as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
With a 2018 you get Android Auto and you can stream Tidal lossless high fidelity music right to your car speakers which is rad if you ask me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why not start with a Dodge Stratus at that point?

Sounds like you are taking the easy way out starting with a RWD Challenger.

A Hellcat is only $16/month more for me on insurance. Also, you are talking 20-30k cash in mods, Hellcat, as you mentioned is just a few hundred more a month. Lastly, resale, you sell the Hellcat, you get used HC money. Sell a wacked out mod-monster, you may struggle to get stock prices.

Depending on the car and mods, you'll hit a wall that anyone interested can't pay in cash and the car can't be financed. You end up giving it away to just get rid of it.

It's all relative.

This meme is how I feel every time I see a hellcat...... see , nobody cares. Ps - resale on cats is terrible.
Like stated above , a build is for self satisfaction and pride. However, at a show if I see two cars , one’s a cat and one’s a built (anything) , I won’t be looking at the cat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts