Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has installed a 85mm TB? Which one did you pick and what kind of performance do you get?

·
Account Disabled by User
135 Posts
Congrats on your paper weight ;)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
If your going to do this mod it will help throttle response you won't get any extra hp from it unless you are adding other items to the exhaust system and getting a custom tune... I went with Modern Muscle one of the vendors here :)
http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/

·
Registered
171 Posts
85mm TB

To say adding a larger TB is a waste of money or a paper weight is also incorrect. However, installing a more free flowing Air Intake and a TB will most definitely increase performance. I will agree though that there is a point of diminishing returns, but since cars have become more computer-oriented over the years I think we've seen that mostly in exhaust. Go too big and you lose performance. But as far as intakes go, the bigger, smoother, colder, free-flowing the air, the more performance benefits, period. I also agree with 70TA-09RT getting a custom tune would help. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
BBK 90MM all the way

Can't vouch for the others but I purchased a BBK 90MM throttle body and had my car dyno'd one pull with the stock and two pulls with the BBK. I changed nothing else with those two pulls and gained 15HP to the rear wheels. The box said upwards of 30HP but I didn't see that. I was also running 5% lean at WOT with the BBK.

Overall I am very pleased with it and would do it again.

Good luck on your choice

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on your paper weight ;)
In the past I have heard it's a paperweight and others who state 30 rwhp gains. Interesting... Hopefully more folks will add to this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
In the past I have heard it's a paperweight and others who state 30 rwhp gains. Interesting... Hopefully more folks will add to this thread.

Well people say catch cans are useless too but doesn’t make it true its just there opinion. 85-87mm Ported or cast will net you around 10-15hp on most stock and moderately modded rides. One of the most significant factors is the better throttle response.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I purchased the Arrington 85mm TB.
It is a true 85, a completely different casting than the OEM.
As you can see it's the large one to the left of the stock 80mm.
This will help with a stroker where more volume is needed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got the Modern Muscle 85mm TB about 2 years ago on a group buy. It's been sitting in the box since I got it. After buying it, pretty much everyone was saying they don't work so, I never put it on my car. I now have JBA shorties, K&N CAI and a Magnaflow catback on my '10 5.7. I also have a Predator that I haven't used yet. If i put this TB on, will I have to change the fuel ratio's ? I have no idea how to data log. Can I do this with the Predator? I'm not trying to hijack this thread...just thoroughly confused:scratchhead:

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I got the Modern Muscle 85mm TB about 2 years ago on a group buy. It's been sitting in the box since I got it. After buying it, pretty much everyone was saying they don't work so, I never put it on my car. I now have JBA shorties, K&N CAI and a Magnaflow catback on my '10 5.7. I also have a Predator that I haven't used yet. If i put this TB on, will I have to change the fuel ratio's ? I have no idea how to data log. Can I do this with the Predator? I'm not trying to hijack this thread...just thoroughly confused:scratchhead:
You should try it and form your own opinion. Who cares what others say?

Unless it makes your car explode :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should try it and form your own opinion. Who cares what others say?

Unless it makes your car explode :)
Awesome idea! Wait, till car explodes? Hmmmmmm...

Wait, will it be covered under warranty? I would think exploding cars would be. Time to buy a fire suit!

·
Registered
171 Posts
No fuel or air ratios will need to be altered, It is a simple bolt on and go!! I noticed an improvement in throttle response. It will give you 6 to 8 more HP, I believe maybe more. You are feeding the engine more air and with that, resulting in more POWER.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So are 85 and 87 "plug and play"? No tuning required? Or tuning recommended?

90 mm tuning required?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
So are 85 and 87 "plug and play"? No tuning required? Or tuning recommended?

90 mm tuning required?
Ported factory T/Bs will not require tuning on slightly modified vehicles. Heads/Cam strokers may need some "Fine tuning"

Same goes with after market..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts