Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I'm a new member and a new Dodge owner. After a year of looking I finally ran across a 2013 Challenger RT Hemi with 22k on the odometer and a bunch of chrome under the hood at a price that was irresistible. From what I can tell there was little to no performance modification done. I have experience with racing mods in the past (1987 Buick GN) but was wondering if there was anything specific you would recommend? Happy to be a part of this community. Apart from owning a Demon I can't think of a car that I'd reasonably rather have. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
If you are going to do serious mods, headers, cam, bigger Throttle Body get a tuner first. If you are not doing more than a cat back, CAI, look into the Scat Pack 1 PCM or maybe the whole Scat Pack 1 package, it has the PCM, cat back and CAI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Chally, I'll definitely read up. I was incredibly unsuccessful in talking the wife into a supercharger last night so we will definitely be starting small and working our way up!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Thanks guys! Chally, I'll definitely read up. I was incredibly unsuccessful in talking the wife into a supercharger last night so we will definitely be starting small and working our way up!
I hear ya man, that is significant coin to drop on a car...definitely enough for a really nice vacation. I have coworkers that raz me about how much I spent on the SC...funny thing is, you should hear what they spend on craft brews...good Lord!

Can't go wrong with headers (long tubes will yield more power on an NA engine) and a good tune though. I bought my headers just before xmas 20% off and free shipping. Good luck!

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMO, make a solid plan, and stick to it. Once you figure out what kind of power you want to make, you should be able to find decent power adders in the for sale forums (people change directions all of the time). I've done decently with my build by buying smartly, both used and new. I have no idea how much power my car is actually making, but I know that I've dropped nearly 3 seconds off my 1/4 in under a year. Still have more to go, (as is always the case) but I'm close to my goal..... Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Begin with a tuner. Even with a stock engine, a custom tune could yield 15-20hp. The canned tunes that come with the tuner will give you 10-15hp. Next is headers. Long tubes are the best but cost the most and will require new mid pipes so a bigger investment. But... They're just as hard to install as shorties so might as well go big! Long tubes with high flow catted (or non cats since you're in SC) mids and a custom tune is good for 30-35hp on a stock 5.7. That will be your biggest "bolt on" gain. Next: cam and heads...

You mentioned chrome under the hood. Any pics? Would be interesting to see what's been added to your car already.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Do you have a catch can. That's where I started and stopped. Engine wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet. I enjoy the look of the cover, although I may switch it out to the black and gray carbon fiber to break up the orange, and I haven't found one that will allow me to keep it. I may forgo the cover in the future though to allow for the can simply because I can see the benefit in adding it. I think my next move is the tuner. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,709 Posts
First and foremost....Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your new Challenger! :cheers:

Second and this is just a piece of advice from someone who didn't take his own advice. Set your budget and add 15-20% to it because once you get started, it only gets worse! :D

If you raced GN's, then you probably already know that though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome and you'll love your Challenger. Lots of good advice so far in this thread. Billet Technology and Speedlogix both make a Catch Can you can install and keep your engine cover. (I didn't have any trouble keeping mine on my '10 R/T)

Best mods for easy HP:

- DiabloSport Tuner w/ Diablosport tune (a custom tune can be added later and you'll need the tool to do so)
- CAI (looks like you already have one on the car)
- Exhaust (open it up: no cats or install highflow cats, eliminate the center muffler and the resonators at the end of the exhaust system, headers or SRT factory exhaust manifolds which are shorty headers) Personally, I like the Jones Full Boar mufflers to replace the factory center muffler. They are inexpensive, sound great particularly after some mileage.

Be warned, after Mod Fever hits the only cure is more Mods!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts